Blade SP Brembo M4's vs Brembo M4

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Dano28, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Dano28

Dano28 Active Member

2. foenix

foenix Active Member

Standard M4 have 2X32 piston VS 30/32 for the SP.

i don't think it s big differences between us........ Usually, large diameter = better braking power, SBK calipers are 32/36 . But little diameter = more control.

The only difference i could see will be the price of a OEM caliper versus standard M4 .... lol

3. Dano28

Dano28 Active Member

Awesome, agreed be a hefty premium on them no doubt!!

4. Mattlong

Mattlong New Member

If your putting 100 psi down your brake lines a 1 inch dia caliper piston will exert 100psi, where as a 2 inch dia piston will exert 200psi, ergo the bigger the piston the better the brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Actually the blade runs a 30x32 front caliper now so the so called new M4 is the same ratio as the OEM calipers, all you have really changed is the pad type! The original M4 is a 34x34 monoblock not 32! the GP4 range uses 32x32. If you increase the size of the pistons in the caliper your actually reducing the size of the master, thus more powerful brakes, or however you like to look at it. Seems Mr Honda wants a Brembo that's the same as the old calipers.....lol fashion hay!

• Like Like x 6
  6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Couple of noob questions!:confused:

So whats the deal with having different sized caliper pistons?
    Thinking out loud, I guess the smaller one should exert more pressure so creates a leading edge? If thats the case why not have 4 pads per caliper ie more leading edges?

Only the M4 (34/34),gp4-rx (32/32) and the radial monobloc (34/34) have all pistons the same diameter the rest of the higher spec calipers come with different sized pistons? So whats the advantage of 34/34 over say 32/36 or indeed the oem configuration of 30/32, because as you up the piston size the pressure exerted on the pads reduces for the same force applied at the levers.

I understand the need to match the MC with the calipers to achieve a good ratio for modulation and feel but if two systems had the same ratio which would have better performance, identical or nonidentical pistons?

I'm starting to upgrade my Blade now and wanted to ensure each component was worth it. In the list are calipers, should I buy some M4s(34/34) or say wait out for a second hand pair of HPKs(30/34)?

:confused::confused::confused:

edit:

answered by Arthur http://1000rr.co.uk/general-1000rr-discussion/15160-2.htm#post239406 :)

#6 Slick, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

Some factual inaccuracies I had to correct.

Smaller Master Cylinder Piston and/or larger Caliper piston mean greater braking power, i.e. more force squeezing pads onto disc, but more travel at the lever meaning softer feeling brakes.

Larger Master Cylinder Piston and/or smaller Caliper piston mean lower braking power, i.e. less force squeezing pads onto disc, but less travel at the lever meaning harder feeling brakes.

Which is better and/or provides the desired feel for the rider is an individual preference, but there are practical limits to both the above. They can be so soft that the lever comes back to the bars before max. braking is achieved. Or they might be so hard it's difficult to pull the lever with enough force to generate the required braking performance.

Apart from pads, the above is what it's all about - getting the correct hydraulic ratio between Master Cylinder and Caliper(s). It makes no difference what name is stamped/cast/engraved in the side of the Master Cylinder or Caliper. No company can defy the laws of physics. Brembo make nice brakes, but their big advantage is they sell them to the aftermarket. Nissin and Tokico do not. Swapping a 2008> FireBlade's Tokico's for SP Brembos (which have the exact same size pistons) will make no difference to the braking performance of the bike. Both great brakes. If either seem lacking in performance, there's something else wrong with them. Not only do the physics support my assertion here, but my experience of having done exactly that confirm it. Changing piston sizes might provide more of what you are seeking, but e.g. Honda have more on their mind when designing the optimum brakes than max. power. They always try to provide strong powerful brakes with little to no tendency to lock the wheel, although not such an issue these days with ABS.

Monoblock Calipers in theory flex less, but some of the finest brakes I've ever used are the 2 piece (bolt together) axial Nissins on many sports Hondas around 2000. With the right Master Cylinder they are superb and as good as any other brake I've ever used, including the several Brembos that I have.

As I said, nothing wrong with Brembos, just don't waste your money expecting miracles without doing the maths first. I've seen too many bikers spend loads of money and ended up with brakes that just had to perform worse than the originals because they did not consider the piston sizes and just believed the Brembo mantra. Needless to say they of course claim a great improvement, but they'd hardly admit to wasting all that money on a performance downgrade would they.

Finally, be aware that radial calipers' big advantage is that they allow swapping disc sizes with the simple addition or removal of spacers. That's it. Any other claims are simply fantasy.

BTW, here's my 'Blade:-
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mwwn4hy90tza9bk/AAA8aNvPWsZ53KaUclYf-6s5a?dl=0

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2