I need a new kettle - but NOT made in China

Discussion in 'Non Bike Related' started by Kevin1, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

has anybody bought a kettle recently not made in China?
    We need a new kettle and would ideally like one that isn't made in the far east.

2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

What about a Le Creuset stove top kettle? Expensive but still made in France and more economical than an electric kettle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Abb

Abb Active Member

I genuinely don't think such a thing exists :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I think Dualit are made in the UK

5. Abb

Abb Active Member

Partially correct. Toasters are, kettles aren't! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

8. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I bought a Kenwood kettle a few months ago. I am sure that said is was made in the UK. Nothing fancy though .....

10. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Have you got a link Mattie?

11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sorry no link, I bought it in the shop M&S.

I have just turned it upside down and it is "designed and engineered in the UK" but.........made in China ...sorry :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

You inspired me to look at the M&S website. They have withdrawn these products from sale because they require two man delivery. eh? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Have been on a one man crusade for several years to try to not buy made in China.

Its fooking impossible, thanks to our American cousins corporate greed that basically transferred all their manufacturing and a lot of knowledge to a peasant economy purely to enrich a few, on the backs on cheap unregulated and poorly treated labour, which in turn led the rest of the developed worlds corporations to do the same, and 30 years down the line, eh presto! we have a highly aggressive global power attempting to become the new America, unlike old America I doubt it will get into the same state as it is currently, more like it will spread its control freak tentacles further and further into countries around the world, just look at what happens when we see any current supposed criticism of China anywhere in the world, justified or not, they to turn to both economic and electronic warfare immediately, and with a billion plus robots under their spell it’s quite a powerful army.

If ever the world needs to wake up and see what dependency on what one countries manufacturing base can do to their economies and populations and security then the issue of supply and demand in the current pandemic should be the biggest wake up call in our lifetimes......but don’t hold you breath fellow citizens, the only hope to counterbalance them, the mighty US of A, having said above, ironically created the modern China, has spent decades looking up its own arse and slowly destroying itself as the rest of the world looks meekly on and the next biggest alliance, Europe is a complete fooking shambles masquerading as a Union when in reality it’s own individual nationalistic desires are its biggest weakness.

Early morning rant over, now I need a cuppa made in my German branded Chinese made kettle, that is a complete pile of shite, to the point that John Lewis have replaced it 3 times in the last year and the lid still flies opening when it boils, thankfully their ABS is better than their kettles, well done Bosch.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

At the risk of hijacking my own thread. I lived in Huddersfiled for many years. When the mills closed down, it wasn’t that no one needed the cloth anymore, apparently we needed it cheaper. So the mills closed down and all the looms etc weren’t scrapped, oh no. They were shipped to China.
    Marks and Spencer resisted the Far East manufacturing route and used to pride itself on still selling clothes that were made in the U.K. But they had to give in due to U.K. made clothing being comparatively expensive. It wasn’t long before we started seeing clothing made in Bangladesh, shoes made in Vietnam, Clarks. I hope this process is reversible but even if it is, it could take decades.
    And don’t get me started on sucking up to the Russians because they have all the gas.
    Morning rant over.
    Do I spend £140 on a kettle? Just to get one not made in China.

My iPhone 6 is also due for replacement, I’m pretty sure I won’t have option to replace that with one made in Italy at any price.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Amen to that brother, as the saying goes ..........

162E06B1-CFB3-4568-B8C1-9208FDE39318.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

After quite a bit of research it looks like my quest is fairly pointless. Unless I want to stove top kettle, which i don't. Who wants to get up and turn the kettle off everytime? Not me.
    So it's gonna have to be a Chinese one. Bummer.
    It's a pity Amazon don't put country of manufacture on the website/App.

17. Si.

Si. God Like

#17 Si., Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Si.

Si. God Like

Also goes well with my UK MADE Dualit toaster too.. like you, I’ve been on a crusade to buy NON CHINA MADE for years, but it’s expensive and hard to come by...

033DCE99-19F1-4205-8AE5-09022429B8C1.jpeg

if I buy anything these days, I avoid Chinese made stuff everywhere I can... it’s unreliable, cheap quality and made by slave labour, and sometimes, can cost you your life..Buy cheap, buy twice...

the only downer is that’s it’s expensive to buy home or EU manufactured gear, but on the whole, will last a lifetime.

Japanese stuff... now there’s quality, as is India made wood cabinets and flooring.

#18 Si., Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

My microwave is a PANASONIC, maybe they make kettles as well.

Otherwise Suzuki or Kawasaki probably make them :D

20. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

• Like Like x 1