2027 miles in 6 days!

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Lock, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Just finished my tour of the Scottish highlands - fantastic scenery and roads up there!

Total of 2027 miles, no hitches other than running out of fuel once!! (due to a crappy Garmin Sat Nav error - said it was 50 miles back, which turned into 97, a little different!)

Bike was pretty comfy (seeing as i'd toured Europe on a 600RR) even on the longest day where we did 420 miles. So glad i put the standard bars on before the trip, the sports clip ons would have been a killer. Was great on the bendy sweeping coastal single track roads - but pretty shitty on the crap pothole roads! (that's when i knew i was on a sports bike!)

Tyres are pretty squared off now. Diablo Corsa III's that have done 5000 miles. The 400 mile motorway trip back squared them off :(

Can't recommend Scotland enough, just as good as Europe! Only bit of advice - get heated grips. Fitted some symtec ones (fit under original grips) the day before i left. Had them on every day - it was like winter up there at times!!

2. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I had symtec on my endure bike as I was out 12months a year. They work pretty well but the stator on my g450x struggled to power them to their full potential

Sounds like a good trip. Did you take pictures?

3. fisher

fisher Active Member

Mega miles mate, you must be knackered

4. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

My dads been going on about a trip to Scotland. We did Ireland a few years ago and it was ace. Roads were a bit bumpy though over the pete bogs! We went straight across to Galway the first day then went up to Donegal and right around the Antrim coast (highly recommended if you havent been that way). The NW200 was on that week but we didnt have time to stop. Took the ferry back from Dun Laoire after about 3 or 4 days.

Any chance of a quick route plan of your Scotland trip? Where are the hotspots & roads!? :)

5. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Sounds amazing mate. Would love to see pics

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

pics please. :clap2:

7. Lock

Lock Active Member

Will sort some pics out shortly and post them up. Had a look through and unfortunately none of the twisty roads, but plenty of scenery and the bike! Wasn't too bad after the trip, tired but not feeling crippled by the sports bike position. One of the guys i went with managed about 150 yards before he got off my blade and said he couldn't ride it! (got cramp in his hips - so do i at times but hey no pain no gain!)

The symtec grips were ace, hot on the low setting (didn't try the high) Pretty easy to fit (used a relay) and bike didn't show any ill effects.

Will try and figure out some of the routes, should have enabled my phone GPS and got realtime positioning - oh well hindsight is an amazing thing!

8. matt

matt Active Member

we did the west coast last year.
    it was fantastic and we where lucky with the weather too, only one day of rain.

9. Lock

Lock Active Member

Here's a few pics:

All 5 of us together!

[​IMG]

All luggaged up - Kriega bags worked well!

[​IMG]

Highest Road in the UK - aparently!

[​IMG]

Out of fuel and perched at the side of the road - Dohhhhh !

[​IMG]

10. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

How do you find the wheels?

11. Lock

Lock Active Member

Auchtertyre to Applecross is an amazing over the mountain hairpin bend road (A890 - A896 - then very windy single track road to applecross)

East West Run, Bloody long run in a day but worth it!! A890 - A832 - A835 (through Dingwall) - East Coast A9 - A99 to John O Groats. Then back on west coast A836 - A894 - A837 - A835 to Ullapool. Then back to Auchtertyre Via A835 - A832 - A890.

Went up from Hertfordshire to Dunbarton via A1, Scotch Corner to M6.

Went from Dunbarton to Kyle of Lochalsh via Loch Lomand, Inverary (A83) - A819 and up west coast.

Epic journey but well worth it. Cant recommend the roads enough. The A830 from Mallaig is pretty special too (massive downhill and uphill bendy sections!)

12. Lock

Lock Active Member

Wheels are round mate that's about all i know! Were on the bike when i got it so know no different i'm afraid. really impressed with the handling of the blade so maybe that helps

13. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

What make are the wheels ?

Iv been doing lots of research on lighter wheels and they are ment to make major improvements on handling and corner speed. Is that a Devil exhaust swell?

the bike looks sweet

14. Lock

Lock Active Member

Wheels are Dymag and the exhaust is a full Ti Akrapovic Race system with carbon can. Sounds nice and deep, and if you actually put the baffle in the noise is more offensive! (higher pitch) Went through the MOT no problem with the baffle out and the can is fully E stamped.