2006/2007 regulator rectifier

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Lock, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Looks like my regulator/rectifier might be on the blink, charging at about 14.2v when first started, but when bit warm and revs drop to normal tickover, voltage drops to about 12.5v. Goes back up to around 14v when i rev it up but drops back down again. Also did a diode check across the rectifier and can get reading with on one of black wire to the yellow but not on the red wire to the yellow (followed the check as suggested on Electrexworld.com as has a replacement RR on there already)

So was looking at either getting a new one - can get off eBay for around £50 (but are they ok quality as some are up to £120!) or get a second hand original one for around £30. Question is there are some 2006/2007 shown as the SH678 and others as FH008 - the latter having chamfered off corners (and also in some adverts being listed for later models)

Question is are these interchangeable and is one better than the other? Seems the FH is a later version, maybe modified? Have seen some new ones listed for 2004-2010 so maybe either is fine

2. Fatboy

Fatboy Active Member

I would go the the FH (Mosfet) a better R/R in my feeble opinion:)

3. Lock

Lock Active Member

Looks like the Regulator Rectifier is not good, Electerworld got back to me and said from details I provided would seem so. They are going to check how old this is, but probably 2.5 years old tops (was on when I bought the bike). Was thinking of going second hand just to get bike back on road again, anyone know if the 2008 onwards Fh008 will work. Seen some adverts listing that code for 2006/2007 but also the SH as well (think that's an earlier one).

Battery seems naff too, 13.85v static, but put lights on for 30 seconds, goes down to 12.05v. Cranking goes to around 10v. Shame really as aparently was quite a new Yuasa before I got it.

Got to change stator cover as well, so will look how good the generator is as no point replacing everything else if that's no good (ironic thing is I believe they were all changed at the same time, so odd the rectifier and battery have gone already!)

4. Lock

Lock Active Member

Electrexworld confirm regulator rectifier was manufactured August 2019 - I bought the bike in the November so must have been pretty new (with the stator and Yuasa battery) when I got it. Hot start has always been a problem since I had it, should have tested all components instead of assuming new and OK. So that unit is ~18 months old, probably no more than 2k miles and toast! Only came with a year warrenty, so likely no joy there, but not good for a relatively new unit. Have picked up a Mosfat Fh008eh off a later model blade, so will fit that and see how it goes. Got another stator cover to fit, so will look at condition of 'new' stator and flywheel whilst I'm at it. Got to get charging system right as have a new Shido lithium battery to fit - went all out and got the LTZ10S Cnt version, so can monitor battery health from phone! Is just fully charging with the new Noco Genius 1 charger - sod the expense hey! Hopefully will sort out the hot start issue, but working batter with 240cca instead of 190cca should help too. Little something to do at the weekend!