Breakdown/recovery service

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by RR7, May 10, 2020.

1. RR7

RR7 New Member

Hi, what do you use for the inevitable?

2. Paul Longstaff

Paul Longstaff Senior Member

I usually go on line and buy the cheapest I can.
    Currently with Aviva but it's done by Rac I think
    Anyway it was cheaper cover via Avi a than going direct.

3. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

One of the benefits of Bemoto titanium insurance! Fingers crossed I never have to use it. I believe it covers you abroad too.

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

1. Puncture repair kit.
    2. Call The AA.
    3. Get a lift home and bring the bike trailer.

5. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Classic TT. I got back to the bike after a day's marshalling only to find rear was soft. Thank goodness for Bemoto/RAC cover. Plugged it the following day, so restricted to 40mph. Only got one run over the mountain.
    DSC_1346.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I got AutoAid cover for the wife with me as a named driver, mainly for her car, but as it covers the holder and not a specific vehicle it covers me on the bike - £55 for the year.

7. RR7

RR7 New Member

Touch wood, I've never needed a rescue but used to carry the number of a man with a van kitted out to move bikes. He seems to not do that anymore and hence I now need cover.
    Is it the case some recovery services will leave you sat there forever because it's a bike, and they know it's likely to need taking home rather than a roadside repair? An AA man told me that tale, he said a bike recovery just costs money, cant repair them, whereas a car breakdown was 70%+ for a repair and charging you double for the parts.

8. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

be moto . quote 44 teeth for upgrade job done. when my rr4 ate its stator nice rad guy with me in 30 mins and that was leeds in rush hour.

9. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Should have said - I’ve got the RAC with Bemoto (having mentioned the 44Teeth thing when taking the policy out). I was mentioning the AutoAid as a way to cover both your car and bike for potentially less than having it as a bolt on to both policies :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Never really given it a thought :eek: I did have a
    tyre repair canister in the back of the 918 once ,,,,,,it had rubbed against something hard and leaked out all this sticky white fluid (no jokes pls :rolleyes:) only noticed when I got home ,,,,, what a feckin mess .

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

I'm in the Rac. Free with car insurance and bike insurance and my job. Not through choice but it's free.

12. Empty_Ten

Empty_Ten Active Member

I always get breakdown cover when I take out insurance (if not already included)

Have had to use it once and it took just shy of 3 hours to get recovered. On a Saturday evening around dinner time (just gone back through the old whatsapp messages ).

I carried a bottle of slime sealant but the puncture was too big. I now carry one of these whenever I ride

https://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/en/Oxford-CO2-Tyre-Repair-1-Kit/m-m-18433.aspx?PartnerID=21&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzN71BRCOARIsAF8pjfiEs84A1K3qq1RbFYk9Tuu9MFQr1XK5BaSRI9tsL2OK5oxEbjs-f5QaAgkrEALw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

I used it the other day to repair a nail puncture and it’s doing alright. Would’ve sorted me out when I needed recovery too as it was another nail in the tread.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Empty_Ten

Empty_Ten Active Member

With regards to someone who can transport a bike for you, I’ve used this guy before https://www.bikermedics.com/ in fact, he delivered the blade to me.

Not sure if he’s still going as that’s the only time I used him (over 2 years ago). Based in London/M25 radius I think

14. RR7

RR7 New Member

Thanks for the advice/tips.

15. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I've got mine with Barclays as part of the Travel package, includes RAC and unlimited travel insurance.
    Didn't realised at first, but covers both bikes and cars.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Barclays is good cover . Its recovery plus onward travel etc.
    Be careful though . Some insurance companys oppt for the cheapest cover if it's part of the package . So they tell you that you have breakdown cover to sell you insurance. But it's only attend and fix or a ten mile tow.
    So if your 100 miles from home you have to pay for 90 miles recovery .

17. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I was with GEM for few years as they consistently came up top in autoexpress but never had to use them. They are cheaper than the mainstream ones also have an app which you use in case of emergencies
    This year I switched to autoaid purely because of cost

18. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

I take out personal cover for breakdown recovery. This covers me for whatever I'm using, bike, my cage or someone else's cage. Only c.£50 a year and 'The Gold' package.

Chin

19. R.M

R.M Member

Have done 140mph+ on plugged tyre. No probs. I'm not condoning it.......but I;m still here. Manufacturers want u to change tyres asap.
    Money spinner. Plug it....ride on. Did at least 3k on plugged tyre.

20. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

Get ready for a flaming by the forum Police for the tyre plugging bit (not the speed LOL)

I know loads of riders that swear by plugging and riding on it until changing the tyre, also problem free. Tend to be the old skool (older riders). I personally wouldn't, purely on the concept of how plugging works, but that's just me.

Chin