Engine Oil Check Procedure

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by markie*mark0, Jan 30, 2015.

1. markie*mark0

markie*mark0 Active Member

manual says start the bike, ensure it is level then check on dipstick without screwing in.
    All ok, dip stick says good level approx 3/4 full inbetween lower and high levels.

Left the bike overnight then checked without starting the bike, level is over the "upper" mark.

Is that accounted for or am i gonna have an airbox full of oil?

2. Slick

Slick Elite Member

can't answer your question but this is why I check the oil cold after leaving it upright and fill to about 75-90%. this will be the max level so you can never over fill and it way above the min limit.
    Personally (not saying its necessary) but being above the max would make me lose sleep and I'd have to drain a tad!

3. el-nicko

el-nicko Well-Known Member

Do it by the book but make sure you have tissues at hand whilst your sitting on the bike to wipe the dip-stick. Also, that you have the correct/same oil that's in the bike. No point in checking it if you don't have oil at hand to replenish it is there? If it's between dealer services make sure you know what they put in and use the same. I like to check my oil last thing after a ride. After 'a thrash' I take the last couple of miles home really easy so as to give engine temps a chance to equalize. I get out of my kit. Clean the flies off my leathers and visor. Clean my boots then, after the ten minutes it takes to do all this, with the bike nicely cooled down I check the level. That way I know I can jump on and go the very next time the Sun comes out. ;)

4. charger

charger Active Member

When checking the oil level at cold engine (over night etc..) you may get false reading, cause there always drains some amount of oil from oil filter down to pan. That's why you should check the oil after a few minutes engine is shut off. Sorry my bad english :)

#4 charger, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I get your point about false readings but checking on cold and filling to 75-90% just means you can never be in the position that the oil is over filled and worst case it is over 70% full.

works for me:)

edit
    if checking when checking on warm I normally fill to 75-80%

#5 Slick, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. Rr-Len

Rr-Len New Member

I have the rr4 so have sight glass but my manual says start it up and let it idle for 3 - 5 mins, switch off and hold bike upright allow to stand undisturbed for 2 - 3 minutes to allow oil to stabillise and ofcause on level ground

7. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

I've always been confused by the dipstick reading on 08-15 as its angled so I just fill my max level the top point of oil is on the max line some people say fill so oil touches half way on the Max line so oil would be slightly over the max line one side and slightly under the other because of angle . Sort of shows this on manual fill level it's slightly over on one side slightly under other . I've always just got the tip of oil touching max so if anything it's only slightly under . I suppose easiest way is use the centre of the dipstick as a gauge and not the edges ;)

[​IMG]

#7 wedgiewolves#223, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  8. Andy Ryan

Andy Ryan New Member

Hi, where is the sight glass? Buggered if I can find it on my ‘04 Blade. Thanks!

9. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I filled mine after a service as per manual, vertical etc, then checked when cold, not far off, I keep mine on a spider warrior stand over winter and when not used so the tyres don't get a flat spot, Now I can just remove the dipstick and check, I think people are getting over stressed about oil level, If there is non on your dipstick, worry, but if slightly over I would not have an issue, engines are not made to be so sensitive to slight over/under fill