decibel limit

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by scarra, Jan 14, 2016.

1. scarra

scarra New Member

Hi all I've been given a msv track day off my wife for Xmas so I have bought a db meter my 06 blade wth a yoshimura can is showing 102 on tick over and 106 at 5000 revs does anyone know how accurate these things are it was bought from halfords for £15 and as I live in nw cumbria nipping in to get it checked isn't really a option
    Thanks

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

not reliable enough to tell if your over the limit or not,plus it's 5500rpm.

get a baffle.

3. scarra

scarra New Member

Ok cheers scooby thought that might be the case

4. scooby

scooby Elite Member

also,how are you measuring? straight out of the end can,or as it "should" be?

5. scarra

scarra New Member

Half metre away at 45% it's what I read so hope it's right

6. scooby

scooby Elite Member

no it's 1m@90deg to the can (at least i'm prety sure it is).

after looking at the ACU regs,your right,it's not as i said.it's still 5500rpm though..

#6 scooby, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  7. scooby

scooby Elite Member

@5500rpm

8. scarra

scarra New Member

That's great thanks pal will try it again and hopefully it won't be as bad

9. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

I didn't think the under seat exhausts bikes were as noisy as the side kick out versions on newer bikes, that's just going from castle combe reports, pretty much all bikes with side exhausts fail their noise testing even with completely stock setup.

10. scarra

scarra New Member

Hi pal I wouldn't know about that I couldn't understand the high reading that's why asking about the reliability of these readers in my opinion I didn't think it was that loud but really didn't want to go all that way to get nobbed off

11. scarra

scarra New Member

Forgot to mention I downloaded an app and that was showing 93db on tick over and 96 at 5000 ??? So as you can see confusion
    Thanks for the comments though guys

12. scooby

scooby Elite Member

if that was the case you'd never see any blades on track.stock set up is usually fine bar maybe the r6,after market cans are the problem,but a decent db killer should get you through,although arrow systems on the blade do struggle even with a baffle.

13. scooby

scooby Elite Member

well put it this way,the meter used at track costs 100's if not 1000,so your 15 quid,or phone app isn't going to be the most accurate.

saying that,if they forget to put fresh batteries in the unit on circuit,that causes a lot of issues aswell.it should be calibrated each time it's used.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

I was meaning the underseat exhausted bikes are normally quieter than side slung exhausts, most side sling exhaust models will see db figures on 102ish with aftermarket exhausts with the baffle in.
    So the 04-07 blades should not have any issues passing noise tests at the majority of track days.

Castle Combe is known for very low noise limits and tell you on their site don't book on for bike track days if you plan on using a side slung exhaust bike as it will fail.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Couple of track days we visited last yr with the gsxr was on the limit for msv tracks (brands) for static testing and they said they would monitor levels on flyby track sound meters.

At brands and cadders we got exactly 102 db limit for the days but only got told we may have an issue at brands and they would check flyby results, nothing else was said at cadders.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dansp1

dansp1 Active Member

I have done Brands gp which has a limit of 102db and passed easily with a stock exhaust (2012 model)
    Not sure why castle Combe are failing stock bikes if they have a 105db limit

• Like Like x 1
  17. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Castle Coombe test at 3/4 of redline or near double revs of any other track.

Phone app not accurate probably at least 5db out.

It it helps my panigale with termis (baffle fitted) passed the 105 day at brands.

18. Lynden Brain

Lynden Brain New Member

Failed noise test at Castle Combe yesterday with completely stock 2008 Fireblade - reading 115 db! BTW two of the most helpful friendly people you could hope to meet doing the test. That means a great deal to a first-timer like me.

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

That is quite ironic if a 'standard' bike is capable of passing an MoT. How does one baffle and already baffled bike? Pull apart the standard can (probably sealed) and re-pack or insert db silencer?

20. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

That’s surly an incorrect reading, I’d have thought a standard 2008 would be around 99dB. My SC Project is just over 105 dB at 6000rpm without any baffling.

• Useful Useful x 1