Catastrophic engine failure, please help me..

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Blackngold, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Blackngold

Blackngold New Member

So at the weekend I took a steady roll out to snowdonia from my home in Nottingham, when on my homeward stretch (a500 just off the M6 Stoke) I was sat at 70 in traffic Flow and I noticed a low tapping noise in tune with the engine revs , I eased off the power and the with a touch of luck I was approaching a off ramp, as there's no hard shoulder, so indicated to exit, at this point the ticking was alot louder, as I coasted to the top of the slip road the engine just died, I managed to Fred flintstone it to a safe space and called for recovery, I tried to start the bike but nothing at all was happening, not even attempting to turn over, so I left the bike for a hour to cool right down whilst I waited for my brother in law to turn up with his van, still nothing so that's what happened...

Soo, ive spoken to my mechanic and he believes that it many have dropped a valve or bottom end failed, both of which options he'd be surprised at given the bikes got fsh and only 9k miles on it, regardless he can't even get to physically look at it for several weeks as they're rammed out, But he did say better start looking to buy replacement engine..

Sad thing is It was only purchased in Decembr from a business and has only done 3k with my arse on the seat, so I'm going to push for a warrenty fix, but already the seller is claiming only 3 months, although citizens advice and trading standards have told me it's 6month, so that's gonna be a difficult and draw out battle.

So just incase I have to get it sorted then claim back off the seller, I've started to have a look for 2010 engines and so far there's no engines of that year about, I was wondering if other years of engine directly fit?

Thanks for your replys in advance..

Cheers
    Sad scully

2. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

On a used 12 year old bike, I doubt you’ll have any comeback to be honest. No harm in trying but wouldn’t get my hopes up

3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Where was the bike bought from?

4. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Unfortunately a lot of these aftermarket insurance type warranties are not worth the paper they are written on but good luck with a claim.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. warren smart

warren smart Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Did you pay for any part of it over £100 on a credit card or on finance?

7. bladey

bladey Senior Member

It all depends, I think, on what you signed when you ought it warranty wise. If it was 3 months then that's what the dealer will go on. The consumer act says the motorcycle must be of 'satisfactory quality'. The description, price, condition of the motorcycle, fitness for purpose, appearance and finish, safety, durability and freedom from minor defects are all important factors when considering quality. Public statements (such as those in advertising or on labelling made by the trader, the producer or their representative) about the motorcycle must be accurate and can also be taken into account when deciding if it is of satisfactory quality. If the motorcycle is not of satisfactory quality then you are entitled to a remedy.
    But that only gives you 14 days to return it, so I think the opinions above are correct and you don't have a lot of hope of a total fix, maybe a contribution if you're lucky.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cookster

Cookster Active Member

has @vic_ster51 got anything about??

or failing that rebuild your motor??

9. TonyEmm

TonyEmm Member

Get yourself a factory workshop manual and start working through the troubleshooting process. In your mind the engine is already toast so you have nothing to lose but you might find it’s not what you’re assuming it is. If you do find it’s fubarred then you’ll have lost nothing but a bit of time and you’ll have learnt something along the way, plus have the peace of mind that swapping engines was the right thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. vic_ster51

vic_ster51 Active Member

Can put any engine 08-19 in by the way

• Useful Useful x 2
  11. Blackngold

Blackngold New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I've checked through the paperwork and there's nothing written about a limited amount warranty, so that may work out for me, that'll be down to CAB and TS to deal with.

I'd love to have the ability to strip the engine down, but I have next to zero mechanical knowledge to get me to that point, so sending it to a shops going to be the one and only real option.

Would a newer verient of the blade engine fit in mine, that's a question I would like to have answered.
    This dead engine is super low milage 9k and the frame, arm and fairings are brand Like new, so if I could pick a newer engine with low milage that'd be my perfect solution, this is a bike wanna keep if possible, its My first ever super bike, I spent every penny I had spare to buy it and now I'm in a Shity position...

12. Blackngold

Blackngold New Member

Really, like out and in without having to modify fittings and wiring etc...

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. vic_ster51

vic_ster51 Active Member

Yes basically, everything the same. Had a customer fit a brand new 19 engine in a 08 bike. There was 1 thing he needed to swap, cant remember from top off my head, a sensor or bracket but was small and easy!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blackngold

Blackngold New Member

Amazing, that's great news, I appreciate your help.
    It'll be getting moved to my mechanics at somepoint over the next fews days for inspection, so if worst comes to worst I'll grab a newer hopefully stronger engine for it...

15. Jez

Jez Senior Member

did it have oil in it,

16. Blackngold

Blackngold New Member

Yes, that was the first thing I check when Id broken down, the level was fine..

17. Jay Floyd

Jay Floyd Active Member

Keep us all posted on your findings as the engines are normally strong and rarely die like you described.

18. Blackngold

Blackngold New Member

OK, here we go.

My mechanic tony Parkitt Performance and racing has just called and the topend is fine and dandy, but there's signs of copper in the oil, which means there's a very high chance its shit its crank, theyre gonna drop out the engine flip it and investigate fully as to the exact problem, if it is the crank he was saying it can be repaired, but the cost in parts and labour stacks up real quick and that realistically a low milage replacement engine might be the best option.
    So @vic_ster51 your positive a 2018 is as easy as you mentioned? Do you have a little more information, I mentioned it to my mechanic and he's going to look into that, I just wanna be sure before I fork out..

Again guys thanks in advance for your input.

19. vic_ster51

vic_ster51 Active Member

£100000000000 ill give you if doesnt work. Thats how certain i am.
    Tried and tested
    But yes fits, works etc. Engine only with your other parts ie throttle bodies etc

• Like Like x 1
  20. buz

buz Active Member

What about knock sensor? The 2017 doesn't have one.