ECU Reset

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by hitch, Jun 8, 2018.

1. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Right, I've been searching and gathering info from previous posts but being the big ninny that I am I wanted to double check I have it right...
    The ECU reset process is as follows:

Disconnect battery for ten minutes
    Reconnect battery
    Start bike without throttle
    Wait for fan to kick in
    Hit the kill switch.
    Turn the key off
    Done

Roughly how hot does it have to get for the fan to kick in - 104/106 deegrees? ..my neightbours are gonna love me for this :D:oops:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

That's all correct and yes fan will kick in around that temp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hitch, why do you need/want to do that reset? Just curious.

4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I've been running with the Racefit for a while now and after startup it seems to be 'hunting' a bit on tickover and can be a bit lumpy lower down the revs.
    Before I look at dyno time/power commander/ECU remap's etc I thought I'd give this a try o_O

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Have you had the baffle in and out?
    Mine has started hunting on start up tick over since I took the baffle out the other day.

6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

...it didn't come with a baffle, I got the Growler end cap fitted in order to be able to use one but according to reports a baffle makes no difference anyway

7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yep I know they say that but when I got this latest Blade the baffle was in. I found the bike v sensitive on the throttle & sometimes it engine braked fine but sometimes threw in a sudden surge. However tick over was smooth ( this was after I reset the ecu)
    So then I removed the baffle and all the twitchy sensitive issues whilst on the throttle went and it felt much better, but...the smooth tickover started hunting.
    I think it's to do with lambda sensers/factory ecu setting etc or so I've been told.
    I'm going to disconnect & reset again shortly & I expect the tickover to correct itself. It used to sort the Leo vince so this shouldn't be different. Who knows! I'm afraid it's all mostly a mystery to my non tech mind lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Good to know - if it sorted it for the previous bike/exhaust combo then the same should apply here.

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

When you are talking of 'hunting' are you referring to a very lumpy idle, almost like the lumpy idle of a hot cam? If so, is one of the signs a rich fuel/air mixture evidenced as a 'sooty' exhaust?

My query relates to me drawing comparisons with my Yoshi on the 2011. I don't mind the lumpy idle, but it can be a tad fluffy at low revs, but then sings once over, say, 1800 revs.

I am actually considering Woolich software to smooth this out, but will commence a separate thread on the topic.

10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Quick update.....I've just started it up to check before I started to disconnect battery etc. And the idle is much better than the other day and isn't surging. So I don't need to reset now.
    So I guess that because I've ridden it now since the baffle came out, that the ecu has started to adjust?!?

11. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

No sooty exhaust...it all smells & sounds spot on. The Leo vince however did used to get terribly sooty and make my hair pong bad lol.
    Anyhow it's sorted now, and will be bang on once it's been to Hilltop

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

After fitting my racefit I reset ecu, also I made a baffle to increase back pressure, I do think I have lost midrange, but the baffle has stopped a lot of hunting I have not ridden the bike much with std ex 100 miles 3 years ago

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

WTF is 'hunting'!!!:confused::confused::rolleyes:

14. hitch

hitch Elite Member

In my experience it is the revs dropping and rising - lumpy as you put it in an earlier post.

I did the reset today and it seems better, however, the second startup it was still warm and it might all be in my head! :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1