Good track upgrades?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Liddell98, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

So recently converted my 2015 for track, spent a fortune so far! Already came off too so crash bungs defo done their job but looking for advice on what to do next.

I've upgraded the pads to sbs sinister and changed brake fluid and wow what a difference.

Changed rear sets, clip ons, all the fairings and crash protection, tyres, chain and sprocket.

Recently bought a ohlins rear shock which I've still to fit, looking at getting the sp ohlins front forks & full straight through exhaust too

Now looking at what else I can do?

Probably spent in the region of 9k to date! So funds are running out but kean to keep making improvements

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

It's not necessarily what's on the bike - it's how it's set up. Get the suspension properly tuned, get good tyres, and run premium fuel.

3. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

You run v power? Well I plan to get the suspension set up once I get it fitted, I was using slicks but think it's not warm enough for them now so going for supercorsa ones instead

4. gaz22

gaz22 Active Member

Hi pal, get the baseline suspension settings done by your local guy and then when you are at track, if Colin from 100% suspension is there give him £50 and he will do further set up for you all day, you just give him as much feedback as you can and he will keep adjusting for you, you’ll be surprised how much the feel changes throughout the day as the suspension oil warms up
    I used him beginning of this year and if you got an issue after the day he has no problem with giving you advice over the phone
    Best money I spent, gives you loads of confidence
    Good luck

• Like Like x 2
  5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

For me it's all about maintenance rather than mods as the biggest difference on track is the rider rather than the bike. By all means do the basic track mods as already mentioned i.e. tyres, brakes, suspension, crash protection, oil services, look after the chain/gearing etc. But my advice would be to spend time on yourself, wether that's with more track days or more training.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Excellent point, Muffy. We can have the fastest bike on the circuit, but if we can't haul it around corners we'll never be at the top of the time sheets!

Training must also include physical fitness and diet. One kilo off each butt cheek is worth far more than all the titanium bolts and carbon one could ever find!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Excuse my ignorance mate but how can it not be hot enough for slicks? If your up to the pace needed to generate the heat they will give miles more grip than supercorsa’s. You say you will get the suspension set up once fitted but what about what you have on the bike now?

8. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Plus it's fekkin boiling out there at the moment!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Muffking

Muffking God Like

+1
    Getting heat heat into your tyres with this weather is the least of your worries. Exhaustion is :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

I'm in Scotland and I've been told that slicks are only good when it's scorching, they won't get up to temp and I'll end up coming off? I've got Dunlop slicks which are a medium tyre, I've got about 3 sets but been advised better with supercorsas!?

Thanks for all the advice, think I'll hault the spending for now and just get some more practise in, I'll get my suspension set up to my wait etc too and see how that goes

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I am an advocate of the worth of Super Corsas - I have them on my 2018 SP2. I also have Rosso 2s on my 2011. There is a noticeable grip and confidence difference between the two, the Super Corsas coming out on top.

I deduce from that (though I haven't used slicks) that slicks would be far superior to the Super Corsas once up to temperature.

12. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I use SC1 and 2's on track and road in summer, they like a bit of heat, but only really suffer in very cold conditions, just like slicks

• Like Like x 1
  13. Liddell98

Liddell98 Active Member

I've had no issues with the slicks so far, always on tyre warmers when I'm off too. Now that the weather isn't as hot I've been told its safer with the supercorsa as they heat up quicker as they are slightly treaded.