It had to happen

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Clarkey, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey Member

Yes I have been caught on a Mobil speed camera doing 81 in a 60
    Travelling down the A31 dual carriageway, my question is this they have offered me a driver aware coarse ,so that means no points on my licence
    But I've been told if you get caught again after doing the coarse then they will throw the book at you
    Has anybody on here had any experience on this
    Thanks

2. Si.

Si. God Like

Lucky to get a speed awareness course at that speed mate!

Snap their hand off.

3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Is that because they don't have the evidance though?

4. RichC

RichC Active Member

How long was the offence to you receiving your NIP?

5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

you still worried Rich ;)

6. RichC

RichC Active Member

Papping it mate game over if so..

7. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

What part of the A31 was it Clarkey ,I use this road lots

8. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I reckon you'd be surprised what you can do and still evade a ban. The beak even asked me if I could just take the week off work, but I didn't want a ban on my license for 5 or 10 years, which ever it is. So i made my excuses and took a bigger fine and points.

9. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

get a good lawyer if your job is on the line, a plumber I know was caught in his car doing 106mph on the A1 and got away with a big fine and some points (with a good lawyer)
    another guy got caught 102mph on A1, no lawyer, banned :(

10. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Naughty boy! Take the course but all that happens next time is they give points straight away as you can only do one awareness course in a 3 year period

11. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Absolutely Bonkers Mad...

You should have followed this advice, i know 3 people that followed similar advice to this and won....

This is the method adopted by Chief Police Constables and recommended by serving Police Officers themselves. It is a matter of keeping your nerve in the face of the intimidation and threats.

When faced with completing the two parts of the form sent to you remember two things:

Part One - Nominating a Driver: You must nominate a driver because they have changed the law to compel you to do so. You will be crucified if you don't. BUT, just because you confirm who was driving (or nominate your wife!) for the date/time in question, this automatically means that you are guilty. That is why they have part two....

Part Two - Admitting the Offence: For the speeding offence, you are actually innocent until proven guilty and they must produce enough evidence to prove you are guilty. This is where you stop them speeding to take you to court.

Completing Part Two of the Form:
    Do NOT complete it as doing so admits guilt and you do NOT have to admit that you are guilty, this is the law of the land. Write a covering letter stating:
    i. I am unable to complete part two of the form and admit guilt because I have no recollection of being in that location at that time and date.
    ii. I request that you provide a copy of the available photographic evidence which confirms that I am guilty of the offence.
    Post the letter using recorded delivery so that your letter probably gets mislaid along the way.

Wait for them to provide the evidence. Just wait because the onus is now on them and a Police Officer must now be taken off crime fighting duties in pursuit of your £60. This is where economic and common sense takes over in many instances, and, you may hear nothing more.

If presented with the evidence is it conclusive? Does it clearly identify you (and no-one else) as the driver? If not, it might be a car the same make/model/colour as yours and have the same registration number, a lot of cloning goes on these days. Don't be threatened and intimidated by them, stand your ground and point out that it is inconclusive. If they persist and take you to court, it is just as inconclusive in your case as is it for your local Chief Constable.

If you were caught driving at an inappropriate speed or dangerously in a built up area, you deserve to be shot. However, for us all, the law of the land is the law of the land and you are entitled to defend yourself.

When you are successful in defending yourself in this way, send a cheque for £60 to the local Police Benevolent fund. Most serving officers feel exactly the same way you do about this and need your support.

• Like Like x 2
  12. scooby

scooby Elite Member

sorry matt but that's bollox.

if you go to court,your looking at lot more than 60 quid,as the magistrate,that you will be facing will take a very dim view of you trying to weazzle out of something that you actually did,then theres a bigger fine,and court costs.

on the other hand,you take this approach,commit an offence and get caught,then take it like a man.

13. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Absolutely Bonkers Mad...

I agree, take it like a man, but i can promise you in works and it most cases never goes to court.....

14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I also remember that the magistrate take an early guilty plea into consideration and apply a discount to the fine. Something like 25% ?

Edit: Just Googled it and it's a 33% discount on the fine.
    That would have meant my £500 fine would have been around £650 if I didnt send the forms back early and plead guilty.

#14 Muffking, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  15. RepsolSam

RepsolSam Well-Known Member

The police make money out of the speed awareness courses....loads of money!

16. scooby

scooby Elite Member

but thats if your summoned,not if you recieve a fixed penalty notice.

17. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

The police make nothing off cameras, or fines.

All the money from awareness courses goes to the safety camera partnership, and is the sole source of funding for any new cameras and maintenance of existing ones ever since 2010 when the government pulled funding from local authorities for speed cameras.

Oddly though, the money from court fines goes straight to HM Treasury, win win for them.