Grip puppies - advice appreciated...

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Old_boy65, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

After two recent trips... 1) 200 miles straight - particularly the right arm, hand and wrist felt battered. 2) 100 miles there and then later during the same day... 100 miles back - hand/wrist/arm felt OK but still a little uncomfortable. I've taken advice on posture etc but wondered if grip puppies would help relieve any undue pressure on the hand/wrists and arms? Cheers for any advice...

2. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

Try using your knees more to take your body weight. Tank grips are good. You'll find steering easier too. U could try kinesiology tape. You'll find on google ways to apply it. Helps with arm pump

3. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

Thank you, I already do this... if I squeeze the tank any harder the petrol cap will fly off!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Spartan Andy

Spartan Andy Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

Cheers for the link.... but I’ve a feeling if I have to go to that extent to ride 200+ miles then sadly I’ve got too knackered to keep a blade. I’ll feel like I’m trying to turn a silk purse into a pigs ear :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

Look at your wrist position when covering the brake during cruise. If should be fairly straight and hence relaxed, it may be just a case of slightly rotating the lever assembly for a more comfortable position

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

I put helibars on my last blade and will do so with this one.

They made a huge difference to the comfort of the bike, without losing any good bits.

I'm 6'2 and have a heavy upper body so there was a lot of weight over my wrists, which on longer journeys was less than ideal.

As for grip puppies, I got some for my K1300s as the engine is quite vibey, and I didn't like them, made the normally very skinny bars too thick, and I have fairly large hands.

The grips are factory fitted heated grips or I'd have put some Progrips on.

8. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

Thanks for the advice maybe I shouldn't be so quick to dismiss helibars. Can you pls give me an idea of how big a job it is to fit them?

9. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

I got my bike shop to do it, as I'm not very practical with things like that, but I think they have some information on their website, it is not a huge job by any means.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Mmm. I think someone's turning soft. Massive turnaround from your earlier post. Can't wait to see pics of the 'pig's ears'!:D;)

11. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

... can you remember how they charged - just looking for a ball park figure. Cheers

12. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

Royal Marines to teacher. In 28 years I've definitely softened... ps arthritis can KMA

• Like Like x 1
  13. dgr

dgr Active Member

Strange as it may seem you could try pushing your butt further back on the seat. The logic is that it has a cantilever effect to take weight off the arms and wrists. It works on a push bike, which I have more experience of, and I'm pretty sure it works on my blade too.

#13 dgr, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Doesn't with mine because the angle of the seat tends to draw you forward. You're defo right though, It is more comfortable back in the seat!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

I agree. I spent years as a triathlete racing on “profile” bars but shoving my arse back any more would mean I’d have to invest in longer pillion seat. The worse time though was filtering through lots of traffic - not conducive to the streamlined approach...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I use grip puppies on my single adventure bike to reduce the vibration.

It helps a lot if you get buzzing hands & numb fingers. They are soft foam like and increase th egrip size by about 5 mm.

Since you are getting aches, the increased grip size may help you.

If you think you have tennis elbow, then elbow support deffinitely helps.

Relax you grip; you ride improves and less stress on the said muscles.

For wrist ache, the biggest problem is the angle whith the handle bar. This depends on your body geometry so changing the bar height should help.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

Sorry, they were fitted along with some other things I wanted done, so I don't remember the break down, but it definitely was not a great deal.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I fitted raised and back bars to my R1, they only moved position by about 25mm each way but transformed the bike, I had wrist and hand issues the same as you.I got mine off ebay they were the adjustable type, Also if you are traveling on bumpy roads it is worth making sure your suspension is set up right as this will increase wrist pain

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I forgot to say mine took about 2 hours to fit but included a lot of tinkering, I was not doing it for speed I would say a garage should fit in an hour.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I bought mine from amazon (around £14 back in 215)