Anyone toured abroad?

Discussion in 'Touring' started by TheST3, Feb 1, 2011.

1. TheST3

TheST3 Active Member

One of the reasons I want to change my street triple is cos its crap for touring. I can manage about 100 miles before my neck aches and motorways are crap.

Mates always goin abroad, france, spain etc on their bikes (BMW GS & VStrom). Blade any good for long distance? I see that they do an comfort seat dunno weather its worth it??

Had a test ride position quite extreme compared to the ST but felt quite comfy after I got used to it.

Or would it be a crap choice?

2. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

Not the first bike I'd think off to tour on, but I guess it depends on the rider. I took my old K5 to the 'Ring a few years ago and my old TDM through the Pyrenees. Both performed like they should and were great for the purpose they were built. I'd have no problem taking the CBR on a couple of thousand mile trip.

3. RepsolBlade

RepsolBlade Active Member

I think it very much depends on you and the bike, My RRV Blade was considerably less arse up than current one, but was a killer in the seat for me after a few hours. This one, I can go all day and night and, ok a little ache here and there, but felt good! New blades kinda the same riding position, maybe a little more arse up! Try one, on demo, dealers usually pretty good if you ask!

4. TheST3

TheST3 Active Member

Yeah already had a test ride didnt think it was too bad. just wondered on long motorway drives but doesnt seem too bad.

Love the blade compared to the others and never had a litre bike before so lookin forward to it!!!!!

5. RepsolBlade

RepsolBlade Active Member

Good for you m8! You won't be disappointed with any of the Blades. Miles better all round than any of the other supers!

6. dazza

dazza Active Member

Fantastic bike for touring on. Went to the ring a few years back and regularly do 600 mile days through the summer. Seat hurts your arse after a while but nowt a 10 min break doesnt sort. I was looking at getting a stock seat off ebay and getting it refilled with better foam. Also those little lever things you can get for the throttle help to plug the motorway miles if have to are forced to use them.

7. TheST3

TheST3 Active Member

Wicked reports guys sounds good thanks for the feedback.

8. blackblader

blackblader Active Member

went to the bottom of france last year two up with loads of luggage and found it amazing as a touring bike you get plenty of leg stretching brakes as the tank dont last long wanging along fairly if you catch me drift.we had a great time covering nearly 2500miles in ten days.will post pictures up when i get the hang of posting them lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 blackblader, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  9. largeviking

largeviking Active Member

Been around France and Spain a few times on mine. Gel seat helped a lot, managed soft panniers with no problems. Most I've done is 1000 miles in 24 hours, no issues at all. Easy on m-ways around 90-100 wind pressure balances weight. Bit heavy on the wrists (I'm 16 stone) around the tight twisty's of Alps and Pyrennees but perfect for the sweeping bends.

10. matt

matt Active Member

im off soth of france in 3 weeks so wil let u kno my opinion :+)

11. largeviking

largeviking Active Member

N75 from Clermont Ferrand to Millau, quiet motorway that snakes through the Massif Central worth doing. Bridge at Millau worth seeing.

12. masher66

masher66 Active Member

Grenoble and over the tops to Castellane - fantastic roads, the road from Castellane down to Cannes is also very good...all on the route Napoleon, can't recommend it enough !!

13. masher66

masher66 Active Member

Harz mountains (Germany) also well worth a look - only 300 miles from zeebrugge and the roads are fantastic..nice legal blast on the autobahn to boot ;-)
    Much closer than south of France and the weather is stable during summer !

14. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Rode to the nurburgring in 07. Motorway all the way so pretty uneventful but the ring is amazing.