Difference between 2017 & 2018 fireblade

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Fireblade1000, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Fireblade1000

Fireblade1000 New Member

hi guys (new to the forum)
    Recently upgraded my 600rr to a brand new fireblade 19ym plate. When i bought the bike from honda dealer all my paper work show it to be an RAJ model (2018) build however when i took it to my local dealer for its first 600 mile service i was told that it was a RAH model (2017) build based on the chassis number.
    Is there much difference in the build and any suggestion on what i should do? Should i contact the dealer i bought from and request it to be changed, or get a discount? Not sure what action to take!.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

First, the easist way visually is that the 17 models have blue 'Honda' logo on the belly pan whereas 18s have red. If you check your V5 or frame number you will see that the 10th digit should be 'J' for 2018 or 'H' for 2017.

Many dealers are selling 2017s as 2018s or even 19s. A good illustration is on ebay through dealers at the moment. At the very least (if it is the case) the dealer is guilty of misrepresentation. I would speak with the dealer first with a view to either discount or being supplied a 2018 model as was agreed in the purchase documents. Should the dealer not be amenable to that, I would speak to Honda UK with follow up in writing. Feel free to PM me for any further discussion.

Edited to say no difference in build aside from a bit of colour difference, BUT, you have a year old bike after expecting a current one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi and welcome to the forum - sounds like you’ve potentially been hoodwinked. Check what you have in writing from the dealer that states it was an actual 2018 model you were buying. If you have that off them then you’ve got a good chance of getting something sorted but if it was all verbal you’re on thin ice as its your word against there’s.

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

It's got to be more than verbal. It'll be on the purchase contracts, generally in the form of the VIN.

5. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Massive difference in 2nd hand prices over the 17 and 18

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

What I meant @nigelrb is if the paperwork when scrutinised all says it’s a 2017 and the dealer now says “No, I never said it was an 18, you must have misheard me”. It’s going to be a lot more difficult to argue than if there’s an original advert for the bike in question or a written quote that states it’s a 2018.

7. Fireblade1000

Fireblade1000 New Member

Thank you all for your replies.
    The honda badge on the tank is red, not blue.
    The paper work from dealer does clearly state its an RAJ 18ym. (See pic). I know the v5 log book shows it to be an RAH model, i will check the vin and check the letters as mentioned above. 20190225_101055~2.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Noo the Honda lettering on the Bellypan, not the tank. 17's will have Blue where 18's will be red.

9. Fireblade1000

Fireblade1000 New Member

My bad. Yep the belly pan honda writing is red. Iv got the matt black fireblade.

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

My bad also. I was fixated on an SP, not the other models.

Point stands though, that it can only be a 2018 model with 'J' in the VIN.

Yep, fair enough point, Ron. I was going on what Fireblade 1000 claimed in his opening post:
    'When i bought the bike from honda dealer all my paper work show it to be an RAJ model (2018). . .'

The V5 should note the VIN exactly as recorded on the bike. On the information provided, you definitely have a 2017 model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fireblade1000

Fireblade1000 New Member

Just checked the v5 and the vin is showing a H which as you said indicates 2017 build.

So i think i need to contact the dealer then and request some answers!

12. Fireblade1000

Fireblade1000 New Member

Just tried to match the VIN number on the log book to the one on the bike and the last 2 numbers dont seem to match with whats on the v5.
    V5 shows xxxxxxxxx23
    Bike shows xxxxxxxxxx06

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Holy crap. You got real problems - or so it seems. Don't waste a moment on this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Sounds like they've actually give you the wrong bike at time of collection if the paperwork doesn't match the bike?

15. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Don’t ride it and make sure its locked up good and proper - anything happens the insurance will wash their hands at the first opportunity. I’d email the dealer and then phone - whatever is discussed take note of and confirm the discussion to the dealer in a follow up email. Make sure everything is in writing and if you have any concerns the dealer is not addressing this 100% contact Honda UK (again in writing).
    Trust nobody and keep everything properly recorded.

#15 Boothman, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Fireblade1000

Fireblade1000 New Member

UPDATE.....
    Thanks for all your replies, really appreciated. Spoke with the dealer today they are shocked as i am as to how i have ended up with a different bike to what is on the v5. (Obviously there incompetence) awaiting on a call from them to see what action they are going to take. She was also stating that she didnt tell me at any point that it was a RAJ 18ym that i had purchased even thou it was what i requested and what is on the paper work. She claims there is no difference on the models.
    Im just wondering how they are going to sort out the VIN issue as there is probably someone out there riding what should have been my bike with a v5 document not matching there bike.

17. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Yep that's sort of what I was guessing at which means they pretty much need to replace 2 bikes or swap your documents over and compensate both of you accordingly. If it was me i'd be wanting the bike that is on the paperwork you have, not the paperwork for the bike you currently have. By that I mean a new bike not the other blokes bike that should have been yours!

18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Gross incompetence, IF what the dealer alleges is true. What you are actually saying is that 2 black blades were delivered on the same day, one a 2017 model, and the other a 2018 - both on 19 reg plates? Major, major coincidence. Surely staff would be aware that 'x' bike is being picked up by Fred Nurk and 'Y' bike is being collected by yourself?

1. I'm guessing you have insured that bike via the documentation which means YOU have no coverage for the bike you're riding.
    2. I wouldn't want the other bike after it's been 'owned' by another person. You don't know how it's been treated and it's effectively (or literally!!) second hand.
    3. It smacks of dealer 'backpedalling' with the statement (as @Boothman forecast) that no mention was made of a specific year. It would seem logical, on the basis of current evidence that both a 2017 and 2018 were sold that there would have been a discussion about model years. However, and quite categorically, the point is mute: The documentation states 2018 and in legal terms the written word will ALWAYS take precedence over the spoken word where evidence proves the written word is authentic. There can be no doubt that you've not fabricated your own contract.

Will be interested to learn the content of the dealer's forthcoming phone call.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

My two penny worth (and as ever IMHO)........ Don’t agree to anything on the phone, don’t get bolshy, just be positive in stating what is wrong and what is needed to put it right. Think, they could be recording the conversation and probably you should if you can. As ultimately if it goes all legal its evidence that counts not memories and hear say.

Get the dealer to follow up in writing as to what their offer of resolution is.

If its not “We are very sorry and we will get you a totally brand new 2018 (or 2019) spec bike immediately and here’s a bunch of accessories for free to be fitted as your preference”. In which case you can accept their mistake and adequate resolution without any further ado.

However, I doubt that will be their first offer, so you need to think it over and consult with others (family, friends, priest, us, whoever) before making any decision. If you are not 100% satisfied with whatever that offer is tell them and if they will not accept that they need to make good go straight to Honda UK with all the proof and see what they say. If they wont get involved go to your local Citizens Advice and talk with one of their legal people they have on retainer who can advise on such (usually by means of an appointment a few days later). It’ll be free in the first instance and you can get the full spectrum on your legal options.

Hopefully it wont come to that but as with everything - hope for the best and prepare for the worst. This isn’t your fault and you should not be at a disadvantage because of their mistake.

And whatever you do, don’t ride the bike, not even to return it - the dealer needs to collect and only after you have agreed resolution and ideally at the time of their delivering your brand new one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Perhaps you just uncovered a major fraud scheme.

This may be a regular thing for this dealer. They have just never been caught.

Could the dealer be a front the front for an elaborate criminal enterprise dealing in stolen bikes?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1