Indicators not working

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by viper_biker, Aug 24, 2013.

1. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

First of all, it's a 2006 model. Bike was MoT'd about 2 months ago and everything was honky dory, bike has sat up in the garage pretty much since then. I went to take the bike to work last week and the indicators just don't work. Left side, right side and hazard lights don't light and neither does the directional arrows on the dash.

So far I've checked the following,
    Fuse - Not blown, but replaced anyway. Is getting 12v.
    Relay - Bench tested from a 9v battery and does click when given power and has 9v on the way out.
    All indicator bulbs are working 100%.
    I've bridged the loom with the relay removed and the indicators will come on solid (no flasher relay, so they don't flash) and the indicator lights on the dash also comes on.

Other things I've checked is the earth, which is sound, there's 12v reaching the clock loom, 12v going to the front loom harness, 12v is getting to the relay, but for some odd reason only 2v coming out, The left side switch-gear on the other hand is showing 0.2v in a neutral state, but when selecting the left, right and hazard lights, this dropped to 0v.

I have my own relay, borrowed a brand new one from Honda and also got a 3rd relay from ColinBR on here (cheers bud) and the issue persists.

Anyone any other ideas or suggestions?

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I think the switch gear showing a drop from 0.2v to 0v is a red herring as it's probably dropping under load when you flick the indicator switch.

When you bridge the indicator relay, presumably with the relay itself removed, are you then flicking the indicator switch either way to get 12v out (or indicator lights on)?

Does the bike also start and run ok?

3. viper_biker

I tend to agree with you, but as you say, with the relay removed and the old paper-clip bridge the lights came on as I changed from left to right on the switchgear, the corresponding indicator set came on, so I thought that would have dismissed the switch being knackered.

As for the bike, it runs 100%.

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Well your power up to the relay is ok and so is the switch gear.

Itreally does sound like the relay still except for fact you've already tried 2 others. Is there anything else that can affect/control the relay?

Who's gonna be first to post a diagram to check then?

#4 Muffking, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  5. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

The fact everything seems to work with the relay bridged I would still assume it is at fault.
    Oops,just noticed you tried 2 others.
    How are the contacts to the relay,on my 600RR I had similar problem as you,good clean up of all contacts fixed it.

#5 RRoss, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

My indicator switch was the cause of mine 2 months back, luckily i got away with just cleaning the switch, well that's a lie luckily I got away with Arthur cleaning the switch

Mine was working on and off

7. viper_biker

Switch cleaned, relay contacts cleaned, switch gear connector block cleaned and everything else I seen got cleaned and still no working indicators. Is it worth while trying another relay? I know the chances are pretty unlikely that 3 switches are done. Trying to see if anyone local with an 06/07 bike will let me try/borrow a few bits and just make sure things are working or not.

Anyone know if an 08+ switchgear is compatible? Her's mine,

[​IMG]

8. viper_biker

Going to re-visit this for historical search reasons.

Had a mate (a household spark) look at it today and figured out that the fault was and also fixed it. There is a wire somewhere in the loom that knackered. Today I learned, the bike has 2 fuses that run through the relay and I also learned, that the hazard light can be left on with the key removed. The wire involved runs from the indicators, relay, fuse box, switchgear and believe it or not, the alarm/immobiliser. The simplest way to fix it was to bridge the red/silver wire on the fuse box and the same wire in the relay.

Although the scan is not the greatest, it seems very difficult to find a wiring loom for an 06/07, here's what we went off,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Philhasasti

Philhasasti Active Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed mate, that's been annoying you for quite a while!! Lol did Phil fix it?

10. viper_biker

Did he fuck, I got a fella that know his arse from his elbow to look at it ;-)

11. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you get hazards on the 06? don't on the 5 :(

12. Philhasasti

Philhasasti Active Member

Hahaha

13. viper_biker

Yes. 04/05 relay is only a 3 prong relay behind the clocks whereas the 06+ has a 4 prong relay behind the left side fairing.

14. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I have relocated mine now behind the left pannel as nose off, lights out was a pain in arse! but I always thought hazards were on 08+
    I wonder if I could work some hazards into mine

15. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

The indicator system will remain active if the hazards are activated before ignition/key is removed so that you can leave roadside unattended without leaving your key on ,hence why there are 2 fuses ,1 for ignition position hazards, the other to keep the system active once it's been operated and the key then removed.

16. mattmk1

mattmk1 Active Member

I Think im having the same problem with this...and its driving me wild.

12V and a good earth at the relay connector. Bridge the pins and i can have all four indicators light permanently, use the switchgear and i get left/right lamps as asked for.

Tried 3 different relays and problem persists.

Does anyone have a clearer wiring diagram for the 06/07???