2010 fireblade whining noise on engine braking

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Getafix, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Getafix

Getafix New Member

Hey guys,

So two weeks ago i was out trying to practice some clutch-up wheelies. I think i might have messed up my clutch (or worse) in the process.

Now the bike is making a loud high pitched whining noise on engine braking. It doesn't do it when i'm accelerating, only if i let go of the throttle & let it engine brake. The noise will stop if i pull in the clutch during engine braking. There's no sound on idle either. So it's only on deceleration while it's in gear.

I also noticed there's some play/slack in the clutch lever, it's moving around an inch or two like it's loose.

So i tried doing some research & keep reading mixed opinions. Some say it's the clutch basket, while others are saying it's the crankshaft & bearings. I also read that there's a way to adjust the balancer gear by adjusting a screw, should i have a go at that?

I'm really pissed off at myself for screwing up my bike, especially since the same day someone rear-ended me. So now i have messed up fairings as well as this damn noise.

Anyone else experienced this on their 2010-11's? Am i going to mess up the transmission by continuing to ride it with this noise? Thanks for the help.

2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

You may not want to hear this but I think that could be your gearbox, I had a car that done something very similar once

3. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

I have had this noise since the day i bought it and not had any issues. a few other people also have this noise too. i dont have a loose clutch though

4. Getafix

Getafix New Member

I even pulled off the clutch cover & inspected the outer plates for cracks etc, but they seemed fine.

5. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Could be the issue detailed below?

[​IMG]

6. Getafix

Getafix New Member

I don't think it's this issue as i checked some videos on youtube related to crankshaft noise & those bikes sound like a tractor on idle. While mine sounds perfectly normal on idle & under acceleration. It just has this high pitched whistling type noise on deceleration.

7. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

8. Getafix

Getafix New Member

Hmmm thanks for the links. It's strange, it's displaying a few of the symptoms of the crankshaft recall but not all.

"First and foremost, at idle your bike would sound like a diesel tractor, when putting a load on the motor by holding the brake and letting the clutch out, it goes away. "

My bike sounds normal at idle but

"When decelerating in first or second gear, you have a very noticable "supercharger" or gear whine when off the gas... This is all caused by the deformity of the primary gear on the end of the crankshaft which attaches to the clutch basket. The crankshaft revision, hardens the crankshaft material to not deform under high stress."

This part however is true, however if i pull in the clutch the noise stops. If it's the primary drivegear, wouldn't it still be engaged regardless of the clutch?

#8 Getafix, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

BIG respect ... clutch-up wheelies in a car :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Years ago My mates dad used to have a robin reliant with a V8 squeezed in it that used to wheelie it was hilarious

• Like Like x 1
  11. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure my 2010 does that anyway .

12. Getafix

Getafix New Member

Been reading up on 1000rr.net & it seems that 2010's already have updated stronger crankshafts but not the primary drivegear. 2011 models received both the updated crankshaft & drivegear.

Also people are saying that if the noise disappears when you pull in the clutch then the crankshaft is not likely to be the problem. It's probably the primary drivegear & clutch components. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

#12 Getafix, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  13. Getafix

Getafix New Member

Anyone else got any opinions on this?!

14. LKCR

LKCR New Member

Hi guys, I have exactly same problem at my 2008. What is the main problem, crankshaft or clutch? Anyone fix it? Pls share your experience.

15. Demmel

Demmel Member

Are you sure that this is not cam chain tensioner?

16. LKCR

LKCR New Member

I don't think so. Sound is same like in this vid, when braking engine.

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

First, it does sound like gearbox whine to me.

Second, did you get riding lessons from @F1CT1C10U5 ? (I know you won't understand this but if you look at some of the stuff on here: https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/my-youtube-channel.35900/ you'll see some similarities:).

Back to your bike though, I think you should get to a Honda dealer or reliable tech ASAP.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. LKCR

LKCR New Member

It's not my video nor my bike, but he has same issue.

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, right!:D

20. sean mcgrath

sean mcgrath Active Member

sorry for digging up and old thread......did you manage to find out what the problem was? ive got similar in second. notice it more dropping from 3 to 2