Help with tyre changing and balancing choices

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by -steves-, May 28, 2015.

1. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

After my not so local fitter (30 miles away) wants £55 to change and balance tyres for 2 lose wheels I have decided to look into doing this myself.

Found a few options, top at the moment is the Sealey tc965 with a Sealey tc963 and a Sealey balancer. Total cost is around £350 ish, give or take. After that its about £700 for a semi auto kit and then the balancer on top of that.

Does anyone have experience in this area and can give me advice on what to buy and possibly where from?

I have 3 sets of wheels to do at the moment so this might be a bit of an investment.

Many thanks
    Steve

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

do a search,been a few threads on ths.but can be done for half that money,and as jimbo,you'll save at least 10k a year :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Where are you based? That's expensive - my local place does it for £10 a wheel fitted to lose wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  4. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

I am in Cambridge, but I can't find anyone locally to change them, our local one was called Wheelfit seems to have closed a couple of months ago for a "refit" and never seems to have opened again, gutted!

I now have to go to Bury St Edmunds, so a fivers worth of fuel in the car to pay another £55 a pair to change and balance, so for each pair its going to set me back £60 and I have 3 pairs to change asap.

I have searched the threads and found people use the Sealey stuff, but was wondering if it does any damage to alloy wheels in the process?

5. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

7. Muffking

Muffking God Like

• Like Like x 1
  8. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Strangely enough that bar was already on my watch list along with 50 valves and a 5KG tub of soap, forgot about that weights though :oops:

9. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

We just picked up the sealey tc 965 and tc 963 for 235ish quid inc del brand new in sealey promotions, the 963 bar does have some pretty hefty weight to it rite enuff not sure if the dude on eBay sells a lighter bar as it looks to be made of alloy rather than the steel bar of the sealey.

As for the balancer I picked up a sealey replica from Germany a while back for £40.

10. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Where did you get the Sealey deal from please?

11. N1xxl

N1xxl Member

WTF to the price and yo why your not doing it yourself. Cheapest is a garden spade, 2 michelin type tyre levers, 3 rim protectors, fairy liquid, 20mm rigid rube across a rear paddock stand and seld adhesive wheel weights. Boom done. Search youtube for either Bongo or bike tyre changing. Watch and learn. 5 mins a tyre easy peasy.

12. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

13. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

I have used and have the lever changing option you posted but the use of the tyre machine and bar is so so much quicker and safer of the wheels ie scratching and chipping.

14. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Does anyone know what valve number I need for a motorbike wheel? TR412 or TR413 or something else???? :eek::oops:

15. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Well thats the bulk of it bought now, just the valves to go, so if anyone can help with a part number or ebay link that would be great. Thank you to everyone so far.

16. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

The tr412 valves are better suited to bikes as they are shorter than the 413's.
    They help with getting the airline in to the valves without being too close to the discs on the front.
    But if it's for your own bike I would recommend going with the angled Bridgeport valves (11.3mm size) which makes inflating the tyres a lot easier.

#16 ShinySideUp, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  17. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Brilliant, thank you, just the info I needed. Bought 2 sets of 90 degree Bridgeport Valves for our own bikes as well as a bag of 50 x 413's for when everyone else wants theirs doing, lol ;)

18. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

19. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Not to piss on your cheap parade lol but the same unit can be found lil cheaper on the eBay......;)

Anyway the unit you bought is pretty much a clone of the sealey unit and similar to the unit I have the only thing you might wanna add to yours is a bubble level like in link below to make sure the balancer is level before flinging a wheel on it. :)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROUND-SUR...357?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c985f2185

20. Muffking

Muffking God Like

You've not seen my balancer then. Complete with adjustable width dowling ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1