Difference between the 08-09 & 09-12 blade?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Leeb, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Tried to search but couldn't find what I was after.

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between the 08-09 & 09-12 blade?

Does the older one have a bronze engine case? MCN also suggest that it's a few bhp down but does more miles to the tank with a better mpg?

Initially I was looking at the 09 ABS model onwards, its just my local dealer has just had an 08 come in, low miles and mint, so was wondering how it differs?

Thanks

2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Not sure on the difference between them mate? But it might be worth a search about the abs on the fireblades

#2 raphael, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

Early 12's went to digi dash, better rear shock etc.

Theres a lot of history of 08/09's burning oil and crank issues but some 10's did. The gold casing ones are rumoured to be main culprit but alot hadno issues. My 58 burnt a bit but wasnt a big issue aslong as your not planning on touring

Abs is a contentious issue with a lot of reported failings to a point some remove the system

Personally id pay the bit extra for a 11+ non abs but there are some good priced 13my around and a better bike with new headlamps dash and suspension, but no major dramas with an 08 aslong as the crank is ok. Theres some very loved bikes gonfor sale on here for far less than a dealer. Price you pay for an 08 would easily get u a 11 here

Had an 08,13,15 and 16, loved them all, not really much mpg between them.. get the suspension right, fork oil changed and check the oil and the rest is all good

#3 Shutty, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. si1000repsol

si1000repsol Well-Known Member

A quick brief summary

08 Fireblade had the bronze covers and no abs available
    09 had the black covers and C-ABS became available
    10 had a larger (26mm) heavier crank than previous
    12 got new looks, big piston forks, gear indicator, digital dash, new rear shock and heavier but better balanced wheels. The loom was also different.
    14 got the SP and shared different bars, pegs, velocity stacks and engine internals. The exhaust headers were revised. The SP got Ohlins, lighter subframe and Brembo

5. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Ah, I'll have a search about the abs then, seems it maybe not worth the extra £. I just thought it would be a 'nice to have' thing.

Just a personal pref, but not as keen on the 'newer' style headlights, prefer the 08-12 rounder style. I'm probably in the minority that think that though :)

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out. I need to get a test ride on one first anyway

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Iain

Iain Active Member

Its the 08-11 headlights that are the same, 12 onwards got the different clocks, BPF suspension, and 14 onwards chnges as mentioned above.

7. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

I have a 2008 blade with bronze engine covers, that engine suffered from crank failure after just 6 months i got it. Had no warrenty, so i bought a 2013 engine. I researched this alot when i was going to get a new engine, and Honda did not fix the crank issue until 2011. Usually it is the 08 that suffers from crank problems, but there have been some reports of 09 and 10 have the same. Never heard that the 11 had it.

I would stay clear of the 08-09 models. Just spend a little bit more and get the 11 or even better the 12.

8. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Blimey, oil burning, crank issues, faulty abs, I thought Honda's are supposed to be bullet proof, haha!

Thanks for all the info, I'll bare it all in mind on my search.

9. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

the bike also put on weight after 2008 (so have I!!)
    they all have some issue, the question is has it been resolved.
    My RR8 (12kmiles) has no oil burning issue (touch wood) but I had the clutch basket recall done on it.
    Check the service history including any recall work
    Check for mods done to it; if so, proceed with caution. The reason is that even without all the modern electronic gizmos the bike is such a complex piece of engineering, you can easily upset the balance of its performance. If all is good, they why not RR8 sounds good (I also prefer the rounder headlights:))

10. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

My 2010 also had suspected crank issue ... at 30,000 miles despite being maintained religiously.

I would also steer clear of 08-11 ... go for 2012 onwards.

I'll never buy another Honda though after this.

11. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

What was the clutch basket recall all about? What issues did you notice?

12. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

it was a US service bulletin "2008 CBR1000RR Clutch Inner PRODUCT UPDATE CAMPAIGN "

Attached Files:

13. guitaryellow

guitaryellow Active Member

I had a brand new 2010, never burnt a drop of oil. I now have a 2nd 2010 Repsol again never burnt a drop, some day stronger in the midrange than newer ones, emissions changing the way the powers put down, however they are all ballistically quick. There are comparisons on YouT**.
    Buy the one you like, I’ve stopped buying new because I worry about getting marked etc don’t want to risk losing money etc as it’s new. I ride my Rep like I stole it. They are all good bikes whichever you buy

14. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Thanks for the info, that's a bit more re assuring.

I think I'll stick with my original plan, just maybe avoid the ABS versions. It's not really about budget, I just like the look of the older rounder headlighhts.

Ideally I'm even after probably the least popular colour too, the deep dark red :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

Mobility red :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Haha, no, is that what's it's known as :(

17. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

18. Leeb

Leeb Active Member

Brilliant :)

I still like it though, I even own a Qashqai! In black mind, not 'firebalde' red!

• Like Like x 1