Grip angle gauge 2017-

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by nevsrevs, Jan 27, 2019.

1. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

anyone worked out what it’s actually telling you yet?
    Is it speed related grip or what?
    It seems to increase with speed even upright

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Many new owners think that the weirdly named 'grip angle' relates to tyre grip. This is not so. It is part of the electronics package that shows the throttle openings relative to the 'grip' (or more correctly - twist) of the throttle. One of the best sites for Honda technical info is this: http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2018-h...s-motorcycle-sport-bike-cbr-1000-rr-fireblade

I have reproduced, below, the section found in 3.3 Electronics, which specifically details the 'grip' function. Now you will understand why it increases with speed!;)

"The 2018 Fireblade is the first inline four-cylinder engine from Honda to use Throttle by Wire (TBW) control. Derived and developed from the system used by the RC213V-S, its job is to put precise throttle control – and a very natural feel – in the rider’s right hand. Heart of the system is a newly developed throttle grip Acceleration Position Sensor (APS) integrated into the right handlebar switchgear, which itself neatly mounts the engine start/stop switch – nothing more. APS converts movement of the grip into an electrical signal sent to the ECU, that then transmits it as an actuator signal to the TBW motor, achieving ideal throttle control relative to grip angle. The return spring and other mechanisms inside the APS faithfully reproduce the initial play and feel of a cable, with throttle load set specifically for the Fireblade."

3. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I think it fair to say that it accuracy is a little inconsistent. Hopefully it’s more accurate in the ECU when it’s working out lean angle and anti lock braking. It’s pity it doesn’t save to data as it’s a bit awkward looking at the lean angle as you crank it round your favourite corner.

4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Agree with Kev.
    Why they have to introduce all this electronic compilation is beyond me, mechanical throttle control has worked perfectly forever, these electronic "improvements" will just lead us inevitably to Skynet taking control and certain dooooooooom

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Perhaps so, but on a positive note, we truly have to embrace this era of 'electronic assistance' and make the best of it as we can. For some components on our SPs, we have the ability to turn down or off certain functions. It will never return the bike to a 'pre-electronic' state, but this is our lot for now.

I have spoken strongly against throttle-by-wire (vs cable) but equally strongly applaud Honda/Ohlins 'active suspension'. For an average rider, it takes hell of a lot of guess work out of setting up. A rider more sensitively attuned to his suspension might think otherwise. That would be interesting to hear.;)

6. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

So I’m still trying to get my head round this???
    We have a gauge on the dash that’s called grip but means throttle position? And has no relationship with lean?

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Precisely! Don't we just love Japanese translations?:D

8. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Without getting my lazy arse of the recliner, I think it says "lean angle". Nothing to do with throttle position

9. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

Turning that shit back to tacho then. I got a Wrist that tells me that

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think you'd better get off the recliner then. And while you're up, refer to page 44 of the 201 - 18 Owner's Manual;).

You might be confused with 'bank angle' which is in the 'Lap Data' mode.

11. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Oh well if you insist. But I'm not looking in the manual. They must always be handed over to the second owner in pristine condition. Whilst the cover is off i may even fit the tank pad. But equally I may not.

12. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Well I did get off my lazy arse, but I currently have the exhaust servo disconnected so all I'm getting at the moment is a big engine sign, where the lean angle doofer is. I'm sure it is to do with angle of the bike and nuffin to do with throttle stuff. By the way I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to set up the exhaust servo cables.

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Kev, read my post #2 in this thread. I quoted the linked relevant technical info.;)

14. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Read it - don't believe it

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Don't make me go to the hassle (in a cold garage I might add) of connecting my servo up to prove myself wrong as usual.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Ok I did it. Proved myself wrong as predicted. However I do think it relates to how far the bike is leant over. Despite what others might say. Because it does change the reading as the bike is leant over. I’ve not noticed it change the reading just by revving the bike.
    On another note. I decided I’d fit my tank pad. Then noticed the specified temperature range. Then noticed the pad was damaged. I’ve emailed them.

Attached Files:

17. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

It did not detect lean when I rode yesterday, only increased with throttle

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

The next time I'm out on it, I shall have to pay more attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Panic over. Tank pad not damaged some plastic had got inside to cellophane wrapping. Phew.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RC45

RC45 Active Member

Uhm - not sure where the confusion is coming from.

Throttle grip angle is just that.

Displays current grip rotation angle exactly correct to the whole degree. Very useful data to display.

It is both a diagnostic tool and rider information tool. This way you are aware of the rotational angle of the throttle grip for a given situation if you wish to know.

As a diagnostic tool it will help to determine if there is a throttle grip angle sensor issue.