Fairing removal - tips ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by fez.57, Nov 10, 2012.

1. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

So tomorrow is D-day for me as i am going to try and start my winter clean up. i will be starting by taking all the fairings off so what things do i need to be careful off and what is the best order to take them all off ?

2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Take plenty of pictures, for referral to when putting back together.
    Take your time, the plastics are not as pliable at this time of year.
    Most importantly don't forget if you need any advice you can always rely on the Guys and girls of 1000rr.co.uk
    Even if it's just for taking the pi££!

Good luck mate. Took me five hours first time. And that was with Bats offering advice on the side too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Oh yes lots of pictures will be taken and im sure i will get stuck more than once.

Wow 5hrs with help from somebody who knows what they are doing, that means i might have all my pannels of by Christmas lol

4. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Remember Fez, I was being super Anal. Seriously the panels take a lot more than we think. It's the clips that are a little shy. A mirror is handy too, just to see in those awkward spots, some of the plugs unscrew, some push in.
    And don't forget. Use the correct sized screwdriver head. None of this one fits all.
    FFS I'm actually turning into Bats ;)

Edit. The five hours was removed, new air filter rad guard fitted and back on. Btw

5. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I hear the nose cone can be a bit fragile on the 08+ so take your time with that bit mate

6. Dano28

Dano28 Active Member

Found it pretty simple but agree take your time and don't just tug at things without looking for hidden screws or tabs!

7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

a job i'm doing over the next few months so will be keeping a eye on this thread Fez

pics on here are needed for us also bud

8. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I think what Remal means is that he intends on learning from your mistakes Fez

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I'll be starting my own soon - done the whole lot before when I swapped pearl white for rothmans chinese fairings - now need to fit replacements after 'incident' in France in September lol

One tip - when removing bolts etc. either put the bolt back onto into the frame where it came from, or use masking tape to attach to the fairing so the correct one goes back on - or freezer bags, write on bag with perm pen which bolts each bag contains.

And the clips / fixings etc. ARE a nightmare till you get the hang of them!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

You'll be fine taking them off, like the guys say, take your time and don't prize anything!
    I'm a little envious, that's the job I love doing when the wife is working the weekend, however this year my new bike has only done 1400 dry miles so it doesn't need stripping down to clean! Enjoy mate!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

no no a bit of guidance is always handy from all members

Martin this is not photoshop you know ;)

12. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Well i intend on going for the final ride of the year as its going to be a nice sunny day, then when i get back start the strip down. not sure how much i will get done tomorrow but i will get pictures on to show my progress

13. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Fez,
    The nose cone isn't too awkward it just has a lot of stuff screwed to it (remove all screen bolts and disconnect the mirrors, it saves them scratching the paint work).
    The side fairings or mid fairings can be awkward, just make sure to follow the service manual, and remove all the black plastics ( 1 under the nose cone, 2 either side of the mid fairings running down the side of the rad and 2 on the inner sides of the air scoops by the forks, these are held in place by three plastic fasteners that need to have their centers pressed in, in order to get the out) and the belly pan, then give em a good tug forward, the fairing and air ducts come out from the hole in the frame as one unit.
    The rear cowl is the most awkward, once all the bolts are removed you have to carefully pull and twist the whole plastic unit off the rear sub frame, it feels like its gonna snap but so long as your careful and firm it will come off ( watch this Hotbodies Racing CBR 1000RR Undertail Installation Guide (Part 1) - YouTube .

as said if you get stuck we're all here to help mate.. ( mine too will be going through the same process in the next week or so) :D ;) :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Wow, that does sound a big job, it takes me about 3 mins to remove my 954 side fairings and about about 5 mins to put them back.... it could not be an easier job, why are the newer blades so finiky ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

They do a damn good job of protecting the bike. I took my fairing off to give the engine a good clean last year and it was a pointless task. Good way to find out how to remove them though. Also once you do it once it's so much easier the next time.

Just wish my older bikes had the same protection.

16. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Cuz they were designed by an origami grand master !!! and hidden plastic tabs replace easily accessible bolts all in the name of saving weight and keeping the lines smooth and aerodynamically flowing .......... well thats the only reason i can see ..:confused: :) :confused:

17. gringo

gringo Active Member

Well just nipped in garage to look at blade in bits and then panic set in when i thought where the hell did that bit go .My push in clips broke 2 of from underside of fairing but got spares but where all the screw and push in type go well guess work iv now bought a haynes manual of ebay any one know where i can get the little screw in fairing clips from just in case.I just hope the manual will show me all the bits thingers crossed

18. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Now you mention it, all my fairing bolts are in view and are easily removable, there are no hidden clips or anything really, you see what you need to remove.

19. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

You will loose .00001 of a second over 30 laps due to the drag caused by them exposed screws and bolts!

20. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Right then this was my progress today, got stuck a few times but most bits were actually much easier than i expected.

i am going to show every thing i did just so others who are as useless as me can also attempt it if they wish, ( this is done from an idiots perspective lol)
    first i needed to get all the tools ready for the job in hand 845.jpg
    *note, a couple of allen keys and a socket set may also come in handy

so first i removed the 2 small pannels under both sides of the seat and as you can see they are only held on with a tab connected to the tank and 1 pop in/out clip. pop out the main clip first and then disconect the tab from the tank, obviously it is exactly the same on the opposite side 849.jpg

then i removed the 2 bolts that hold the seat on, these are the black screws under the middle of the seat as can be seen in the pic above, and then off pops the seat 850.jpg

then after in big row with a bolt with a rounded off head i finally got the tank cover off by just removing the 2 silver bolts on the end of the tank cover than you can access once the seat has been removed (again see pic above) and then the 2 bolts located at the front of the tank ( 1 either side) and then the tank just sildes straight off, with the 2 black tank pannels still connected 851.jpg

more to follow as i can only post a few pics per post

#20 fez.57, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 3