CBR1000RR Fuel pump not priming... yes another thread for this

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Chris Dobson, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Chris Dobson

Chris Dobson New Member

Hi guys,
    I know there are a hundred posts already with this title but I am struggling with this issue and getting nowhere. I have a 2006 low kms CBR1000 parked up for aprox 6 months. Battery was dead so I replaced for a new one and fully charged. She worked perfectly before having a sleep for the winter. The bike turns over with the ignition, but will not fire up. I then remembered the fuel pump noise and realised its not priming at all. I have seen several posts about fuel pump relays and the fuel pump itself but I cant find any definitive showing where the relay is on the bike (or if it even has one) for the fuel pump, and where the fuel pump actually is. The manuals are nothing much better than a paperweight. Happy to try swapping / bypassing the relay first if I could find it, then go on my way of further checks from there. Any help really appreciated.
    Chris

2. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

Morning Chris!
    Mine's a 2010 model & the fuel pump's in the base of the tank, can't see yours being any different. It will have a relay because the pump uses fairly high current. My relay is near the battery & is labelled. It'll have a fuel pump fuse too that should be checked.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Black & White

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Chris Dobson

Chris Dobson New Member

Thanks. Unfortunately, my fuses and relays are spread all over the bike. There is one fuse and relay near the battery, but also a group under the left side fairing, of course nothing is labelled and I cant find a manual which shows me which is the fuel pump relay

5. Black & White

In the absence of location information, (sorry if this sounds obvious) I'd check to see if you've got live & earth to the fuel pump when the ignition is switched on (priming) & when cranking. If you have & the pump is not priming/running, you'll need a new fuel pump. You can confirm this by putting a 12v feed to the pump. If there's no + you'll have to check the fuses with a test light probe on the little metal bit on each side of the fuse, while it's plugged in & with the ignition on. I'd avoid using a test light on the relay signal wire from the ECU, as the low resistance of the lamp could make too much current flow & damage the ECU. Use a digital multimeter.
    upload_2019-9-14_7-13-22.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Black & White

No, really. Think nothing of it.

7. Black & White

@Chris Dobson. Oh. You obviously did think nothing of it. It's beginning to feel akin to @Marian Paraipan's post. When someone offers help & there's not so much as a shred of acknowledgement.... My offer of help ceases. It's something to do with basic manners.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, the common case of milking a forum for all it's worth and then disappearing!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1