Advice needed - 07 starter gear issue

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by TomLum, Oct 20, 2021.

1. TomLum

TomLum Active Member

So this evening I removed the side cover on my 07 blade as it was slightly weeping and I wanted to re-seal. Case was very stiff and as I wriggled it off I notice the small gear (red arrow) and the rod it sits on has been pulled forward and no longer connected to its neighbouring gear.
    How big of an issue is this? Can I simply push it back and remount or a much bigger issue?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Lock

Lock Active Member

Ahh that brings back memories of taking my cover off - must go out and take the bike apart again for some therapy! Yup pretty sure my gear popped out and i just slid it back in. When you took the case off though, just make sure you've got the thrust washer and spring washer as they have a habit of falling out or getting stuck to the cover when you pull it off. I used the guidance of this really helpful post on the 1000rr.net forum (https://www.1000rr.net/threads/my-y...6-1000rr-installation-lots-of-pictures.79987/) - toward the end of the post, used the trick to get the cover back on and seemed to work well - wouldn't say it was easy, but didn't stress me out and make me want to kick the bike over!. Also careful how you tighten up the bolts, i torqued them up and one of the bastid bolts snapped (and it was a new bolt - it just stretched and snapped in the middle!) - that's why i had to take the cover off in the first place. The bolts just seem like shit metal, so just be careful!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dern

dern Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TomLum

TomLum Active Member

Thanks guys, going to get the covers coated then will re-fit.

Can someone confirm the torque spec for the cover bolts? Seems to be mixed information online.

5. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Sorry, not sure of the torque. I just nipped them up tight.

6. TomLum

TomLum Active Member

No worries, I ended up popping into Honda this morning to grab some Hondabond and asked the technician, they are 8-10nm. Ive read online suggestions up to 24nm which may explain why people are running into issues

7. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I recall that it didn't feel like much was needed. The hondabond pretty much sticks it on and provides the deal and the bolts are only holding the cover in place. It's not leaked yet at any rate ;)

8. Lock

Lock Active Member

I did 8-10nm and still snapped one so just be careful!! All the others torqued fine, yet this new one didn't. When it felt wrong I should have stopped but stupidly carried on - then snap! Oh well learn by mistakes, couldn't easy out it with the cover on, but cover off it just came out. Was very careful when refitting! Used 8-10nm on generator cover and thought one of them was going to go (yes good brand, certified calibrated torque wrench used!!)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Dogsbody

Dogsbody Active Member

Is that a replacement radiator. If so, did it fit ok ?

10. TomLum

TomLum Active Member

Yes bought to replace OEM. Its a Chinese part I got via eBay, fitment with regards to bolt alignment was 99% there. Overall very happy with it