Grips & Bar End Sliders

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by BladeHRC, Jul 6, 2011.

1. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I added Renthal dual compound road race grips and R&G bar end sliders today. Didnt quite get it right and might have to bin the grips and go again as I'm fussy!

Basically, I put the clutch side grip on first and pushed it up against the light switch clamp. I used a bit of carb cleaner to help it slide on. This worked quite well as it appeared to melt the old glue a bit and make it tacky. The carb cleaner then evaporates and the grip is now rock solid.

Problem is, I then fitted the bar end slider and it looks like the grip has gone on too far... or is that how it is supposed to look? The grips are the same length as the OEM ones and I havent moved anything on the bars. I tried to wriggle the grip back off the bar but like I say, it's solid!

I then thought stuff it and fitted the throttle side. Same thing again except there's also a gap between the grip and the throttle clamp as there is a ridge for the OEM grip to grab onto. (ie. there's a groove in the OEM grip that fits over the throttle tube ridge).

Anyone else fitted grips and r&g bar end sliders that have managed a better job than me???? (told you I was fussy!!!)

[​IMG]

2. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Not R&G but aftermarket bar ends and Renthal race grips. I always use hair spray on mine and the grips stay wet for a few hours so i fitted the bar ends and pulled the grips back.

In the past iv managed to break free glued grips by twisting the hell out of them lol.. Otherwise for the sake of 8 odd bucks just cut the grips off and start again

3. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Ye thats what I thought... start again. Will go for hairspray next time though - ta!

Are there any grips that have the grove for the throttle tube lip like the OEM ones or do they all just but up to it and leave an ugly gap?!

4. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

I use evostick on the left side and hairspray on the throttle.

Be carefully the throttle grip doesn't fun against the bar end if it's sticking out too far. If your grips are in be same position as OE then it must be them weights which are standing off a lot. Doesn't look right as it is though.

5. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I'm pretty sure, the bar end weights wont go in any more, so I might try and slide the throttle a little off the bar (only needs a few mil). As for the clutch side, I'll try and muscle the grip off a bit, but I dont fancy my chances! Should I try heating it a bit with a hot air gun?

6. dan.1moore1

Iv seen R&G ends fitted and there is no gap. My grips went on flush at first ,exactly how yours are now so i just held the inside edge and stretched the grips back over the bar ends
    As Flatstick said thou make sure the throttle side does not rub and stick the throttle

The bike looks lovely by the way

7. masher66

masher66 Active Member

I always use GT85, prob just wd40 works fine and no twist/slippage !

8. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Really! I would have thought that that would be the last stuff to put on under yer grips!?

9. dan.1moore1

WD40? and it sticks ?

10. masher66

masher66 Active Member

It sticks

11. fisher

fisher Active Member

You could try heating them up with a hair drier, I also use hairspray to fit them

12. damodici

damodici Active Member

Just fitted r&g bar end sliders tonight and mine are standing off a bit, not quite as much but a bit.

What's getting me though is that they still turn even though I've screwed the screw in as tight as I can, they kinda keep spinning as though the inner is turning with them all as well.

Is that how they just are on the blade?

[​IMG]

#12 damodici, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  13. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I carefully tapped the locking thread nut wotsit that sits inside the bar in a bit with a brass drift and the bar end weights go where they are supposed to now. :)

14. damodici

damodici Active Member

What so further in than the picture I've just posted?

So should I just knock it in a few mm at a time until it sits flush?

15. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

hi bud thats exactly how mine went on, im happy with that look.

16. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Yes mate... take them off, then you can tap the locking nut in a bit. There's a little stopper to prevent them from dissappearing inside the bar but you can gently tap them in a bit so that this passes the end of the bar and they still work the same. Basically make a note of how much further you would like them to go and tap the nut in by that amount. One side stuck out more than the other on mine.

17. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

This is the only photo I have...

[​IMG]

18. damodici

damodici Active Member

Do everybody elses still turn?

19. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

The standard ones just turn

20. dan.1moore1