ABS problems! 2015 SP

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by firebladeSPLuke, Jun 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. firebladeSPLuke

firebladeSPLuke New Member

Hi all,

I own a 2015 Fireblade SP (with the dreaded ABS) I’ve had the bike since March 2021 and put about 1500 miles on it (fair weather rider ☀️) the last couple of weeks the ABS has been malfunctioning. I’ve read quite a few threads, mostly dated between 2009-2014 with the same issue - basically a loss of pressure on the front brake lever causing it to go right back to the handlebar. ABS light then starts flashing and the brakes appear to work in a ‘conventional’ mode albeit a bit spongy. I can’t afford to trade the bike in at a loss, neither do I want to rip out the ABS system (would invalidate my insurance anyway?) Has anyone found a fix for this in recent times? Apologies if I’ve missed it on one of the threads (there were a lot!) unfortunately I bought the bike prior to joining the forum, noted the issue but wasn’t having it myself… until now! It’s a real shame as I absolutely love the bike, with the exception of this issue - to note I’ve recently had a full service done (about 200 miles
    Ago) where the brakes were bled and stripped, could this have caused it?

many thanks
    Luke

2. Coda

Coda Active Member

Stripping the ABS won't invalidate your insurance. You should at least tell them though that you have done it, most will just say 'eh ok'. Others on the forum can tell you if they've had issues with them.
    I have put about 700 miles on my '14, some of that on a track (with the abs fuse pulled). The only issue I have now is the brakes are a bit spongy when I first start it up, so it needs bleeding.
    Yes. It's an involved procedure and if it isn't done right you're in a world of pain. I wonder if it's worth contacting the shop and asking them about their ABS service procedure and relate to them what happened, see what they say. They may be just incompetent, or it may be you'll have to strip out the ABS (or just pull the fuse for now and cope with the extra 11kg).

3. firebladeSPLuke

firebladeSPLuke New Member

Thanks Coda, that’s a really useful reply. Appreciate your help mate It started off a couple of weeks ago happening after 15-20 mins of riding but the last couple of times yesterday it’s literally happened the first time I’ve used the front brake coming off my driveway… I could probably live with it if I had to but have lost some confidence in the brakes in general

4. Coda

Coda Active Member

That's the crux right there, you shouldn't. For something that's touted as a safety device it should not be ironically involved in one's demise.
    Keep us informed how you get on.

5. Stuart Gould

Stuart Gould Active Member

Disconnect the battery for a while and then reconnect. Then turn the ignition on so you hear the bike make its noises, then turn it off. Repeat this 5 times. That'll reset everything. If the abs light then goes off, you may be OK for a while, if not you've probably got an abs component (abs pump, abs module) that's gone.

I had this, I couldn't bare riding around never knowing if my brakes would fail and the lever was going to the bar all the time. I removed the whole system. No insurance issues. After all, they sell the bike without abs and the system is completely standalone from the rest of the bike.

Removing the system was the single best thing I have done to the bike. 2 days work, 10kgs lighter, bike feels amazing and now stops much better and now without the fear of it failing.

On a side note, if you need any spares, I have a whole system sat in my garage collecting dust :)

#5 Stuart Gould, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Coda

Coda Active Member

I might do remove mine too, as a winter project, if the bike survives that long :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stuart Gould

Well worth it. Plus you get to buy some new braided lines too :) Its really not that bad of a job and as you know, plenty of info on here about it.

8. Coda

Coda Active Member

I think the biggest benefit for me (perceived, I have no direct evidence) is getting rid of 11 Kg of mostly top-heavy weight.
    I've already dropped the bike on its side while stationary once, and I think that had something to do with it. I don't remember any other bike I've ridden feeling as heavy as it looked on the scales (including the VTR1000 SP-1 which was a porker).

9. Stuart Gould

Its a noticeable difference. Bike feels amazing after getting rid of it. I also think the brakes feel stronger, I kept the standard master cylinder but have HEL braided lines now (in race configuration) and they feel so much better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iain

Iain Active Member

Just to add an alternative view, I did 12k on a 12 plate, and 40k on my recently sold 14 plate, both with abs, without issue.

Yes I could get the lever back to the bar when reversing out of the garage on the 12 plate, but was fine once started and over 6mph.

No issues with the 14 plate, but lever feel was getting a bit soft approaching the 32k service, so a very careful 2 man bleed, rear first, then front right front left last with 5.1 fluid sorted that.

But get air in the system and I suspect some other issues then other problems can occur, so getting rid is probably easier than trying to fix.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stuart Gould

For me it was the uncertainty. In 19k miles on my 2015, the lever went to the bar once before whilst moving slowly in a car park at about 4k miles. It never happened again until 19k and when it did, nothing got it back, so one of the system components must have broken. The lever came to the bar whilst I was doing over 100mph and was not an experience I wanted again. Your brakes should work. Having the feeling that they could fail like that was too much to enjoy the bike. Now the abs has gone I have 100% confidence back in the brakes and they are also so much better than with abs. The bike feels better, lighter, quicker and more responsive. It has reignited my love for the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I know its not what you should expect, but I tend to pump the brakes, it has just become second nature, I do not know if this is an issue but firms the lever up and is consistent
    it has never come back to the bar or given any major concerns, but If you wanted a one pull emergency stop it may go to the bar