Bmw s1000r

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Ian E, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

S1000R.jpg

Just borrowed this and done 120 miles around the Dales. It's the Sport Version which has Traction Control, ABS, Power Modes, Electronic Adjustable Suspension, Heated Grips. Great bike - goes well, stops well, handles well. Surprised how loud it is with standard can - louder than my 13 Blade with Akra.

• Like Like x 2
  2. rab

rab Well-Known Member

dont mention s1000rr you will b shot down

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

:) Top bike though!

4. Buckmeister

Buckmeister Active Member

Rode one the other week (same spec), rode well but I was disappointed with the build quality and the amount of corrosion it had considering it'd only done 1500 miles in showery weather.
    There also seem to be lots of plastic bits that'll break off really easily and lots of electronics to go wrong but we'll see ?
    People keep saying it's cheap at 12k, I'm not so sure, it seems that China is the new Germany, not sure I'd part with 12k for one, I don't think it'll last long and look like that...

5. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

This one had done over 2k miles and looked fine - no corrosion. £11400 for the Sport Version.

6. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

MCN has one as a long termer, just did a brands track day on it and loved it

7. Buckmeister

Having a long standing neck injury I'm interested in upright bikes (I have an ABM bar conversion on my blade) so I've been testing everything out there recently as mine is due for replacement at the end of the summer. I just didn't get the "quality feel" I was expecting from it, don't get me wrong I was sold on it when I first set off but after looking at it closely I changed my mind and I'm
    probably going to get a new blade and move my bars over to it... Just a personal preference I suppose, also the active suspension did "something" unexpected too while I was leant over on a bumpy b road, not sure what but I didn't like it at all !

8. rich918

rich918 New Member

so you was in by neck of the woods where about did you go

9. Buckmeister

No, I was in the Cotswolds, there's a BMW dealer in Oxford, that's the nearest one to me - about 40 miles away...

10. Buckmeister

That might not have been aimed at me - soz !

11. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Yorkshire Dales - Grassington, Hawes, Settle etc.

12. Faccons

Faccons New Member

That is one amazing Bike. I gotta be honest, I am in love with them and I haven't ridden one.... Yet :)

13. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Who on earth would ride that and show off on here...... ?? :D

Sounds like you had a great time.......

14. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Had 3 hours on a R Sport today, Positives: induction noise, exhaust noise, impeccable brakes.
    Negatives: flat below 3k, as in asthmatic, on any suspension setting, does not like surfaces changes, bike shimmies, same when crossing white lines, bike does not like it, you cannot move around on the seat, the suspension gets very unsettled, impossible to see out of mirrors due to vibration above 60, switchgear feels very low rent.

Overall, IMO a very expensive bike, that needs a decent test ride to expose it's flaws.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Agree with the positives. Suspension on the one I borrowed felt fine around the Yorkshire Dales - and those roads are a good test of suspension! The mirrors on the one I had were fine and I didn't notice any vibration. They are selling that well there is a waiting list. If Honda did an equivalent it would be my next bike!

16. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

I have a Honda CB1000R and unless Honda do something substantial with the CB (not been changed since introduced in 2008) then the BMW is really the only other bike i fancy.

17. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Had a test ride for about 3 hours as well.
    Very nice fun bike with much power.
    Something to play with, if you only ride on country roads etc.
    Probably best naked bike, if you include all the electronic options.

#17 BlackDevil, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BigFatBloke

BigFatBloke Member

just got shot of my HP4, pile of shit! people think the BMW is great, crack on, own one, glad to see mine go, not a patch on a blade, unless you like a 1000cc bike that feels like a 600.

• Like Like x 1
  19. explorer

explorer Member

Mmm have to agree it feels like a 600 but only in weight and flick ability, I have a HP4 and a blade, and I've got to say when I get on the blade after the Beemer the blade feels like a tractor. As for the build and reliability only time will tell, but if my Beemer is unreliable it will be going that's for sure.

20. BigFatBloke

BigFatBloke Member

Maybe mine was a Friday bike, I'm a big feker 6'6 and 20st too much time on the shakes and weights....lol