FI error code 23? Help

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Everton11, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Hi Guys,

New to the forum but after reading the wealth of information which is great thought I would join... So hello my fellow bikers

I have a problem and searched the thread but cant find a answer to solve it.

I have a 2010 1000rr and love it had it for a year now and just fitted a Yoshi R77 end can, power commander v and o2 eliminator.. Bike runs sweet and no issues with power or it running :)

However the Fi light is blinking an error code 23 (2 long and 3 short blinks?) Tried to reset the code by the short circuit delete method and it removes it.. But then when i start the bike up again the error returns??

According to the error code check list it is a 23
    engine operates normally
    Faulty oxygen sensor heat element

I have to oxygen sensor heat element as the lambdre sensor has been removed and o2 eliminator fitted which should I though correct this??

I have checked all connections concerned while fitting the power commander i even removed the power commander and went back to stock ecu map settings and the error code was still there?.... Grrrrrr :confused:

So Have you guys any other suggestions as to what i could try next?

Thanks

2. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

there are lots of tech guys on here with much more knowledge than me but is it possible that the o2 eliminator is broken ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Hi Fez,

I did consider this Fez so i put it to the test... If it was broken then i would not be able to adjust the values on the map at tick over.. I adjusted them with no problem to test this theory.. Now if the o2 eliminator was not working then in theory i should have not been able to make changes to the map settings at tick over... I maybe wrong in the above as this is new to me but maybe someone can correct me...

4. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum,

Sounds like a faulty O2 eliminator to me mate.

Have you tried plugging the lambda sensor back in with the PC connected, clearing the fault, then running the bike up again?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Hi Ray,

I am still suspecting this myself so gonna buy a 330 ohm resistor to eliminate a possible faulty o2 eliminator which is brand new from dynojet... I have read the forums from top to bottom on this subject and the only possible conclusion i can see is the possible faulty plug so gonna pop down to maplins and will report on my findings later :)

6. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Could you not just put the O2 eliminator on a multi meter to see if you get the 330 ohms resistance?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Hi Andrew,

Ok been and bought a resistor 330 ohm only 20p and tried this and the error light still comes on as before with the dyno jet o2 eleminator... Now what is interesting is when I start the bike from cold there is no error light flashing (even with both resistors)... after around 2 mins of idling and temp gets to around 40-50 deg then the light starts to flash the error code 23? this is weird .... Andrew yes I could have tested the resistor but mates got my multi meter so was quicker to just pop out and buy one... Any more ideas guys? I am determined to beat this ?? lol

8. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Also to add that if the resistor was at fault when you turn on the ignition the FI light would stay illuminated solid straight away to say there is no o2 eliminator...

9. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

The following codes are only applicable to models with catalytic converter.

engine operates normally
    faulty oxygen sensor
    engine operates normally
    Faulty oxygen sensor heat element

10. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Well I assume the blade has the cat built into the standard can? So yes the code is for Cat converters... It's the heat element apparently which as I have read the lambdre sensor does heat up to operate correctly ... the code is deffo 2 long and 3 short = 23 ... Am stumped at the moment as what is causing it to light up with the Mil error :-(

11. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

jm1 told me earlier a mil error will be caused by the motor that opens the exhaust valve being in the wrong possition. this could also be worth a try

• Like Like x 1
  12. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Hi Fez,

Well i played about with the sevo motor and tried rotating it in all different position to see if this would get rid of the fault.... but when u turn the ignition back on it seems to go back into a default position set by the ecu.. now unless there is a way to calibrate or reset this i am unsure.... but yes i did consider this as a possible cause.... Can anyone say where the position is supposed to be as it seems to work ok as normal and will not allow me to reposition it without it wanting to return to default ... hmmmm...

13. JM1

JM1 Active Member

08 onwards defaults to the standard (correct) position

14. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Ok after searching high and low on the forums for help on this code it appears there is very little info about the error code 23?? I have found a guy with an identical problem on a thread in Australia.. The error code 23 cannot be fixed it is a bug in the ecu and triggered when the o2 sensor is removed... The ECU has to be replaced according to honda dealers in order to solve this error 23 fault.... hmmmm bummer.. Although i can still use my bike i want it to be right and not have the MIL light flashing at me.. ?For a full read up on the thread here is the link..
    Oxygen sensor problem after PCV and Autotune installation : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

Now my next question is if i take my bike to a honda dealer with the Yoshi can on and o2 eliminator installed will they void my warranty if i ask them to have a look at my MIL 23 error code??

15. MrB

MrB God Like

No the warranty won't be void on the whole but it will be on the parts you have replaced as obviously they are not Honda parts. If as you say the non Honda parts fitted have caused the fault then warranty will not cover the repair, but you will still have a warranty on the standard items.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

Thanks for that Mr B.. I will have a pop down to the Honda dealer and see what they Say... :)

17. JM1

JM1 Active Member

You should probably try removing the stuff you fitted first and see if that resolves it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Everton11

Everton11 New Member

JM1 I have tried this and reverted back to stock it made no difference the error light is still there. Only thing changed is the o2 sensor which was replaced with stock and the error light is still on...

19. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Ah OK. Your only other hope is arthurbikemad then!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bats

Bats Active Member

BAck to standard if light still on chuck it to dealers ball ache but free ;)