Best bike to start with for track days?

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Gary Britton, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Gary Britton

Gary Britton Active Member

I want to start doing track days but I don't want to take the Blade incase I bin it.
    I was thinking of buying an early 2000 600cc bike. After doing some research the SV650 seems to be a good buy as it's more forgiving for the novice track day rider.
    Just wondering what other people started on?

Cheers

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I started only 3 years ago on a 2000 year Triumph TT 600cc. Paid around a grand for it in track form and it got me past the track day nervousness of not knowing what's going on around me and kept it until I was happy in Inters.
    After around 1 year I sold it for roughly what I paid for it and now run a 2006 Blade, but am still in Inters. Mainly because I don't do enough track days and am not pushing myself as much as I could.

[​IMG]

3. Julian

Julian Active Member

R6 nuff said

4. carter

carter New Member

My little zxr400 was spot on. Loses out on the straights but more than made up for it on the twisty bits. Nowt better than embarrassing the big boys with a 400 lol. Sorted my cornering out for sure!

Attached Files:

5. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

I went straight in with a 08 blade and tracked her........ the best ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I went in with my road bike, 2005 Blade, tracked her for 4 years, great fun :D

7. Dazzler54

Dazzler54 Member

I'd argue your better off with what you know....you don't want to be learning a new bike and riding style as well as track riding.

As for binning it.......I've been riding on track for 13 years...in that time I've done on average 4 track days a year, 2 of those years I also competed in club racing (8 meetings a year plus testing days) and most of the time I was riding on the road as well.
    Road riding = 3 bins (two my fault, one SMIDSY car driver)
    Racing = 2 bins (One red mist by me, one red mist by another)
    Trackdays = 0 bins (multiple excursions though!!)

My point is, I don't believe you are more likely to bin it on a track day than any other kind of riding, you are much more in control of your own destiny.

That said you could get a cracking race prepped 2000 R6 with all the shiny bits, spare wheels etc for less than 2 grand, and if my recent upgrade from 600 to 1000 is anything to go by you'll have plenty more fun on the 6!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dazzler54

Dazzler54 Member

Oh yeah....you might find the sv a bit frustrating. Power wise they are no match for an inline 4 600 and more like a 400 without the razor sharp handling. Although you might find a minitwin race bike setup for the track, coming from a blade it might be too big a step down in power terms

9. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

This guy was out with us at Silverstone last year...

Untitled.png

Personally I'd invest in a little training (Ron Hallam, etc.) and take the blade on track. You'll only bin it if you're riding beyond your ability.

10. carter

carter New Member

Personly I don't think a step down in power for the track is a bad thing. My current trackbike is a 2009 zx6r. Hauling it around cadwell after being on a thou is easy as and much more relaxing. Feel like I can use the power much more aggressively and sling it on its ear without fear. Had a thou around cadwell quite a few times, which is my local track and I feel like I've been raped dry by a rhino by the end of the day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. RazorBlade

RazorBlade Member

It depends what your aim is. If you're planning on only doing a couple of track days a year and are happy to ride conservatively then the blade will be fine. If you're thinking of doing more than a few a year and think you might like to push it a little the. I would be picking up a cheap 600/400 trackie. As others have said you can pick them up fairly cheaply and they will be better for developing your skills than a 1000.

12. tazmania_1981

tazmania_1981 Active Member

what about cb500
    i started on fireblade 2004 than bought a cb 500 for commuting and took it ti track and i was faster at brands hatch believe me tha few of the litre ones
    i am still a novice

13. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

I am thinking of doing some trackdays on my Fazer thou, a good sorted bike,,a bit heavier than the blade but I am used to it,had it for 3 1/2 years.
    Have done a ron haslem day on 600s and got another in a couple of weeks