17 SP Gearbox issues *or non sp with Honda quickshifter add on*

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Alan-lee, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their gearbox/quickshifter on the new blades?

I have been having issues where it started out as 4th to 5th and 5th to 4th it pops into gear but the dash registers a “-“ on the screen and it takes anything up to 5 seconds to actually go into gear.

Then last night I had a scary moment trying to overtake and going from 5th to 6th it popped into gear mid overtake then popped out, rev’ing the head off itself and then popped back in, again about 5 seconds later although it felt like an absolute life time when I was mid overtake.

I’ve seen a few others on Instagram complaining of the same thing and getting no where with Honda and wanted to try and collate some data to take back to them as for the price of the bike and considering it has only had its first service it is nothing short of awful

Thanks folks

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Watched a review of sportsbikes on youtube yesterday and they picked up on the blade giving false neutrals, said they had also had them on their road review of them as well.

Maybe a chance for Honda to try and redeem themselves after the ABS debacle?

3. Hashlak

Hashlak New Member

Hey buddy,

I have had a similar issue happen to me twice.

First time it happened I did not have a quickshifter installed so I naturally assumed that this was rider error. It was exactly as you describe, from 4th to 5th it showed - sign and then after a delay it went into gear with a jerk.

Second time I had the woolich quickshifter installed and did the same thing from 4th - 5th again. Shifted up and it showed - then revved like a mofo by itself and went into gear with a little jerk lol.

Ive done about 4,000km on the bike and trackdays but this has only happened twice so I haven't really been concerned about it. I have a feeling its rider error. 99% she performs flawlessly.

Also with the quickshifter, its designed to be used had high rpm with 60/70% throttle or above I believe.

Anyway hope that helps, you are not the only one that has faced this :)

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Had no problems with mine and I've used it through a variety of rev ranges. (Mine is factory installed, not aftermarket)

Have you tried changing the sensitivity/load level of the shifter? See P54 of the Owner's Manual. Setting it to '1' is more sensitive and might resolve problem.

Also, for those new to quickshifters, there is a natural tendency to release or back off the throttle as if doing a normal gear change. Doing so will register on the QS and cause delay or non-function.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

My mates SP is at the dealers for this very problem atm. His jumped out of gear into a false neutral whilst downshifting into a corner at donny, he ended up in the gravel thankfully keeping the bike upright. It happened a few times after that too.

Hes currently in a battle with honda uk, the dealer has admitted there is an issue but honda uk say user error so will not approve any warranty work.

Hes been without the bike for 3 weeks now and nothing has been done. Hes trying to reject the bike atm as its not fit for purpose.

Im gutted for him as this isnt the first issue hes had, and he put everything into getting this as his dream bike. Hes had shockingly bad service since the day he bought the bike and id bet its the last Honda he will have.

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Very sad story tuk tuk. For those of us with Honda at the core of our heart, it pains to hear of Honda UK's, and some dealers attitudes to problems. Deflect and ignore, and 'user error' seem to crop up so often. Despite my comments in the above post (about changing QS settings) we KNOW when we are at fault with respect to changing gears. We might kick ourselves in the head for it, but on the other hand, we also know when a bike jumps out of gear - by itself. Has Honda learnt nothing from the Guy Martin/John McGuinness 'mishaps'?

7. dgr

dgr Active Member

I haven't had any issues with it popping out of gear but I have seen the '-' a few times resulting in some frantic clutch and gear lever action. I can't be sure that it isn't user error though. I don't have the quickshifter and sometimes I suspect I'm guilty of being a little too gentle with the gear change.

It does add an element of doubt that I'd rather wasn't there.

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I wonder if you (dgr) might benefit by dropping down the gear lever via its adjustment. Could make a world of difference! (PS. Not treating you like an idiot, but sometimes we overlook the simplest things)

9. Alan-lee

Alan-lee Active Member

All comments appreciated and noted but I can assure you it isn’t rider error..

after the first few times it happened I have since been applying much more pressure than even my 600rr with no quickshifter would take to shift between gears it’s not that it doesn’t shift it’s that it doesn’t engage properly if that makes sense meaning your stuck in limbo between gears!

I will try quickshifter adjustment but i highly doubt that will make a difference..

I assumed that a quickshifter was for use in any gear no matter how hard or not you are going. The mate of mine who bought a new Beamer at the same time says he can quick shift with ease at any speed and any amount of throttle both up and down yet the Honda seems to struggle

10. raphael

raphael Elite Member

good old Honda customer service again... so poor

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

12. dgr

dgr Active Member

That would certainly help apply upward pressure on the lever as long as I can get my toe under the lever in the first place. I have adjusted the lever as high as it will go as I have poor ankle extension and it feels better that way. I've experienced the problem as much downshifting as up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I had it not release a gear properly on the way home yesterday, I put it down to heat.

It was a hot commute through heavy traffic, had to sit in it for a while with a queue over a rail bridge. I had to block shift down a couple of gears to stop part way down the queuing traffic and the second gear didn't release properly, then went with a noticeable clunk before I had to get my feet down.

Mine's a standard Blade with no quick shifter and has felt noticeably rough with the heat. The bike's hitting 102/103ish and the fan's kicking in multiple times on the way home due to the weight of traffic. Its felt really smooth before the weather heated up so I'll be interested to see if it eases when it cools down again.

14. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Is there any mechanical difference between the 17+ gearbox and the 08+ ?

15. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

The dealer made a point of talking about how nice this box was, so I'm fairly sure it is different.

After 8 Blades I'd actually thought this was the nicest/smoothest Honda gearbox I'd used. Ironically I'd only thought that the day before it happened. I'm fairly sure it'll settle down again.

16. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

User error PMSL

Honda must think a complete bunch of wan*ers buy and ride their bikes, first a whole raft of them with ABS bikes, many very experienced riders, somehow forgot how to brake correctly , and any issues are user error, now they appear not be able to change gear correctly.

What a scum company Honda UK has turned into, total contempt for their customers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Honda are becoming the Apple of the motorbike world. Deny any problem exists and blame the customer. Wonder how long before the Bike Mags withdraw their comments on the false neutrals?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Fast bikes magazine sports bike of the year 2018 moaned about the new blades gearbox giving false neutrals too.

They elude in the video that it's something that you might only see when pushing the bike hard.

19. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I have had two false neutrals on my sp going down the box the up shift is silky smooth. I do think both mine have been rider error just didn’t seem like I put enough pressure on lever?? I wouldn’t want this to happen on track or fly in too my favourite twistys.

Recently done 3 days at Brno in the garage was 3 s1000rr (2015-2017)all at some point came in the garage and complained of the same thing, two of them running into the gravel.

20. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

My S1000XR quickshifter isn't perfect, now and again it will miss an upshift. But it's always lever pressure related or rev related, which is user error. It's always predictable and never does something I don't expect it to. Have never known it to get lost between 2 gears either, it either shifts up cleanly and stays in gear or it doesn't shift at all because incorrect lever pressure or revs.

Best quickshifter I've tried is on the new triumph speed RS. Any revs, up or down it's perfect. But the gearbox is better on the 2015 blade, clutchless up shifts on that are sublime. Perhaps the new blades quickshifter just has a few gremlins in the electronics, can't imagine the gearbox has changed much for the new blade?

Don't fancy anybodys chances of getting to the bottom of their issue through honda though.