07 or 08?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Owen2737, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

Going to look at a couple of blades at the weekend.Both similar miles (approx 15k) and condition.Less than £1000 price difference.One is the 2007 model the other 2008.Any recommendations for one or the other as regards performance/reliability/handling etc?TIA.

2. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Having owned both a RR7 and a RR-B (current bike) I’d say it’s a close call. For me, the RR7 looked more aggressive and I preferred the hydraulic clutch, would I have another? Probably not. RR-B looks has grown on me, hated them when I got my 7, better mod parts imo for the 08 onwards as most parts fit to a 16. Would I have another? I doubt it. Would go for an 14-16 SP next. It’s a tough call, both are good bikes, what’s the specs of both bikes?

3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

So to summarise Owen, I’ve been no help at all :D. Sorry! Both are good bikes, for me it would be mileage, colour scheme, history and which is in better nick, also what dealer (of dealer bikes) they were at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

Both are fairly similar specs. Just the usual... End can, tail tidy, seat cowl.They are both private sales. The 07 is red/black, the 08 is white /black. I'm leaning towards the 07 simply on looks and colour as I prefer the shape of the 07.However if the 08 was a massive step forward riding/performance wise I could live with the colour/looks.

5. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Both will be due a shim check at that mileage o_O 07 looks better ,,,,,,, last Honda to win the WSBK title and first to do 130 lap at IOM ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I had an 05, 06, 08 and 12.

The 08 & 12 were better dailies for me, used to commute and ride all year round. I thought they had a better frontend too, I know that can be dependant on a number of things, but out the box the 08/12 felt like they handled better. Also stopped my rucksack from stinking from the underseat exhausts. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Buy on condition. In the real world, there's little to chose between them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gatsoburner

Gatsoburner New Member

07, looks the dogs but i'm well bias. Had the red n black 10 years ago and loved the colour scheme and looks, riding was very forgiving and a pure joy.
    Plenty 08 onwards knocking about but i went for the Repsol 07 last year.

when you go in the garage just to look at it...its the one

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

Tis one of the best looking blades imo!

10. Gatsoburner

Gatsoburner New Member

sounds like a quote from someone to me....;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

12. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

07 was last of underseat and had 4 years of development and testing behind in. 08 was first of newer model, some had an oil burning issue.

If they are comparable for condition I would take the 07 as personally I think they look better.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Spot on assessment, had an RR6 which is identical to the 7 and not only is it miles better looking than the 8, (obviously that’s a personal opinion that won’t be shared by all), but the above sums it up nicely. IMO history will be kinder to the 6/7 than the following few years which looked bug like to me, albeit they handled very well and had a decent motor after the first couple of years issues, Hondas always benefit from development and history shows 3 years into the life cycle they are very good bikes by then.

Edit.... sorry just read what I wrote, what a load of bollox, had a 2010, so that was 3 years into the model cycle and it was the worst bucket of shite I ever had the misfortune to own.... C-ABS !!!!!!
    Buy the RR7 at all costs.

#13 Kentblade, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

Lmfao_On looks alone it would have to be the RR7 and as NS400R said above,on the road I'll probably not see much difference performance wise.Also like the fact that the RR7 was well on in the development cycle as opposed to the "new" RR8.So long as there's no major issues to worry about,I'll probably go for the 7(dependant on condition obviously).

15. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Had an RR7 from new and gave me more trouble than any of the previous or later ones. Must have been a one off. Niggles which got worse. The niggliest was the ignition. Turn off ign. to get petrol and you could never be sure it would turn again when you put the key back. Dealer couldn't find a fault. Did it with multiple keys. Electrical faults, gears slipping out of mesh, etc. Interestingly it was the one bike I bought from one of those Bike Supermarkets as they had a good deal and I'd just written off my yellow and black 05 plate under a Focus and got notalot from the insurance. Always bought from main dealers since.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Just thought I'd throw this in there to confuse matters.

I ran an 08 for 4 years, all year round, all weathers. Even rode home through a blizzard that saw cars stopped at the side of the road and another time flooding that came over the the height of the footpegs. Never missed a beat, didn't burn a drop of oil.

I then traded it for an 2012 non-abs and the same, no issues, never missed a beat. Owned both bikes from new. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Screenshot_20210206-103635.png

Loved my RR6. Had it for 12 years. Only complaint from me was the clutch was heavy so a pain in the Alps. Which is a major reason I changed to the '17 SP.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

Just back from looking at both bikes.The 08 bike showed signs of being up the road at some point so walked away from that one.The 07 bike looked in very good condition and supposedly came with all paperwork.Turned out it had a few old mot's and that was it.No handbook,service record,receipts or anything else.Whilst a nice bike,I think I'm going to pass on it as I like some documentation to back up the bikes history.So back to the drawing board.The search continues...

• Like Like x 1
  19. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Love this pic with the pillion! I've only had my 9 year old niece on the back :D

As a red/black RR6 owner I'd also say you're better off with the earlier bike. Values of nice ones are rising, whereas the later bikes are two a penny and lots have been modded in unpleasant ways.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I think you are making the right choice as i'd be of the same opinion - history/paperwork is essential for me to buy a bike. Biding your time will result in the perfect bike and when i've been looking for a new bike I love the searching to be honest - I just enjoy looking at bikes and cars.

• Like Like x 1