Helmsley TT

Discussion in 'Events, Meetings & Ride Outs' started by Tezza H, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

Does any of you boys ever do the Helmsley, Pickering, Whitby run on a Thursday evening, it's worth it for the fish :)

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Not me. But I reckon it'd be worth the 4-hour ride just to check out your bike!

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Bit too far away just for evening run but we do that route quite a few times on Sundays in the summer...it's great :)

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Map it out on Google and post it in the Rideouts section. Sounds like one for the Too Do list ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Could incorporate the B1363 from York up to Helmsley, that would be cracking ride :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

The road everyone goes for is Stokesley to Helmsley, it's a belter. Helmsley very busy with bikes, Pub, Cooplands, icecream :) then Pickering to whitby is a nice road.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ledwardio

ledwardio Active Member

Heavily policed up there - keep your wits about you

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

I've seen more ambulances up there than police but your right you need to be vigilant o_O

9. KeepitPinned

KeepitPinned New Member

I live local and to be honest avoid it in the hight of summer, (Helmsley-Stokesley) almost taken out a couple of years ago by a nutter on an R1, blind bend wrong side of the road trying his best to get his knee down.....wow! Too many lads push it and don't know the road well enough or their ability. Weekends and sunny days, more often than not camera vans between Thirsk-Helmsley, Helmsley-Scarborough & Whitby and Helmsley-Stokesley........ Beware the kamikaze Pheasants

#9 KeepitPinned, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Precisely why I only ride during the week while everyone else is at Work. No idiots in cars and unfortunately to say on motorbikes either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I faced that EXACT situation only last week on a dual carriageway known as Fish Hill near Broadway, Worcs. Rider oncoming on my side of the road causing me to take evasive action. Had I have been in a car, there might easily have been a collision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

I hear what your saying guys and I don't like to go against the grain but this can happen on any road, we have some good roads around here popular with the bikers and more often it ends up been a spirited ride out, Helmsley road is very popular and has abit of everything, Jumps, blind bends, steep hills, pheasants and deer, personally I love it.
    I must admit, you do have to watch out for them poor R1 riders, they cant help it :eek:

if you to ride to road conditions and speed limit you will be fine, if you choose to have fun, you pays your money and take your chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

This is the thrust of the thread though, Tezza. Both @KeepitPinned and me, whilst riding to conditions, were nearly taken out by OTHERS choosing to have fun.

14. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

I genuinely understand what your saying but its the perils of modern motorcycling iI'm afraid, I still think overcrowded roads and cars chugging along at 30 in a 60 limit pose a much grater hazard than the occasional low flying biker.

Last yeah we came around a corner on the Helmsley road and theres the Air ambulance.landed in the middle of the road, a deer had jumped the fence and landed on the rider, 2 broken arms and chest injuries, whats the chances of that ?, like I say it can happen anywhere. .

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

On a lighter note :) if a few boys ever end up coming over and the weather is good, Ill try and talk my buddy to come out on his RC45, its a stunner :):)

16. KeepitPinned

KeepitPinned New Member

A sprited ride out with mates is one thing racing is another.... these lads were racing make no mistake. Agree about slow weekend sight seeing drivers at 30-40mph, that's the problem with living in Beautiful Yorkshire I suppose. Think it was far more dangerous back in the 80's/90's when there were far more sports bikes on the road too. Having said that there were quite a few sports bikes up in Helmsley last Sunday..... great ride and no Camera vans :D

17. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Now we are talking. The RC45 is still my favourite. It must be the Honda Man in me because they were around during the Ducati 916 period. The RC45 was the one I lusted after.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tezza H

Tezza H Active Member

It lives in his living room and now is insured for £37K. when he gets it out its like a magnet to bikers who know what it is.

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'd love to know who his insurance company is. As you've probably read in my earlier threads, I got hammered by insurance companies for £22K.

On the other matter, I've already said I won't tour Scotland by bike (even with The Proclaimers in my headphones) but I would ride up there to see a mint RC!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

Four bikes I would buy if I won the lottery; Honda RCV, the brand new but never ridden Honda SP1 and SP2 (v-twin) off Hunts Honda Manchester, the new Fireblade SP2. One can only dream. Now back to topic.