2017 Tyre Choice

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Stevie_d, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Looking at some new tyres , now the factory fitted Dunlops are done for .
    Wanting something grippy , not bothered about touring tyres

Thinking of following

Pirelli , Michelin , Metzeler
    Anyone got recommendations from their own experience ?

2. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Running the new Michelin Power RS. Loads of grip including wet conditions, tips in and changes direction extremely quickly. Only done 600 miles on them so far so can't comment on how they wear. Have to say I'm well pleased with them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

+1 for Michelin.

I'm on the original Pilot Power and they are great. I ride in most conditions and all year round and these tyres have performed well. They heat up quickly.

I'm looking at replacing them with Pilot Power 3's as they look the best value/performance (under £200 for a set) at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  4. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

I have had Pirelli Diablo Rossi Corsa (55 rear). Brilliant. I might try the new Diablo Russo 3 next. You can get them at Leeds bike tyres.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Thought about the new power rs but didn't know anyone that has used them . Also debating about metzeler m77 or the newer racetec ones and the pirellli Rosso
    Big choice and probably no bad ones these days . Don't really rate these Dunlop qualifiers , last blade I had pilot power 3 really rated them

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Ive used m7rr and k3's over the last 2 years, m7 are a great road tyre and capable on track too. K3 are mega on track and very good on the road too unless it gets really wet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Bridgestone S21. Done 1000km on them now and 4 trackdays. Running 42 rear and 36 front on the road and on track i run 30 / 30.

So far im happy with them. They do well on the road, and in the wet. On track they are great, super sticky once you get the heat in the tires. Correct tire pressure is very important with these, as i ran 36psi on track one time because i forgot to check and they welt a bit wierd, not much feel. With 30 / 30 the feel and confidence is great.

Someone has mention that the 55 profile is not as pointy as it could be compared to some other tires, but i havent had a problem honestly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

What are k3's

9. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

I've used the Michelins (RS), Pirellis (DR3s) and Metzlers (M7RR's) all on the blade covering in total over 25,000 miles.

In order of preference:

- Pirelli DR3's
    - Michelin RS
    - Metzler M7RR

The DR3's just really suit the blade... a perfect compromise of road and track use yet are excellent in the wet.

The RS are superb but I find unless you lower the pressures the bike feels quite flighty and quick steering so takes time to dial into them. The more I ride on them the more I like them though.

The M7RR are a good tyre. But the other two are better by quite a margin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

I used the BSB Racetec control tyre on the track bike, they were a great track tyre, very sticky.
    Tried a set on the blade but they didn't last many miles on the road.

12. icedmind

icedmind Active Member

I have had the stock dunlops for just under 3K miles on my 17 blade; just put some Bridgestone S21 on and totally transforms how the bike handles; Was going to go for M7 RR but some get cold tear issue.

I have S21s on my track bike at the moment and have done at least 4 dry days + >2000road miles on them now and they still looked like they got more thread left than the dunlops; and the grip and feels are far far better on the s21

13. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

My 17 blade came with the Bridgestone S21's I'm really impressed with them, no idea on mileage as have only done 500 miles, but they were very good on track for a road tyre, not that I was going particularly quickly

14. markie*mark0

markie*mark0 Active Member

Metzeler M7RR are ace, plenty of grip for the road and mileage isn't too bad either.