2017 cbr1000rr DTC 51 after installing rearsets HELP

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Dr. Speed Lemon, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Dr. Speed Lemon

Dr. Speed Lemon New Member

I just put woodcraft rearsets and clip ons on my bike. I took it for a spirited ride and everything was great for the 1st hour. Then the abs light started flashing and the bike died. I tried starting it but the battery sounded dead and the dash went out. So I tried push starting it. It would come on for a second and die. While I was waiting for my wife to pick me up I noticed the rear master cylinder was loose so I tightened it. The bike started went 50 feet and then died again. I got the bike home charged the battery road it around the block and the check engine light was off. Then the abs started flashing again and the bike died. The only thing I changed which could be the culprit is I got rid of the kick stand sensor, but it did find with it missing at a recent track day. I also changed the brake light sensor with a woodcraft banjo pressure sensor switch. I did not change the brake fluid when I did this however the brake still felt firm. Could a small bubble do this? Anyway if you guys know what this could be, any help would be greatly appreciated. If it's the abs I would prefer to do with out this. I have 3 abs fuses however when I pull one the bike either doesnt work or the dash shows a giant check engine light. I would eventually like to run direct lines and do away with abs altogether. PLEASE HELP

2. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

I don't know much about ABS, but when I had an RSV4 I was told I'd need to bleed the system completely (inc ABS) which is apparently more technical if I wanted rearsets on.. From what I've heard if you're anti ABS then you might as well rip it out and save a couple of KG's while you're at it :).... you can buy ABS block off kits on line that don't leave you with a slot machine for a dash afterwards too..

Rear brake light switch wouldn't cause these issues I wouldn't have thought and the kick stand switch should only kill the bike once put into gear no?? I'd go back and recheck all your connections and look up bleeding the ABS... Again certainly no expert and quite possibly wrong but that's where I'd start....

3. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

If I'm reading the manual right, DTC Code 51 is HESD linear solenoid malfunction (steering damper)

4. Dr. Speed Lemon

If you could send me a link to these abs block off kits it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried googling it and have turned up empty handed.

5. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

6. Dr. Speed Lemon

You are correctamente but that doesnt seem to be the sigue. Will post more below

7. Dr. Speed Lemon

Ok so I feel like I should update the community on what's going on since I take so much I should contribute. I put the wheel on without the caliper holder in the slot. I know it's a stupid thing to do and I should know better after 100s of tire changes, anyway it wasn't in there right. So that was probably tripping the abs sensors. I noticed when the sensor was too close to the pulsar ring. I put it back together the correct way and went for a ride it started up easy. I took my son around the block in the neighborhood and everything felt normal. No codes were showing. I kill the engine took off the rear pegs and prepared to go for a ride. Went to start the bike and the battery was dead. So I pushed started it down my driveway determined to go for a ride and it started. I road it a half mile down the street and the abs light starts flashing again. I already know what happens next the so I turn around the the dash goes dark abs keeps flashing and moments later the bike dies. I had all ready punched it in anticipation of this and was able to coast a good way back home. I try to start the bike and the battery is acting dead. I just got a shorai battery and am keeping it charged but I'm not going to install it until I replace both front and rear pulsar rings and rear speed sensor. I ordered another front ring because my front set of tires currently share one pulsar ring. I'll report back when I change the sensor and rings.

I can give you a bunch of excuses like my daughter said it was in there or it was dark and I was tired but at the end of the day I did this. I hope I can fix it.

Attached Files:

8. Dr. Speed Lemon

The plot thickens...

After reading several forums and talking with some friends I decided to pursue another avenue of investigation. I decided to pursue the possibility that I could possibly have a grounding issue. I removed the gas tank today and checked all ground connections. They were all tight. However with the battery out and the tank put aside I noticed these 3 yellow wires under the battery that appeared to go nowhere. After consulting with my service book I realized where they were supposed to go.

Attached Files:

9. Dr. Speed Lemon

I'm guessing my fiberglass race fairings squished the yellow electical lines together and fried my regulator/rectifier.

10. cynistersix

cynistersix New Member

I had the same issue as OP

the issue was nothing to do with the HESD

After putting new rear sets on, the rear brake light switch wires were pinched and broke the circuit which ties into a significant part of the bike.

replacing the switch and removing the damaged wiring section fixed the problem for me.

2018 CBR 1000RR ABS
    Sato rear sets
    Turo braided lines
    Honda quick shifter

11. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Many many many Honda's do that to themselves without any help from anyone! ;)