Anyone else fitted R&G heated grips, any advice welcome.

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Shameless, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

I have decided to get some heated grips fitted, I suffer from vibration white finger in my right hand and when the weather is cold strugle to use my fingers properly.
    Any tips for easy fitting welcome, I know I need to cut down the throttle grip as it is longer than the original, any tips on sliding the new on and ensuring they are secure,its not the same as fitting traditional grips as these have a plastic tube that fits against the bar.
    Also what did you wire the +feed to to ensure they turn off when the bike is off and where is the best place to hide the switch.

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I fit a relay for power but you can use an ignition feed, leave them on for a min before fitting they will soften, grip glue is best or superglue as supplied with most but be quick.. not a fan of R and G grips as one often run hotter than the other, they are the same as hairygerikle grips but Oxfords are best around IMO and the new system works perfect, they shut off as soon as the batt volts drop to under 12.5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Have you not considered heated gloves I have a set on Order from demon tweeks for £138 think it was normally retail £160 ,they heat each finger and hand and come with a life time gurantee , come with hardwire but as an extra you can get batteries . They are the Gerbing XR12.Saves swoping grips etc.

#3 Jase, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  4. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Hi Jason
    Ilike to wear thinner gloves with cold killers underneath, the bigger gloves make the movement worse, bit of a catch 22 really

5. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Thanks Arther, I shall heat them up a bit before fitting, I was bought the grips as a birthday present so no choice in make im afraid.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I wired mine into the rear light as a switched feed and works fine - All the connectors go under airbox / above ECU so its not so daft -

Cannot remember fitting now - sure old grips removed using knitting needle or long think screw driver all the way round then new ones put over top.

I have control on top folk with no problems

• Like Like x 2
  7. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Loads of DIY Videos on Youtube mate, just do a search.

Got the Oxford ones on mine as I was just a week to early and missed the new Datatool ones which look far the best on the Bike

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shameless

Shameless Active Member

Thanks Alblade, got the old grips off the same way, but don't want to damage the new fitting them.

9. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

I've got the r+g ones. Very warm. I didn't install mine. The chap who did switched them via ignition.

10. Fwsock

Fwsock Active Member

About to fit r&g ones to my anniversary. Any tips welcome