High milage?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Steve6904, May 15, 2017.

1. Steve6904

Steve6904 New Member

Hi Guys and Girls
    I'm looking at buying a 2009 'blade with 66,000 miles on the clock.
    Thats just over 8 grand a year.
    Is that considered a lot of miles? Is it something I should be concerned about?

2. blake7

blake7 Active Member

Hell yeah that's high mileage. I personally would not buy a bike with that kind of mileage, but if I were to take a chance it would have to be cheap at around 3k with full service history.

Most 09 blades will have on average 20k miles as a comparison.

3. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

It's just a number :)

If it's been looked after properly and has evidence of the important stuff being serviced then it will be in better condition than most 20k mile bikes that only come out in the summer and have the minimum amount of servicing done.

At that mileage I'd want to see evidence of forks and shock being rebuilt, bearings replaced and valve checks done properly ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Yeah ignore the high number. If the bike has been looked after and has been serviced regularly then its should ride fine.

Performance bikes bought a blade with over 40k miles on her, and with a little work and effort she was back to her best with 169bhp at the rear wheel :)

How much are they looking for?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve6904

Steve6904 New Member

£3999

6. Steve6904

Steve6904 New Member

7. Steve6904

Steve6904 New Member

8. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Looks clean enough. Do double check the valve clearances have been done and the cam chain tensioner isn't rattling. If there is no evidence of fork oil being changed then get them to service them or ask for money off the bike as the suspension will defo need refreshing. As for the rear shock, there is usually a few BFRC shocks from 12+ models on here for sale that would sort the back end out.

Check the thickness of the front discs too. If they are at the limit then they'll need replacing as well as the standard rubber brake hoses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steve6904

Steve6904 New Member

Thanks for the advice. Whats wrong with the 09 shocks? Are the 12+ simply better?

10. blake7

blake7 Active Member

I personally would not pay £4k for an 09 with 66k on the clocks. The resale value will be low also.

I'd save a little more and get something with less miles.

Think of all the wear not only on the engine, but wheel bearings, headstock bearings, suspension etc.

It's your money though :)

11. martin buckingham

martin buckingham New Member

Hi Steve, i gotta 2012 annivesary model with 41k on the clock, full honda service history,all paperwork,its a bit more £5200 but dont know if its something youd be interested in

12. Alblade

Alblade God Like

It's only when you've seen a 80k + engine and gearbox stripped to every last nut, had it inspected by separate 2 engineers who report almost zero wear that you understand that if regularly serviced these bikes can take a great mileage.

I know because it happened to my engine - it was not due to wear it had to be stripped

Put it this way, if you looked at an 09 1 litre car with 50k on the clock it would have weighed around 1,000kg - so the same size engine moving 200 kg on a road bike for a few miles is not so bad.

Things to watch for are : Head bearings, clutch cable, wheel bearings, throttle cable wear, fork oil, rear shock bearing at the pivot point.

I can provide plenty of pics of what my engine / gearbox

• Like Like x 3
  13. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Re price I would say its £500 too high - just my thoughts

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Like all bikes, condition and documentation are your best friends. If someone has piled on some miles then you want to see evidence of maintenance, which the most crucial is fluids and filters.

As for mileage, if that's what you want and it checks out then go for it, ignore the doom merchants :)

Have had a number of high mileage Blades without issue, the highest being 95K in 3 years, 4k oil changes and oem filters are your best investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

The best thing is to have a look around and see what else you can get for similar money. You could easily blow a load of cash on a lower mileage bike that hasn't been looked after and needs new chain and sprockets etc etc. Ride a newer low mileage one if you've not ridden a blade before and test ride this one to see how tight it feels, if it's done 60k up and down the motorway it will have probably have had little stress on the engine, and the suspension etc would have not had much demanded of it. If it has done 60k just on track and Sunday blasts it would be a different story, and cost a bomb in track days . :)

Just give it a good check over as high millers are usually ridden all year round to rack up the miles (not necessarily a bad thing) but they get exposed to all the shite weather so make sure there's no bad corrosion behind the fairings. And as others have said, if it's been properly serviced too. Don't worry too much about the valve clearances, my friends a mechanic at the local Honda dealers and they practically never have to re shim blades. You'll want to see evidence that they have been checked though.

Personally I'd say 4K was a bit steep for the mileage. (I'd want it to be freshly serviced, and have pretty new tyres/chain/Sprockets and plenty of disc/pad wear left etc). I've seen some really mint bikes go for around 5k - 5.5k, but if 4K is your max budget that means nothing. Definitely get a test ride to check it out if your serious.

16. zxrob

zxrob Active Member

High mileage would not put me off a purchase, I recently bought my daughter a little corsa, 120k on it, one owner, full service history, got it for peanuts, cracking little car in lovely condition

My mate has a zzr1200, 140k on the clock, serviced regularly, never missed a beat

With high milers, you should look to buy cheap, enjoy and run it into the ground:)

Rob

17. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

I kept one of these for 2 years from 08, was really nice in the flesh with the sparkle in the paint. On top of the other advice it's worth checking the black part of end can for corrosion, especially on top and where it tucks down under the swingarm. The paint wasn't great and as I used mine year round it needed replacing under warranty. A new part was released with better paint.

Rode mine in any and all weathers. I rode it back from work in a full on blizzard, passed cars abandoned at the side of the road and it never gave me any hassle.