50cc moped bogging down at full throttle

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Muffking, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Hi guys.
    I'm having running problems with a 50cc Gillera Stalker and know little about 2 stroke's.

It runs ok in the driveway, but when I set off down the road it bogs down at full throttle and tries to cut out until I back off. It's fine at half throttle and then if I build my speed up gently it will then build up to 40mph.

I've cleaned out the carb and checked the pipework, but it seemed to improve when adjusting the Idle Air screw to run more lean (using the diagram of it's carb below), although I don't want to run more lean than I already am for fear of siezing the engine.

[​IMG]

2. Smiler

Smiler Active Member

Having the same problem with my daughters Peugeot Ludix Blaster R Cup, have stripped the carb a number of times but all seems well :(

3. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Peds are always a pain and real finicky to set up, what state of tune...? I.e what exhaust and filter. Any lean two stroke will make power and lead you up the garden path, I'd rejet +10 or more and see how it feels, verators often stick too so again can sap power from the motor giving a sluggish feel and fail to build speed smoothly if they are not maintained the verators often hang up or hold a high gear to early so again if it has pipe and fitter what rollers are fitted...? Also final drive gearing is an issue if tuned too...over geared or under geared Peds that are poorly set up are a nightmaire..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Ive not checked the variator, but the bike seems to pick up speed as long as i gradually increase the throttle. It only wants to die if i go straight to a fully open throttle.

It could need upjetting, but it feels like it want to cut out more the more i unscrew the air/fuel screw to richen it, unless thats a red herring?

5. arthurbikemad

I'd up jet it mate tbh for the sake of a quid it will move you in any given direction if you get me... My money would bet its fuel starvation rather than rich..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Smiler

Smiler Active Member

has it an automatic choke? i believe thats the source of my problems.....

7. arthurbikemad

Most do and oddly enough they NEVER seem to work testing them is hit and miss too, eBay sell manual choke conversion kits mate for around 15.00.

8. Smiler

Smiler Active Member

Have ordered just that :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

Do a plug chop , or could be crank shaft oil seals leaking .

10. arthurbikemad

Yeah smokers love a plug or ten....lol

11. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Ive already replaced the plug, but will look at upjetting next.

12. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Update:
    The jet in the carb was a 53 and the next smallest size available locally was a size 68, but the bike now runs much better.

Obviously it is over fuelling, but after adjusting the mix and idle screws it will pull a good 40mph with hardly any noticable hesitation as it builds up to full speed.

My next question is, what are the implications of running probably overly rich?

13. arthurbikemad

Very little on the ped, tbh it will prob last a little longer, anyway you say rich yet it's pulling well I would think its right or better.. It must have been lean like I thought and starving of fuel.. At least it's better mate...

14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Seems so. I've taken it for a blatt round the local streets twice this evening and it seems to pull all the way to top speed. I'll try again tomorrow when the engine is cold to see how the choke affects it, but if you think that it will last ok as it is then i'll consider it fixed.

15. arthurbikemad

Think you've sorted it mate :)

16. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Fingers crossed as one guy said that it might coke up and lose power when hot if running rich.

17. arthurbikemad

Doubt it unless supper rich, thing is modern synthetic oils don't coke up like old oils from the early days the only way to be sure would be dyno it, but you may get some funny looks.....lol You could go up more until it bogs down then draw a line between the two (middle of high and low jet size) and go with that size just depends how much you want to play around with it, if I were running a kit on it I would jet it rich same as I do with MX bikes. A little rich will give more umph off the mark, run cooler, last longer and use a little more fuel that's the only downside...

18. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Previously had this problem, tested the carb, took it to the dealer who also tested te carb, couldn't find anything wrong. Next decoked the exhaust, then rebuilt the engine - still no joy.

Eventually bought a new carb off eBay and bingo bike running perfect.

It was the automatic choke !!!!!

What a nightmare

Hope this helps

19. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I took it out in the cold today to double check that it runs ok from cold and it was fine. So I've put the fairings back on and booked its not for Saturday. The only thing that i think it may fail on now are fork seals. Other that I reckon it's ok.

20. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Past its mot today to my surprise, not even an advisory.
    I may lower the jet size slightly now though as the missus said it stunk when she followed me to the garage.