Fireblade c-abs fault

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by BennyBoy, Mar 16, 2016.

1. BennyBoy

BennyBoy New Member

Hi Guys,

New here but was wanting some advice, I have a 2010 CBR1000RR C-ABS Model Blade, up until now I have never had an issue with the breaking system and always worked well, last Saturday after a Morning ride out for 1-2hrs I returned home and pulled onto my drive, as I reached for the front brake there was Pressure for a Split Second then nothing, the leaver went straight back to the bar and there was no brakes at all, this happening I rolled into my wall cracking my headlight and top fairing ( slightly pissed off ) now the bike has had up to date services and the brake fluid was changed about 18-24 months ago, I contacted Honda UK who advised me to contact my local Honda Dealer, when I called he said this isn’t the first time he has seen this issue and when they look into it they cannot ever get to the bottom of it, So I called Honda UK Back as the Dealer advised me and they Said, Find another Dealer, so at present I feel like I am being pushed back and forth, my biggest concern is if this would of happened when I needed i.e. On the road, pulling up to a Junction or coming up to a Corner?

Has anyone had similar issues relating to this Model and what was the outcome?

I have searched the Web and found lots of issues, but couldn’t find anything relating to total loss of pressure in the leaver,

Any help would be great,

Many thanks,

Ben.

2. Greco

Greco Active Member

The same debate about the abs system...over and over again...to have or not to have!!. How unfortunate mate. There had been discussions over this forum and people had it stripped for safety. Others didnt.
    I would suggest do a search in here and be careful out there

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tom68

Tom68 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. BennyBoy

BennyBoy New Member

Thanks Guys, Trying to navigate my way round :)

Biggest fear is the fact it may go again when i need it most, and Honda seem to fobbed me off.

5. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Benny Boy You have 2 issues here that will cause you stress.

1. Honda UK state that this type of failure is impossible and they have produced design diagrams that the VOSA engineer inspected in an attempt to prove it cannot happen. The VOSA enginner states that the modulators are designed in a way this cannot happen......I don't think the modulators are the issue....read on

2. The problem is intermittent, thus normally when the bike is tested it will function correctly, in fact releasing and reapplying the front brake lever solves the problem.

Now the reality, Yes total brake failure and the lever collapsing to the bar does happen, and I personally had it happen many times from speed.

As soon as the front brake lever was released and reapplied, the system worked normally and would continue to do so until it failed again at a time in the future that could not be predicted.

Again Honda will totally wash their hands of this and claim it is impossible.

For what it is worth, and I am no motorcycle engineer, the front brake lever is connected to a stroke simulator, which in turn send signals to the ABS ECU, that in turn determines the amount of lever feel or resistance you feel at the lever and sends signals to the modulators which apply pressure which in turn operates the brake calipers.

I felt after multiple failures and total lack of braking retardation, that somewhere in that little chain of electronics, when you apply pressure on the lever, that signal does not get to the ECU, hence no signal goes back to give you lever resistance and no actual braking occurs at the calipers, if you apply rear brake the bike starts to slow down, thus I believe this issue is only related to the operation of the front brake lever..

The issue is that as far as a owner, Honda UK treat you like a lying k*nt and a novice rider and its all your fault and you are making it up.

Only way out of this mate is to do what many of us have done, bin the thing and buy either a non ABS version or another make with Bosch ABS, the Bosch system works, .......I cracked after 2 years of grief, deciding it was cheaper to get goosed on trade in values, rather than die on a poorly designed piece of s*ite.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Well said mate, but unfortunately even tho I'm right there with you on the above and have said pretty much the same many many times others will still continue to argue vigorously and have faith in Honda and their prototype pile of sh*te c-abs system right up until they don't but by then unfortunately it may be too late for them causing them harm or worse! :(

#6 ShinySideUp, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Dude, I feel your pain but as far as Honda are concerned the bikes now out of warranty and therefore any problem is pretty much your problem not theirs!

Tbh I'm pretty surprised the dealer even said that they had seen the problem before as the Honda company line of recent times was deny anyone ever complained and any dealer had ever had to do any warranty work on a bikes c-abs system!

Reviewing most forum threads from around the world Honda just seemed to fling new bits at the bike and hope the problem didnt show up and come back again till after the warranty period was up then Honda get to wash their hands of the situation and it then becomes the owners problem to sort and at their cost not Honda's!

• Like Like x 1
  8. CBR-Pete

CBR-Pete Active Member

I had the same issue which also caused damage to the bike, didn't get anywhere with Honda or dealers even though one dealer did admit to hearing about other blades with the same fault. After this I started using a camera to video the bikes front end when I was out and about, needless to say after a while I got some nice footage of the fault happening. Now it was not just slow speed failure even did it at the end of the long straight at Snetterton, which did cause me a bottom clenching moment strange as it sounds you do get used to it trying to catch you out and when it does happen it's just a case of letting go of the lever and re-apply although it will go into limp home mode where the brake's seem crap. All together I had about 20 clips of it going wrong over a six-month period, I had intended to try and make Honda admit a problem however, the fault happened when the dealer was giving it a test ride. The bike was then finally booked in to have a full check under the warranty. No idea what they did to my bike apart from changing what looked to be most of the system and pipes, I do now ignore Honda's advice and have my system flushed and new fluid ever year seems over the top but I have not had the issue again.

9. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Simple, drop it down to me and I will remove the whole system for a days labour! Removed mine as I wanted to upgrade brakes anyway! Lost loads of weight 11kg!!! And now have a flawless amazing braking system without any future dramas or brake bleeding issues.... All you need is new lines and a pot of decent brake fluid .... Job done

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I sold my ABS due to Honda's total 'couldn't give a Fek' attitude to this and bought a ZX10R instead.

I will never have another Honda until they use BOSCH electronics like every other manufacturer does who have ABS equipped braking systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Eh Honda already do use Bosch abs systems in the model line up............they just fitted some bs prototype crap to the blade and baby blade!

12. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Do Honda make Non Sports Bikes?

Never knew that! :eek:

13. Edmund

Edmund New Member

Just to be clear is this problem related to just the eC-ABS braking system, as I believe the other Honda bikes equipped with C-ABS don't seem to have this problem do they?

14. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

The 600rr uses exactly the same system and suffers exactly the same issues

Other models like the VFR use a different system and do not suffer the symptoms.

15. Edmund

Edmund New Member

Precisely, the eC-ABS system is the dicky one not the C-ABS as fitted on the VFR's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Yes the only bikes that have the 'dodgey' system are the fireblade and 600rr

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

Yep. The worst part is the brakes are designed to never work twice in a row without rest... A bit like a certain bike manufacturers favourite management style... Once they've used it to find their privates first thing, they're no good for anything else the rest of the day.

18. SimonS

SimonS New Member

Hi, I found this conversation having searched google articles related to CBR ABS failures relating to the light flashing. However, my issues have only just started with a visit to a dealer to get a tyre changed. No issues when I went in, but now they reported the ABS light flashing while being test ridden following the tyre change. Any ideas on what could happen to ABS sensors, the ABS track on the wheel of other issues arising from a wheel being taken off.... They have kept the bike to run a diagnostics check to find the issue..,

19. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Is this offer still on?

• Like Like x 2
  20. bladey

bladey Senior Member

They all have different answers. When my 2012 started flashing my dealer told me to turn ignition off and then on again but eventually found it was a slightly loose connection at the battery with the optimate. I think they’re head in sand initially then try and sort it if you don’t go away.