2017 CBR1000RR build quality

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Ice Doc, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

I've owned my 2017 model CBR1000RR since March 2018 and since then I've ridden around 6,000 miles mostly in and around London (using it as a daily commuter and a weekend fun machine).

However, after only 1500 miles I had another biker come up to me in traffic and alert me to the fact my brake light was permanently on. Turns out the microswitch in the lever had failed, which my local Honda dealer quickly replaced under warranty of course.

After around 4,000 miles I've noticed that the bike has become temperamental about starting from hot - usually after filling up with fuel at my local garage. I've been alternating between Shell V-Power unleaded and Shell unleaded, but mostly use the former. The problem's not so bad yet that I've taken the bike in to be looked at, but now it's going to have to go in to Honda anyway..

.. after 6000 miles, I now have a permanently illuminated PGM-FI warning light displayed, with a large yellow warning being displayed on the LCD display also, so it'll be more time spent at my local Honda dealer.

I've had a quick search on the forum for anyone else suffering from these sorts of problems with their 2017 model, and just wondered whether I'm just unlucky or whether this is a wider problem with the bike from this year. I'm also planning to do a track day, and I'm now starting to get nervous about how reliable the bike will be, or whether instead of tearing round my local circuit (Brands Hatch), my bike will be in the Honda hospital.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I haven't heard of or read about similar problems on any 2017 - 19. I've had a 2018 for nearly a year without probs, but it's fair to say it's done only 1300 miles.

The PGM-FI (fuelling) light is probably relative to the difficult starting when hot. Beyond my knowledge though. Someone on here might know, or, as you suggest, it will be a trip to the dealer.

I'm wondering if you purchased an ex demo bike that might have copped a bit of a hiding, hence the few probs?

3. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Well it's still under warranty of course, so I think I'll be taking it back to the dealer anyway. Bought the bike brand new from Doble Honda - bike had less than 1 mile on it when I collected it and it's not be ridden hard (but I'm looking forward to my first track day with it - as long as it's running ok).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think Doble's will be fine with warranty and problems. They have to good a reputation to jeopardise!

Hope it gets sorted for you because the bike really is brill!;)

5. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

No problems on mine to speak of yet......saying that I've only done 150 miles so far!!

Will keep an eye on things but I hope I don't get the problems you'v highlighted!

Hope it gets sorted! :)

6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I bought mine from Doble though it’s a 2015 model.
    They were very good at sorting the missing key for me and I chose them for their good reputation so I’m sure they’ll help out

Good luck with it.

Brands is my local track too - I’m in Sidcup :cool:

7. D16PJM

D16PJM New Member

im in Sidcup too and at brands in a couple of weekends for a trackday

• Like Like x 1
  8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

How does the starting issue resolve itself? Do you just have to keep the starter held down for a bit longer and it eventually fires? Or do you have to cycle the ignition/kill switch to get it going?

Does the fuel pump definitely prime when you put the ignition on? Just wondering if you've got a dodgy kill switch perhaps? I'm not keen on the way the fireblade will dry crank when the kill switch isn't made, its a little bit misleading.

If you are a commuter I take it your bike sees all weather everyday?

9. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Thanks - will post an update once it's sorted. Very happy with the service from Doble, but will be going to my local dealer (21st Moto) tomorrow morning. It seem's we're nearly neighbours - I'm in Bexley.. Haven't done Brands Hatch on a bike yet, so really looking forward to fixing a date - going to try and get a day when it's the full GP circuit, but I'm sure the Indy circuit is great fun too. Have you done both?

Cheers,
    Rich

10. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Are you doing the GP or Indy circuit? I've never done a track day (didn't get a chance when I had my old CBR600RR) but will be doing one this year for sure. Enjoy - hope the weather is dry.

11. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

So the typical starting problem goes something like this:
    After filling up, I get on the bike, raise the side stand and then try and start the bike. I can hear the noise of the full pump priming, and the start motor runs. However, the bike's display goes mad, almost everything on the screen starts flashing. The bike won't start despite trying for 10-15 seconds. So I turn the ignition off. I then try again (not touching the throttle) - sometimes it starts, sometimes it's the same as before. Once I managed to get it to start by setting about 50% throttle - which then makes me jump when it does fire up (quite loud). The battery appears to have plenty of charge - especially as I usually stop for fuel on my way home (after about 1 hour of engine on time). I'd read somewhere that the throttle can get confused, so on one occasion I did try resetting the throttle by turning the ignition on and twist the throttle through the full range (but don'y try and start it). This didn't seem to help.

