End Can / DB Issues

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by samuk, May 28, 2020.

1. samuk

samuk Well-Known Member

Hi

Struggling with my Austin Racing GP1 end can.. was unable to go on a evening track day and was told I will struggle with day time track days also...even though I have a baffle fitted.

Austin website says 106db without baffle and 103bd with baffle

Anyone got any ideas? As i cant use this and dont really want to be putting the standard can on everytime i want to do a track day.

Ideally want something that's 105db and 98 db with a DB killer..

Austin have offered me the V3 for £350 stating 101db without db killer and 99db with the killer.

http://www.austinracing.com/17-2008-2019-cbr1000rr

Also noted the can i have is £700 new? Is that right?

Attached Files:

2. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

"Also noted the can i have is £700 new? Is that right?" - That price is without VAT.. full price is £900 ish..... You'll not get an Austin at 98db for sure... I've actually ordered a V3 200mm with gp1/2 pipe and they reckon it should be about 104 ish... so we'll see.... but if you are looking at getting in under 98 then you'll want an exhaust with a cat I expect? a homologated Akra\Yoshi maybe?? others on here with more knowledge than me will be along to help shortly I expect...

3. Empty_Ten

Empty_Ten Active Member

If you want to hit 98Db I think you’re going to have to move away from a stubby style can and get one of the longer style ones which go up the side of the bike or put the stock can back on.

I have a yoshi R77 and even with baffle, I only just passed the noise test at rockingham - think it was floating between 103-105 at 5k.

It’s that or you chin off UK track days and do European ones. They’re more expensive but when you compare it to how much more track time you’re getting, it’s better value for money.

I feel your pain though, I wasn’t allowed on for the first 3 sessions of Silverstone on my first track day (didn’t have the baffle at the time). Luckily performance parts ltd were down the road and I zipped down there and they sorted me out with the baffle. Still cheeses me off that UK tracks have such low Db limits.

4. samuk

samuk Well-Known Member

Had a chat with James..he said my end can is £350 and the S decat pipe is extra..but this still done not make the £700 as advertised I think...as the V3 is also advertised at £700 on the site..maybe an error.

He recommended the v3 200 and with the current S decat pipe will work with the DB I am looking for..

Also said there is a new baffle for my gp1..but still this will be close to as advertised 103 & 106db

5. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

Wow that's confusing... I've bought two cans from them ( a GP1R for my RSV4 and now the 200mm V3 with GP link pipe and both cost nearly 900 with 10% discount!) I guess he must not like me :(.... I'm still waiting for the V3 as they've got an 8week lead time due to lack of staff due to Corona Virus situation...

So what are you thinking if doing to get yours to 98?

6. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

the db they show is at 4500 revs, i'd be surprised if any of there cans will pass on track

7. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

You'll get on a Donny loud day obviously but I've also seen a couple at Silverstone too with baffles and lasted the day (GP1Rs) .... My Aprilia was about 105 iirc with baffle @6k (and proper noisy without!) so it's doable but just depends what tracks you ride...

8. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

that does surprise me
    could depend where the speed trap is located too, plus how hard your revving past it, a fast group rider will be diff to a novice rider
    I'm sure when I took the blade to oulton with standard can it was 98db which surprised me,

9. samuk

samuk Well-Known Member

I did not ask him how much the S pipe is...surley this cant be more then the end can itself...i will call him in the morning.

He told me the v3 was 3 weeks away?

10. samuk

samuk Well-Known Member

So do I have other options? As there were plenty bikes on the evening track day few days back..and none were running standard cans..

I was told my just sounds too loud...and did not get to go...donnington!

11. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

Not had my blade long but they do seem to be quite loud.... One of the guys above mentioned trying to find a longer pipe? But if it's 98db standard I can't imagine much aftermarket will help keeping it that low...

Could you wrap the baffle in acoustic dampening wrap? When mine finally arrives I'll let you know what it brings up on the meter...

#11 Frazzle, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  12. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

How many track days are you planning on doing in a year? If its only a handful of times I'd just put the standard can back on, it doesn't take long and takes the worry away on whether it'll pass the noise test.

Or you could try wrapping the baffle in exhaust wadding and securing it with stainless steel tie wraps. I did this with my Racefit just to deaden it a bit ...... It still didn't pass haha :rolleyes::D

Or as suggested, move away from stubby style exhausts;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Or just strap some pillows around the exhaust to muffle it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Slick

Slick Elite Member

IIRC my standard exhaust with the servo removed was about 100db if not above?..... actually louder than my yosh r77 with a baffle!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lock

Lock Active Member

Went to track day with street triple 765 with SC projects exhaust on recording 104.8db (limit was 101). They suggested I saw support guys and for £15 they added some exhaust packing material on to end of dB killer and this got me below 101 and on track - problem was although great round corners and acellerating, on straight it just held back and wouldn't go above 95mph (shocking!!). Spoke to the guys there, removed the packing and was advised to take a wide slow line around the static microphones on track - didn't have a problem all day. Since then bought my own sheet of wadding off ebay (£5 I think) and aluminium exhaust tape, and fashouned a little cage out of chicken wire to hold it in dB killer. It passes the noise test now, but must admit it burns off/blows out after a few spirited laps :)

#15 Lock, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  16. Frazzle

Frazzle Active Member

Yeah I just looked at mine today out of interest and on the headstock it days 99db at 6000rpm... so it's quite noisy by default..

17. samuk

samuk Well-Known Member

Not many maybe 4.. Austin said they have a new baffle for mine..£20 I mainly try this..along with some some thing around the baffle..

• Like Like x 1
  18. FairWeatherBiker

FairWeatherBiker Active Member

Does anyone have a list of where these 'drive by' microphones are currently located on the tracks. Looking at Oulton, which someone has mentioned is a single one near the end of the start/finish straight, right before you roll off to start braking for Old Hall Corner. I have not had that confirmed. Can make the static test but have been black flagged on track for 'pinging the sensors all over the track'. Have also been warned to ease off at Donnington too, but not sure where.

19. dern

dern Well-Known Member

My 2007 gets tested at 5500 and has an aftermarket exhaust although I don't know the make. The bracket was micron but the exhaust may or not be so I don't know. Anyway, doesn't matter... this silencer is noticeably quieter than other exhausts with the baffle in but still has measured from 100db at Combe to 92db at Bedford. If you want to pass everywhere then the only thing I would suggest it get the quietest thing you can find and don't rely on the exhaust manufacturers measurements to scrape you in.

20. warren smart

warren smart Active Member

Mhp can build a can that will pass the noise testing.