ECU Tune

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Lock, May 16, 2021.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Had the 2007 tuned at Dave Wood - what a wet miserable day though so not much chance to open her up and see many benefits. Bike has aftermarket Yoshi end can, US exhaust headers with (no cat), O2 eliminator, Pair valve block off, flapper mod and pipercross air filters, although it still ran well felt all these mods must be having some impact on the overall fuelling, running etc. Dave and Dave Jr really nice and knowledgeable guys, can see they have fingers in lots of race orientated stuff, Aladdin's cave of bikes and bits. Good workshop and the dyno booth looks professional - very well sound protected, needed to be!

First run showed bike 145.9 bhp at rear wheel with 71.6 ft/lb or torque - pretty respectable for a 14 year old bike with some mods and 45K miles (original standard quoted figures are 142.6 bhp and 73.9 ft/lb) - poor old girl has never been revved so hard, but at least didn't go bang, popped and farted a lot though! Dave Jr mentioned fuelling was too rich over most of the rev range, although low down bit too lean - so felt some good gains to be had. Spent the next 1.5 hour doing probably about five or six engine screaming dyno runs, each time fiddling some more to get it to how he felt it should be running (uses diagnostic/data link port under left hand fairing to communicate with ECU). After the last run figures now showing 154bhp and 75.4ft/lb, so on paper has appeared to make some changes (my old 2007 blade was dyno'd at 164.3bhp -main difference is that came with full akrapovic race system, apparently with big bore headers which was rare on a road bike, and a power commander - seems that was a big power upgrade!)

On the road couldn't really do much with the bike due to wet weather, mud and loads of diesel everywhere, oh and a lot of crazy shit car drivers - as if they were all out on the same day!, but would i say smoother, felt it. Kept thinking would never know this was an old bike with high miles, runs so well and has more power than I'll ever need delivered in typical Honda silky smooth way! Is less juddery if trying to accelerate from low revs. Mate who I went out with says it sounds different, especially on tickover (is much less over-run popping out the exhaust - not so much unburnt fuel heading off in to the atmosphere, and maybe might save me a few quid or two on filling up!). Tickover was never bad as in hunting that much but was quite, bob bob bob bob bob (sorry if your names bob and that's offensive!) is only way to describe it, now much smoother and purring!

Whole process took about 1.5 hours and relieved me of £399 but can already feel some differences and at least feel the bike is running how it should be - especially with the mods that are on it. Seems expensive and maybe it is, but gives me better feeling to know its fuelling right and should give me years more fun. Can already see some positives with the running, and when the weather is nicer will take it out on some of my regular runs and see if i can notice anything more. Had my Street Triple ECU tuned by Hilltop, different overall experience and made no difference at all - but that also showed in the dyno runs as the before and after curves were the same - must have been running well already! At DWR, was a lot more attention to the bike and noticeably a lot more dyno runs, so feel its been fettled well and money has been more wisely (hopefully) spent

Now must stop spending on the blade project bike, doesn't need more fiddling with (famous last words!) - other than the fairings, just needs a lot more riding!. Bike is covered in crap now after going there in the rain - best get the bucket out and clean her off!

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. jokeshopbeard

jokeshopbeard Active Member

Nice write up mate! Did you get some good pics of the day?

3. Lock

Lock Active Member

No pics or vids, did think about it but got distracted, seeing the blade get revved up to the max! Roll on some good weather and riding opportunities, just a day of washing and polishing today though!

4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Think Hilltop have been exposed as con-men, might be why you didn't notice a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1