I've also tried switching the starter switch to the kill position and retrying, but again that didn't help. Either way, after about 1-2 minutes I've so far always managed to get it going. Once it does start, the bike doesn't run rough at all - smooth as usual. I've noticed the problem is less frequent when the ambient temperature is lower, but even on a day when it was 2 degrees I had a problem getting it restarted. Annoying thing from a diagnosis perspective is that it doesn't always have problems. Cold starting has always been 100% first time..

As for weather - yes, I hate the train & tube so much that I travel in to work in all weather (apart from snow). I haven't washed the bike with a pressure washer and it's kept in a garage overnight, and damp mornings don't seem to cause any starting problems.

Cheers,
    Rich

12. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Post the dates up and maybe I’ll pop down to say hello :D
    Won’t be doing one for a while I’ve just forkedmout for a leather suit so need to recoup some cash :(

I’ve only done the indy circuit which is good fun, did it on my GSXR600 years ago.
    I want to do the full GP circuit.
    I’ve seen No Limits have a couple of dates for the GP circuit later in the year so may well try for one of those.

13. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

If the display is going mad/flashing when you are holding the starter I would be looking at the battery not providing enough umph!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lacon

Lacon New Member

Sorry to hear about the issues - I’ve got a 2018 model i collected a few weeks back. Not had any issues but put 200 miles on it!

I notice a few of you are in south London - I’m in north London but looking for people to go for rides with. There’s a group on here called “London bikers” (or similar) if you’d like to join (there’s only two of us and we haven’t been out yet!).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

I had the brake light on permanently, but i assumed it was due to the rear sets I had fitted, i just removed the spring so have no brake light from rear brake, but as i never use rear only I don't see it as a problem until MOT time
    I'll check the switch at some point

16. dgr

dgr Active Member

I've done just over 6000 miles on my standard 2017 in the past 12 months. I used supermarket unleaded for most of those miles but recently switched to branded fuel. Perversely the hot starting seems worse than on the cheap stuff. It never takes 10-15 seconds though.

17. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Seems that's what the guys at the Honda dealer think too. Hmm, seems odd given I'd expect the battery to be fully charged after an hour on the road - especially as then after a short ride home, the bike starts smoothly the next day - even in super chilly mornings.

18. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Sounds good to me, although I might be a bit too old and slow for anyone wanting to make "quick progress" on a ride out..

19. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

So, just back from the Honda garage (21st Moto) and the problem with the PGM-FI error was " CODE 67-1 FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR". I'm told that this is an error that can occur when the rear wheel is rotating faster than the front wheel (i.e. when the bike's front wheel is up in the air). So, having started the engine whilst the bike was on its Abba Stand seems to have caused this - although I've done this before without a problem and it never happened with my 2012 model CBR600RR. Apparently no way to clear it other than plugging in a diagnostic tool to clear the error code - anyone know how much these are, or even if they can be bought by non-Honda people?

Has anyone done a wheelie on their 2017 or later blade? (Of course, if you have, this would have been on a track or on your own private estate!). If so, have you seen this error come up? Seems to me that when I go on a track day, chances are I'll get this warning light come up.. It seems odd that this warning indicator covers a whole host of potential problems, and there's no way to reset the warning light without an appropriately equipped laptop. So I'm pleased the fault wasn't anything serious.

As for the rest of the bike health after 6000 miles, I was informed that the engine oil had been filled above the recommended level. Interesting since I'd not put any oil in this bike.. ever. So it must have been overfilled when 21st Moto did its 600 mile service some 11 months ago now. So I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the hot-starting problem - but I can't think why it would. Anyway, they've removed a small amount of oil and I'll see if this makes any difference.Oh and there's not a lot of tread left on my tyres - hopefully can last until the weather warms up and I'll get some Pirelli Diabolo put on in time for a track day.

20. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

That certainly has the odour of bovine excrement. If popping wheelies caused the error you would not be the first to learn this as plenty of others spend time on the rear wheel. Also what happens when the rear wheel breaks traction, and like you say what about people running in gear whilst the bike is on stands? Something in niggling at the back of my brain that the rear wheel does normally spin faster, just can't find anything to back that up.

Post here https://www.1000rr.net/forums/1000r...r100rr-dyno-issues.html#/topics/242385?page=1 says it is for no signal which would make more sense.

• Like Like x 1