Do you use ear plugs? Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kevin1, Sep 28, 2019.

?

Do you use earplugs?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2019.
  1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    97.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

As I did not want to hijack someone else's thread about helmets on here. I thought I'd ask the question as this subject has become very close to my heart.
    Tinnitus is a terrible thing. If you are just starting out please get used to wearing earplugs and always wear them.
    I had about 10 years of not wearing earplugs over great distances and riding everyday, and boy do I know about it now.
    Constant ringing in my ears, a bit like the ringing you get after going to a loud concert, but this ringing never goes away and I mean never, every waking moment. Fortunately the frequency is quite high and doesn't really affect my day to day hearing. But it is always there. So, please if you don't wear earplugs now, please buy some and start wearing them now.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Agree Kevin.

Ironically enough, I have always been of the loud exhaust brigade and only started wearing foam plugs a couple of weeks ago. What an amazing difference. the wind noise is almost zero and there's a sensation of going slower than we actually are. I won't be without them now.

I have had tinnitus for about 10 years now. Bastard of a thing as you say. I never even knew I had it at first. I thought it was a transmission noise from my mum's TV, but when later at my own home I thought: 'What the frig's going on with my ears?' Sure enough - tinnitus.

I used to go to loud concerts and worked in engineering where ear defenders and O H & S were not even heard of.:(

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yep got it too...I wear earplugs now but too late I guess...watching TV is the worst makes it pretty unbearable at times. Someone told me it's the wind noise that does the most damage while riding. My earplugs are those that cancel that out but allow you to hear the engine etc

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

bear in mind tinnitus can take many forms of audibility. I get the high frequency but sometimes it's complimented with the sound of WW11 bombers flying over the house late at night. Fortunately I don't get the bombers sound very often. But, that is when i realised tinnitus had set in. You don't half get a funny look off your wife, when you ask, "is there some planes flying over the house?"

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, so I don't have possums in the loft?:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

Yes I suffer with it too, I wear earplugs when I remember....bit pointless now though really as I’m as deaf as a post now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

It's a good point Kev, I've never really worn them as I like to hear the engine /exhaust note...... However more recently on motorway journey's I will always wear them as that's where you get the most wind noise.

On country roads and twisties I don't bother though:rolleyes:

8. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I used to like hearing the engine noise for gear changes etc. It's not worth the risk
    I don't think it is ever too late to start wearing them. More damage can always be done to your hearing and once it's gone it's gone.
    I'd wear plugs just to nip t' shops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Naz

Naz Active Member

had it for roughly 6 years now actually started after a issue I had when I rode home from work. Didn’t wear plugs then just headphones. Got back home and when I went bed I started suffering from vertigo, thought a earthquake happened everything felt as if it was shaking, after that issue settled down which was apparently caused by the crystals in your ear coming out of place and happens frequently to motorcyclists I noticed the ringing, I think I’ve had it for longer then I realise maybe become worse after the vertigo issue

10. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

Hi @Lozzy
    What type is it that you use as I am prone to stalling a lot with the foam type plugs as I never used to use them before but years of heavy industry, guns and bikes has my ears ringing all the time too.
    Thanks

11. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yeah I used to use foam but found them pretty useless and always losing them...got these free with a order from Sportsbikeshop a few years ago and they're bob on for the price

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/212436

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

You're welcome :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Spartan Andy

Spartan Andy Active Member

I am a newbie with tinnitus. Started getting bad vertigo in late march and then got tinnitus in my left ear in early April.
    Worked in the motor industry using air tools.
    I was thinking of selling the bike and giving up with motorbikes, thinking that the condition would get worse if I continued riding.
    Started wearing industrial foam plugs which work pretty well with high level sound when riding.
    Only downside with ear plugs on bikes, It blocks outside sounds to mask the tinnitus, Something I am still getting used too.

#14 Spartan Andy, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

I started using ear plugs in the last 12 months mainly because of motorway riding, use them every ride now . I probably play my guitar loud enough to use plugs ....... but that's just not Rock n Roll :cool:;)

• Like Like x 3
  16. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Have worn ear plugs for many years nothing flash or custom made, I use 3m foam earplugs i buy in bulk from eBay, just can't understand why you would ever want to ride without wearing them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I have Racefit exhaust and would not be able to ride without my top spec foam ear plugs, I am also from an engineering background with hearing issues :( I have the exhaust for the pleasure it brings to others:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

I've always worn plugs, as I find the wind noise annoying,, I'd not enjoy riding without them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1