BMW S1000R S or Aprilia Tuono V4 - both have issues.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by RedMacGregor, Mar 4, 2015.

1. RedMacGregor

RedMacGregor Active Member

I've been thinking of buying a more upright bike for some time now. I plan to keep the Fireblade but I would like to try a bike with straight bars just to see if they are as much fun.
    After the NEC show in November I really fancied the new Tuono (looked amazing) which will be released later this year. I also fancied the beamer mainly because of the semi active suspension and competitive pricing. So I thought lets have a look at the forums for both bikes to see what owners were saying about them.
    It appears neither bike is trouble free. The S1000R forum had 35 pages on one post all regarding problems with the bike cutting out on downshifts from 3rd to 2nd gear. BMW haven't admitted there is a problem (does this sound familiar - ABS issues Mr Honda) and to date have not come up with a fix that works 100%.
    The Tuono forum was somewhat similar. The biggest issue I could see on there was petrol tanks that keep warping - loads of them. Apparently this is due to ethanol in the petrol so I assume the tank is plastic. Aprilia are changing them out under warranty but are just proving a like for like replacement which in some cases means they will most probably warp again. There was also a couple of reports of premature wear to camshafts on low mileage bikes.
    So guess what - my plans for either bike are on indefinite hold until both manufacturers sort out these issues. The Blade (non ABS) has been fault free for 4 years so for now its staying as my one and only bike.

2. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

Great info.. been thinking along the same lines for about a year now, well that was intill I saw the Duc 1299... sigh... :cool:

#2 Gilesy, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. RedMacGregor

I had a ride out to have a good look at the Super Duke at the end of last year. I was convinced that was the bike to have but I started thinking about there being no fairings at all and how dirty it would get. Beautiful bike though great looking quality but pricey though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

the tuono tank problem seems to be mainly in the usa where they have a higher ethanol ratio in the fuel.
    as for camshafts i was speaking too a bloke at cadwell who's tuono dropped a valve at literally a week out of warranty and they wouldn't do owt about it.

5. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I would invest in some bar risers / replacement of top yoke - I rode a BMW S1kRR with gilles bar risers and lowered pegs and compared to a regular sports bike it felt like riding a naked / upright bike. One kit did require a small cut out on the nose fairing so you may want to look for a replacement if you wish to keep the original 'un cut' to allow you to reverse the fitting.

It will cost you a few hundred pounds and there is a company who provide complete kits - will try and find the link.

If you don't get on with it worse case is you sell it on here and have lost maybe £100 tops but will have tried it before spending thousands swapping bikes (which it sounds like you don't want to do) - a QS also makes the bike much nicer to ride so perhaps think of that too.

6. RedMacGregor

Your right most tank problems were in the US but did see a few from the UK. I think in some regions in the UK you get more ethanol in the fuel. I thought these Aprilia engines were bomb proof - bit of an eye opener really

7. RedMacGregor

No its not that I've had enough of sportsbikes because of wrist or back problems - I think there might be fun to have on a more upright bike. A few test rides will confirm either way.

8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

9. Colonel_Klinck

Colonel_Klinck New Member

It seems all the new nakeds have their problems. 1290 Superduke had some issues with play in the rear wheel hub but KTM do replace them and have changed the torque settings to prevent it happening. Other than that the only other issue has been a leaking engine case but that's just a gasket change. I haven't ridden the Aprilia or Beemer but I did take the 1290 out last summer and the engine is simply incredible! Compared to my 990 twin it feels more like a IL4 smoothness wise than the 1300 twin it is. The torque just goes on and on and on :) Suspension would need a little work to track it properly, front end was just way too soft but on the road it was fine. I turned all the rider aids off for a bit and the crazy thing just wanted to wheelie in every gear off the throttle when spanked. If it had Aprilia's electronics package (even though I'm not a fan of rider aids) it would be the perfect naked IMO.

10. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

as long as you don't buy petrol in the fens you should get the proper stuff . not tractor fuel :)
    I like the tuono though , it may well be my next purchase even with the gearbox / engine / fuel tank and coolant manifolds breaking issues .Every bike has issues .but forums tend to pick on the problems with bikes ,it would be nice to know how many of any bike per 1000 actually develop problems to get a better view.
    Just thought .. that could be a good way to making me a dot com millionaire . All i need now is to learn how to work a computer .

11. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Both of these bikes were at the top of my '' next bike '' list...... i am a bit surprised by this post ! I have a Honda CB100RA and its simply great, no issues at all, just keeps going and that is a 2010 model, maybe i will see what the next models offer before even considering a change.... years ahead i think.

12. RedMacGregor

I agree it's cetainly made me think twice. Do I want an ultra reliable 2011 blade or a brand new BMW or Aprilia with issues. I'm sticking with the blade till the forums report better reliability.

13. Ian63

Ian63 Active Member

14. Ian63

Ian63 Active Member

My mate has a 51 plate rs250 which has a plastic tank and that expands to the point that it rubs on the top yoke. He thought he'd got frame or fork damage yet had had the bike for four years without a problem. He found out from a USA forum it's the ethanol in the fuel (he swears by Shell). For the last 2 years he's had to drain the tank and leave it in the boiler room at work for three weeks to rid the tank of the ethanol problem. Seems Aprilia design problem hasn't been fixed

15. Colonel_Klinck

Colonel_Klinck New Member

All plastic tanks suffer this problem. KTMs suffer it as well and if you lift the tank and don't get it back done fairly quickly it won't fit as it expands. Most of us had to file slots in the hinges at the back of the tank to allow the tank to slide back a little to fit the front bolt in. They are also prone to bubbling or cracking paint work. Ethanol has a lot to answer for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. chrisopotamus

chrisopotamus Member

I bought a S1000R about 5 weeks ago and the issue with the cutting out was solved a while ago by replacing the microswitches on the clutch lever. I have to say I love this thing to bits!

I've had 3 Blades over the years and while I love/loved them there is so much traffic to deal with before I get to some decent roads it just took a toll on me. I just found that I never really wanted to ride 2009 all that far in the end.

The S1000R just seems to be able to do everything i.e. cruise, tour and hardcore sports mode too. It's just as fast as the Blade on my local roads and handles just as well. I totally forget about the more upright position when on it and in the bends.

I test rode the Tuono and bleh! I already have one Aprilia and can't see myself getting another one as who knows what will break or fall off it. It was rough and not great in traffic plus the seat was super high. Everything on the S1000R seemed to be so well thought out and considered for the rider to use easily.

PM me if you want to know more and happy to tell you more.

17. chrisopotamus

chrisopotamus Member

They also have a lot of issues with stators too with some riders going to through 2 or more. Plus you have all the bolts etc coming loose plus coolant leaks then hot start issues.

I guess they call that Italian flare....

18. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Do u ever ride the cb two up?

My old one used to hit the deck on the cat

19. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

I never ride two up on any bike i have, i would guess a lot of these street or naked ''sports'' bikes don't tend to be purchased by riders who need to tour or ride two up, but i think most owners would want them to start when needed and not breakdown every day starting with the letter 'T' ! The first and last thing i want any bike i own to do is to simply work and not cost me a fortune.