CB1000r, anyone ridden one.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Tonic, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

Im starting to get a bit bored or the prone riding position of my GSXR750. (I'm 48 And smashed my collar bone into 8 pieces a couple of years ago). So, I'm starting to look at uprights.
    I've only tried the Yamaha MT09 and found the seating position very comfortable, but the front end felt very light and twichey.
    So, the other option is the CB1000r...... any thoughts good or bad?

2. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

Great bike shite suspension

3. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

great bike , 18010736_402120576842001_1281223062540982490_n.jpg lot of fun

4. icedmind

icedmind Active Member

I had a CB1000r before I moved onto the blade. Everything on it is great apart from suspension and long corner stability(but thats probably a problem on all naked bike). Its very comfortable, I used to do 300 miles commuting a week on it plus other riding before my recent job change.

If you are thinking about a second hand one they are cheep and cheerful, I paid 4.5k for mine 2 years ago with 8k miles on it, 10 plate, 1 owner. Also like old blade, as they are blade motor with different gearbox, cams and casing, they do suffer form generator problem on early models. Honda do have a extended warranty for it, 7 years from date of first reg, so buy one as new as possible.

MT09 have richer low end power but have even worse suspension, you need to sit on the tank, put your leg out to corner fast, basically big supermoto. If you want more of a road bike instead of supermoto, try MT10 and s1000r.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys, great advice as always.
    I really only wanted to spend 4-5k, so rules out both the MT10 and S1000r. I would also be nervous buying any BMW, the amount of people needing new engines is frightening, I'm surprised the resale values are still as high as they are.

6. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

Been to a shop and actually sat on one of these today (and about 10 others), by far the most comfortable. The lads are looking at touring across German next year and also, Ireland, so I need to get something sorted (probably closer to the end of the year when prices soften).

Has anyone used them for touring? Perhaps fitted a puige clear screen? He did you find the experience? Too much wind blast for touring?

7. icedmind

icedmind Active Member

Puige screen fits on the bar IIRC, I had the Ermax one which free up some bar space and previous owner put a few ram mount on it; steering damper on that bike is a must when loaded up/ >100mph; its not the funest bike I had but definatley comfortable for both me and my missus.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

Thank you for the advice/info @icedmind , hadn't noticed they don't have a steering damper.......will keep an eye out for a bike which has one or look at costs of fitting one.

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Have you looked at the Suzuki GSX-S1000f ?

That is the faired version - a sit up sportsbike with a fairing rather than a pure naked.

The more I look into it the better it gets. I really like the all blue one, but this year's colour scheme is not so good.

Definitely on the radar.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tonic

Tonic Active Member

I'd looked at them and sat one them, really like them to be fair, but their a little too New for my pocket. I'd only budgeted to spend circa 4K, maybe a little more. They are really nice to be fair.
    At the moment, I'm ridingva GSXR750 k8 which is very nice, but not suitable for touring.

11. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

cb1000r and gsx-s 1000 are pretty the same bike
    pretty the same to drive , some reactions
    "pretty the same" cause after 9000 the gsx will became a gsx-r :D
    I had to spend few 1000 on my cb1000r engine to get some extra HP
    BTW , Astonishing the gsx -s it´s more like an MT10 for the HP output at the end ...

• Like Like x 1