Dual headligths

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Scandi999, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

Hi - I got this dual headlight module from a German supplier and fitted it to my CBF1000. While on dipped beam, the high beam bulb will get some 40% (adjustable) of the normal voltage supplied to it, so both lamps will be on, giving the bike a much better look (in my opinion anyway ) without blinding oncoming traffic. When switching to high beam, the module is bypassed, and the high beam gets full power. I will also be fitting one to my Fireblade - finally, I won´t get those "hey, one of your headlamps is gone" comments from non-bikers :)

Pic1: standard dipped beam
    Pic 2: dipped beam, module active
    Pic 3: high beam, module active (= standard high beam)

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. nambiker

nambiker Active Member

nice work. do you have a link to the place where you purchased the module? and is it easy to fit?

3. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

Hi - yep, here is the link:

***Michi-Motorsport***

As you can se, the site is in German, but I am sure they will understand if you write them in English. In any case, let me know if you need any help in translating some of the stuff. Yes, the module is very easy to fit; you basically just need to connect it to ground, the dipped beam hot wire and the hot side of the high beam switch. The module is very well designed; rugged and watertight and with no moving parts (it does not contain a relay, just transistors),
    so it think it´s worth the 50 Euros.

4. explorer

explorer Member

Looks okay are the fitting instructions in English, did you have to take many bits of fairing off to fit ?

5. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

Hi - I think the instructions were in German, but it´s so easy and with pics, so do not worry about that.
    You do not need to take any fairing bits off; you just need access to the two H7 bulb connectors, so just unscrew the
    two protective covers like if you were replacing a bulb. Tip: take the trouble to solder the wires together, grease the
    joints a bit and close it all up with shrink-wrap. Scotchlocks? Don´t even think of it...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clarkey

Clarkey Member

I'm interested in the conversion I click the link but as I don't understand German I haven't a clue were to go on the site

7. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

Hi - write him directly: Jens Neumann: [email protected] - he has confirmed that he is happy with enquiries in English.

8. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

If this is as easy as it sounds and only 50 Euros surely we all want one?
    Group buy and convince him to write english instructions??
    :)

9. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

Hi -sorry, I was referring to a different module that I fitted to my Blade; here is the thread:

http://1000rr.co.uk/mods-upgrades-accessories-products/16252.htm

I am sure that Jens Neumann is interested in a group buy; drop him an email and ask :)

10. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

11. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. glynn

glynn Member

If you go onto thr link using google chrome it gives you an option to translate into English.

13. iang27

iang27 Active Member

I converted my old bike so that both headlights lit up on dip by simply fitting a dual filament bulb to the high beam side then running one cable from the working headlight dip beam terminal to the spare terminal on the new bulb. I know it was probably a bit high but no one ever complained.

Going to do the same with my 2013 Blade

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scandi999

Scandi999 New Member

Clever -but don´t you need to make a H7-to-H4 socket conversion on the high beam side then? And are you sure the reflector can take the additional heat from the dual-filament bulb?

15. iang27

iang27 Active Member

To be honest I never ever used high beam as I am usually on my way back when it is dusk, usually back home before dark.

I did not use a conversion, if I remember rightly I modified the metal surround of the bulb so it fitted in the housing. I will have to have a look when I do the Blade, it was a cbr600 the last time.

16. northseawarrior

northseawarrior New Member

Sounds a bit dodgy to me to do it that way, you've basically wired it direct to the wiring that feeds the low beam headlight without the use of a relay.
    Don't know what size cable feeds the the first light but I'd have checked it first before putting any extra load on it.
    Seen tons of burnt out cars were people have wired in spotlights direct to the head lights instead of doing it correctly through a relay.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mikegml

mikegml Active Member

How long ago did you do this modification, have you had any problems? Does the wiring have any signs of overheating etc?

18. Frost1

Frost1 Active Member

Just sent him an email will keep you updated on this.

19. northseawarrior

northseawarrior New Member

Mikegml that was my concern when I read what he had done, wouldn't dream of doing it that way personaly, Relay a couple of quid tops Fireblade burnt out wiring harness Replacement I dread to think how many quids.

#19 northseawarrior, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mikegml

mikegml Active Member

To be honest this was the sort of simple 'mod' that I was looking for when I started a thread about the single headlight problem the other day.

I reality I'd suspect the extra load wouldn't be a big problem, but wouldn't be sure about this. I'd be amazed if the reflector would pose any problem with this modification.

I think you'd also have to put things back to normal for an MOT as the beams wouldn't be right.

http://1000rr.co.uk/general-1000rr-discussion/17035.htm