1998-2002 Yamaha R1

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by PauloHRC, Nov 16, 2018.

1. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Anyone had any experience early R1's? I'm looking at them as I've failed to find a 954rr that comes up to scratch and within budget.

There are still a few decent one's around and just wanted something iconic. An early red and white one would be first choice but they are few and far between in good nic.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Paul, join the R1 forum and you could be first to hear of a good bike. (think of my Aprilia)

Also, there's a couple/few? R1 owners on here who I'm sure will weigh in later on. Don't be too impatient though - all the good winter sellers are still getting in their last miles on both 954s and R1s. Cheers;).

• Like Like x 2
  3. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

eh...….don't understand @nigelrb ?? and what's up with your RSV??

re do the first part of the post please!o_O

4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

He means he found his rsv on a forum...therefore he's suggesting you join/check out the R1 forum in case there are any for sale/info on there...:rolleyes:

Your Faithfull (and long suffering ) Secretary

Ms Lozzy

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Oh I seeeeeee!!!

I thought he was saying they're all shite! and that his RSV was haha:D

6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Lol.....durrrr

YearlyAjarAssassinbug-small.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Bleedin' heck Paul. You had a hard week? I didn't even use big words or get my countries mixed up.:D

@Lozzy is bang on; the reference was to my scoring the Ape on this forum. Nothing about them being shite - I am very happy!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

It's licking all them stickers he buys that's done it lol

durr.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I've had a look on the R1 forum........Its just not the same, no likey!o_O

I think there is more for sale on eBay and bike trader to be fair. The odd one might pop up for sale on forums but it's a very narrow market.

Will see if I get much feedback on here but I've found a 2002 one owner from new, really tidy, been laid up for a few years though.

@nigelrb .........the bikes you have that you don't ride (and I'm not trying to be funny here;)) do you declare them sorn, do you service them etc? For example if you were going to lay one of your bikes up for say 5 years.......would you get it serviced???

Some people swear by an annual service history, I'm one of them. But if you lay a bike up for 5 years there is going to be a huge gap in the service history. Should I be bothered about that or just accept it's been off the road for that period of time. MOTs can verify this !

10. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

My experience is a long time ago, when I had a 954 and my mate had a 2000 R1

What a hoot, where the Blade was quite refined and stable the R1 was a compete hooligans bike, just like the early Blades but more of an animal

Rode it on and off a number of times, right wheelie machine, recommend it to anyone

• Like Like x 1
  11. raphael

raphael Elite Member

i have been having similar discussions while looking at panigale's
    as you can imagine most are kept indoors or heated garages doing a few hundred miles a year or none lol which seems to affects the gaskets as they dry out, also rubber hoses go brittle after awhile due to the same reason.
    me personally would look for a bike thats been used to one that stood for a few years but just my opinion of course

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, some forums have a totally different feel, lack camaraderie, and have members with even more idiosyncrasies than do I. I am a member of a few - relating to my different bikes - and it's really only this one and the MV Forum (which @Lozzy knows about when she was 'stalking' me during my hiatus:)) that I really come to grips with and enjoy.

I wouldn't have expected that you'd find a bike on there straight away, but it's a resource to wisely keep tabs on

I couldn't have a bike and lay it up for 6 months, let alone 5 years!

I generally have 2 or 3 on sorn, presently the VF, RR4 and MV. However, I will never SORN them for more than 2 months at a stretch because I believe in the need to give them frequent runs. Over summer I don't SORN any. I was paying Road Tax 12-monthly in advance and then losing a bit when I SORNed the bikes. Now, I do Direct Debit at 7.70 per month and when I want to SORN a certain bike, I'll do it on the 28th of a given month so the DD is cancelled in time. When I re-tax, I'll do it on the first day of the selected month.

I am a firm believer in oil and filter changes even for bikes that might only do 1,000 miles per year. All other scheduled services are done to manufacturer's requirements. You might have read some months back that my 2011 underwent the 16,000 major service (valve shims etc) which, unfortunately, set me back a tad over 400. The MV needed fork seals and the VF needed a rear shock. I say this only to let you know that it can be an expensive hobby, but an R1 being newer would probably not hit your pockets too much. Your advice, as well as a couple of others, has tipped me off that the Ape might be a tad demanding also.

I think we all accept/absorb these 'overheads' as part of the pleasure of our chosen past time. Whilst there are many gambling away 100s per week, or smoking, drinking, or eating pies to excess, we at least have a great deal to show for our splurges.

If you actually FOUND a bike that had been laid up for 5 years, you'd be fairly confident of the owner's nature and his feedback about the mileage as well as MoT history. If a person has GENUINELY laid up the bike for a long period, he is very likely a proud owner and would welcome you to view his garage/lounge room or place of storage as verification. If there's no evidence of this, I'd be wary. I'd also be wary of the old 'selling for a friend' line, despite my doing EXACTLY that just a week ago:rolleyes:. Final tip: check the date stamp on the tyres. It would be suss if there's a more recent stamping than 5-year's earlier!;)

13. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Hiatus.........brilliant !!:D

The bike I've found is a 1 owner from new, an old boy pushing 70 apparently so I doubt it's been wheelied or abused, it's totally standard and even has new tyres and sprocket/chain, MOT until August 2019.

I think it's as good as I'm gonna get, my only gripe at present is travelling 2.5 hrs to see it or just getting it delivered and buying it blind. It is always my intention that this will be a project but all I see wrong with this bike is it's lack of use for the last 7 or 8 years of it's life. Mirroring what @raphael said, I'd prefer something that's had regular recent use. I suppose I can put right whatever might be wrong or perished etc!

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Generally can't go wrong with a one owner. Presumably the mileage is low for its year and that would make it a good proposition. Have a chat with the seller - you'll get a gut feel from there.

Delivery can have its hassles. A member very recently suggested I hire a van, get some straps and a bit of diesel and job's done. Just a thought:D:D!!

15. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Stalking!! :eek: o_O

I was merely the foot soldier looking for signs of life before we came down to pick your lock & divvy your bikes out ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Mileage is 21k but on a 16 year old bike equates too 1300 miles per year. Very average if not low I'd say.

Hmm yeah I remember giving you that advice :rolleyes: but that was after you'd been let down. This dealer is offering delivery for £99! It is wether I go against my rule of buying blind. Hey it's worked for you so far @nigelrb :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

True Paul. No probs at all. We can generally make a call by the look of the bike and discussions with the owner.

Mileage is okay, depending upon how much of a factor that is for you. Holding out could see you pick up a sub-10,000 miler for similar money. They often pop up. All mine. except the NS were 4,500 to 9.000 milers.

I agree that delivery price makes it a more viable proposition than van hire!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. zxrob

zxrob Active Member

I've had a couple of them , 1998 4XV and a 2001 5JJ

Great bikes, lairy as fook, bags of character, good torque, go get one:)

This is my 4xv trackbike, what a weapon in its day

Rob

DSC_9451.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  20. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

had a fair few r1s although the early 1st ones are most sought after I found the 2001/2002 just before the fuel injection came in to be the best and I know on the wrong site to say it but way ahead of same year blade

• Agree Agree x 1