16k service - elusive air filter for 2017 RA-H?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Ice Doc, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Took my 2017 (RA-H) model bike in for its 16k mile service last Thursday, to my local Honda dealer. They still have it 8 days later. Apparently the service was completed by the end of the 2nd day except that they are still waiting for a new air filter to be supplied. Seems the current situation combined with the Honda IT system ransomware attack has caused issues in the supply chain, at least around here in Dartford, Kent.

Just wondered if anyone else has had their 16k mile service done recently (on an RA-H or RA-J) or, if anyone's popping in to their local dealer, find out whether they've got a new air filter (then I can suggest mine gets in touch).. Still, the weather's not great at the moment, so I don't see any point in creating a fuss - I'd normally be commuting to work in central London every weekday, but as we all know, these still aren't normal times.

Can't wait to get back out once summer returns (hopeful look) and go for a ride without thinking of an excuse for why I'm out on my bike should I be stopped by the local constabulary.

2. Slick

Slick Elite Member

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Thanks, just ordered one - will drop it off at my dealer and ask them to put it in (and send me the genuine one when they get it). I'd rather not have to take the fairings off to put the original in - presumably Honda won't be funny about my warranty (as I have an extended 4 year warranty that expires in March 2022).

Great tip, thanks!

4. Slick

Slick Elite Member

not sure on the warranty side of things, but I'm sure the dealer will highlight any problems.

Fortunately the price of the thing isn't going to break the bank so you could sell on here easier or save for a raining day.

5. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Yep, certainly not enough cash to be worrying overly about it. A few months ago I'd have said it's less than a tank of fuel for the bike, but not sure that's true now. Definitely a lot cheaper than a K&N air filter I bought for my car a few years ago (although not sure why I bothered).

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

That’s funny, 3 years ago had the 12 k service done. It took them 3 days longer. The reason : waiting for Honda air filter to arrive:rolleyes:
    BTW on mine the filter is changed every 12k (RR8)

7. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Well I guess I'm sympathetic at the moment given everything is in a mess including Honda's computer network.. Hiflo filter from eBay should be with me by Thurs next week, so I'll have my bike back by next weekend for sure.. No news from Honda dealer so far today, so I'm assuming this is day #9.. Odd, if it were me, I'd have ordered the parts in (and have them) before I confirmed the booking with the client..

@bonjo - did you have a look at your old 12k mileage filter - did it look rotten, or just a bit dusty? Whenever I've changed my car's air filter it always just looks a bit dusty (I'm tempted to brush and vacuum clean them and put them back and sometimes do - obviously keep the K&N one).

8. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

My OEM filter was physically fine no rotting or defects just the surface had filth deposited on it and lot’s of dead insects as you would expect, it had done it’s job properly. I would not try to cleanup the paper filter after 12k. Dust and crap would have reduced the air flow. But certainly recommend vacuuming in between 12k.
    I’m personally not fond of filters needing oiling.
    How about a sprint filter?:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slick

Slick Elite Member

my BMC has been relegated to the shelf - just cant be bother to clean, dry then oil.

10. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Well I got a Hiflo off eBay for £16 and my local Honda dealer was happy to install it - and they'll let me have the Honda part once it arrives which I can either swap in or keep as a spare I guess. I'm just pleased to have my bike back after being with Honda for more than two weeks..

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

I'm with you, anything that resembles high maintenance is out - apart from the Mrs Ice Doc of course :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Last time I cleaned my BMC I was vigorously swinging it to remove excess water and managed to clock my 2 year old on the head.
    Luckily the scar is hidden under his eyebrow :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I tried k&n many years ago on my car. The cleaning and oiling was too much hassle so went off this type of filters for good

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

If you aren't a fan of taking the fairings off, then you 100% won't want to change the air filter then...tank off, wires everywhere..fun to be had by all haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

I don't think I like your idea of "fun".. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Many years ago I was on my house roof installing a new TV arial, when I dropped a spanner. Whilst it was sliding the the roof slates I was chanting to myself "miss car, hit kid - miss car, hit kid". It hit the car.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Hewy78

Hewy78 New Member

HI, Can anyone tell me the procedure of how to access the air filter, the dealer I bought my bike from overfilled oil by around 800ml and I did around 400 miles before realising, I just want to check oil is not/has not been sucked up into the air filter, did NC500 last week and covered around 1300 miles on mixed roads and I sure its burnt some oil. not sure what dealer could do about that, had bike a month.... its a 2018 cbr1000rr..

18. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

19. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

If the link above works should be some pictures showing how to get at the air filter. Wasn't sure how to just upload as saying files too big. Did mine last week took about 30mins

20. keithg1748

keithg1748 Active Member

is this any good , did mine a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with a sprint p08 filter .

Attached Files: