Advice on Budget lenses please, next to no budget

Discussion in 'Photography' started by thezipsteruk, Dec 14, 2014.

1. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Im loving the DSLR my wife got me last year eos 650d.
    But I really miss a small zoom lens, I love taking impromptu portrait shots but I also Like having a wide angle for those scenes that appear on a ride out.
    I have next to no budget, In fact I have my christmas bonus of £100 and no more.
    I know they are not the best but these Tamron lenses look like a good candidate for an all rounder.
    Tamron AF 18-200mm Aspherical (IF) LD XR DiII Zoom lens for Canon EOS DSLR SLR | eBay
    I would love a bit more range but they jump in price, do you guys think they are any good for a low budget lens?
    any info before I waste my bonus would be great, Thanks

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

#2 arthurbikemad, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thezipsteruk

Thanks Arthur I know its no pro lens, but Hoping it will make a good travel lens.
    Ill check out the link thanks

4. arthurbikemad

Can't post the other google links from the Mac, Safari only wants to copy the key words grr :(

Prob with pro lens's mate is they cost a bomb to brake! I'd rather have a cheaper lens, also with less at stake your more inclined to worry about getting the shot over damaging your gear..

• Like Like x 1
  5. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sigma is another make to have a look at

6. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I have used tamron lenses with pretty good results fella,and like SP's says sigma are pretty good too

7. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's also worth to note that usually it's the camera bodies that go wrong so have a look round at some of the camera exchange places as you can sometimes pick up second hand lenses dirt cheap where people have traded in

8. Lazywaster

Lazywaster New Member

Zipster

I haven't used Tamron for a while but if I don't go for OEM lenses then I use Sigma. Do check fleabay as people sometimes upgrade to a full frame and need to sell off lenses. Good advice from Steve too.

The lens is the most important bit of kit. The sensor is there to capture what comes through it!

Good luck

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Lazywaster has a good point with Sigma. They used to have a reputation for fragility but that's been addressed now and the optical quality is superb.

Friend of mine scoops up film SLRs off the bay. They often come with decent glass the seller isn't even aware of. Once it arrives he just bins the camera.

#9 kpone, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  10. arthurbikemad

Its a good way to buy, cheap gear always comes up on eBay, I search for local stuff so you can go take a look and make a cash offer, most local camera shops also have cheap gear that they want rid. Its worth shopping around for sure.

I had a bad experience with Sigma years back and can't face to buy one ever again, lucky at the time I got my money back, I am sure it was just a duff lens but the camera shop seemed to think it was fine, well built but the IQ was crap compared to my others, think I was just unlucky.

Looks like some people have had good deals:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...18-200mm+lens+-cap+-hood+-filter&_sacat=78997

#10 arthurbikemad, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  11. thezipsteruk

Thanks for all the help guys!
    After trawling through eBay and ringing round, Found that the local camera shop (next door to where i work.
    Had taken in and refurbed a AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO - Tamron
    Id done them a few cut price Graphics for their shop so he offered me a trade for my standard lens and £70 and he would include a 6month warranty!
    That'll do me! also has the advantage of it being close to me if I do have a problem.
    Cheers for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Lazywaster

Lazywaster New Member

Arthur, you can always get a lemon. I had so much trouble with a Canon 1D body when I got an exchange from Canon I put it on eBay with another body and all my FD lenses and switched to Nikon. Some of my pro photographer pals take fantastic pics with Canon kit. I just had a bad experience that undermined my confidence in the brand.

Have you sold your 125 yet?

13. arthurbikemad

Know what you mean mate, no we still have the 125, bad time of year to sell it and we are not to bothered if it hangs around :)

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice result for aspherical glass, Zips. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's going to be sharp.

• Like Like x 1