GPS Tracker

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Gums, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Gums

Gums Active Member

I am thinking of getting a GPS tracker for my Blade, have any of you had some experience / info / or can you point me in the right direction please.

2. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Why ? Does the cost and ongoing fees not seem high against the possible insurance savings ? or is there an added bonus to the fitting of a tracker ? e.g. route plotting, trackday lap times etc

Not trying to say its a rubbish idea, just wander if its an effective deterent for thieves

I looked at this before when it was acumen

Acutrac

#2 Jamiestrada, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

We have this on our wobble box
    Car Tracking, Fleet and Van Tracking Systems and More - TRACKER
    The recovery rate is pretty good.
    It's movements are monitored when you or someone reports the vehicle stolen?
    Which I thought was a bit crap to be honest. Seeing as the box is parked 11 months of the year and only checked once a month.
    However you can inform them of the vehicles location and how long its going to be there, or you can have it linked to the vehicles security alarm.
    Once the alarm alerts the tracker any movement will monitored.
    They will not however send the police if the vehicle isn't moving, but they do send you a txt to inform you your alarms going off.
    Usually this is due to low power output of the battery.

4. Spudkent1

Spudkent1 Active Member

i have a tracker on my van but also 4 cameras that can be watched over the net at any time

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

my mate uses this SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

He rides all over the world and it's never failed him. He takes part int eh Iron butt rally in the US having to got to all mainland States in 11 days. 11k or there about. I always watch him on his travels and he rates it highly and has used it for years

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

7. sinewave

sinewave God Like

If it's for Theft Deterrent, forget it!

There is not anywhere to successfully hide the transmitter on a Bike that won't be found in 2 mins, by even the most amateur thief, so it's a pointless and costly exercise IMHO.

Same goes for Alarms TBH.

If 'they' want it it'll be gone in 60 secs and dismantled for bits, or wazzed in a Container and on to the high Seas before ya can say 'Jolly Ridger'

Best thing is a decent mechanical chain such as this!

Almax Security Chains Limited

:cool:

8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I've seen units on ebay for around 50 quid with a years subscription to a monitoring service, the ability to geofence the device and alerts on movement.

It wont bring your insurance down but the units are getting far smaller now and if carefully installed would not be obvious.

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Trouble with all these so called 'secret' installations is they aren't - Secret that is!

Any T-leaf worth their salt will have researched whats available and where it's hidden by visiting websites such as the one above.

It's Catch 22!

The manufacturer has to advertise to get Punters, downside is the very Peeps their gear is trying to protect you from can read also!