Best fireblade for commuting

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by TheCommuter, Nov 14, 2017.

1. TheCommuter

TheCommuter New Member

Hi All,

I am in the market for a fireblade and have been looking at blades across generations including model year 07, 08 and 2012 onwards. Can't afford a 2017 one! :D

I was wondering which would be best ergonomically for commuting duties? I've heard that although the '08 blade is sharper in handling compared to '07 the earlier model blade is almost like a sports tourer. Any views on the comfort factor would be much appreciated.

Performance wise I am not good enough to appreciate the difference i think :) !

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Go for the best you can afford and like riding! Blades can be modded with raised clipons upto 3” and lowered rearsets

3. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I have had an o5 which was ok for commuting even though a bigger bike it has a smaller tank range than the 2012 model.
    I do 1000 miles a month and have no problems with comfort on the smaller bike but I’m only about 5ft 10?.
    I prefer the smaller bike as to me it feels a bit more nimble and lighter.

4. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Over the years I've had 7 Blades and commuted on them all. Thinking back I'd say the 2008 & 2010 were more comfy than the 2015 I've currently got.

5. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

04-07 is a very plush bike for commuting compared to its more focused successors. I’m on my 3rd. Keep coming back!

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow! No one can question your devotion to the marque. I've had 5 Hondas, but only now on my first Blade!

7. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

The 2008 onward blade has higher clip ons than the earlier ones.
    This makes it easier on my wrists as it does not cut off blood circulation when trying to hold in the clutch lever when in traffic and also stops me getting pins and needles when riding.

8. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Good dealer, can't argue with the deals. ;)

I had an 05 and an 06 (never liked the 04 colour schemes) and thought the 954 was a better bike, especially build quality wise and the 08 was the bike they should have built.

I could have given the underseat exhaust model a miss really, completely underwhelmed me and I thought the 954 outhandled it. Although the 06 was a better bike after the 100 odd revisions.

Horses for courses I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

I have an 04 and use it for commuting. I'm six foot two and fifteen stone two. (currently working to reduce fat dad status) I'll admit on the motorway she's lovely but in town not too good on my wrists after half an hour. When I can afford I'll change bars.can not decide which way to go. Flat bar it will certainly be comfy but not look good or try some higher clip ons but how high to go.

10. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

I comute (Not as much as I used to admittedly) on a '13 (20th Anniversary model).

TBH, ABS issues aside, it's lovely. Standard screen and standard bars. No idea why people think it's hard on the wrists or back, or why some complain about wind buffeting. I guess if you're an armchair athlete with no core strength it might be an issue, but I don't think your average person has problems holding themselves up with their core for an hour or so do they?

Motorway riding is the mutts nuts as my cuz would say. And in town the only issue is where there's no room to filter through the city (of London) on the odd occasion. Even commutes of >1hour are merely tiring because of the attention required for the traffic rather than comfort issues.

• Like Like x 1