Kawasaki zx12r or stick with the SRAD?.. or something else.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by zeepony, Dec 28, 2011.

1. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Thinking very hard about a potential new commuter bike and would like to hear opinions.

Major things to consider are:

1) its 100 mile round trip.
    2) 50% motorways and 50% avoiding cyclists drinking Starbucks and talking on the iphone.
    3) Theft - 4 bikes stolen in as many months last year.
    4) Gas - not so much money, but range - so annoying stopping almost every day.
    5) Wind noise - my worst niggle about long rides. (so dont suggest non faired bike)

I've used an old gixxer 750 for over a year now and like it very much, but the size of the bike and the age is getting a little annoying. A lot of my time is spent fixing bits at the weekends and im getting bored of it. (BTW, i'm 6ft 4)

I have an opportunity to get a 15k, zx12r from a dealer for £3600 with fresh rubber, 3 month warranty etc. and generally good aftersales care and i trust them.

I rode it a couple of months ago and liked it very much, but pulled out as they wanted £4k at the time.

Its a bit expensive, but some are on bike trader for £5k+!

Also, i'd like to do some longer Euro runs this summer.

Any advise or experience of zx12r's would be helpful.

Danke.

Zee

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

12R baby... :) Or the dotted line for a 14.. ;)

3. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Zx12r is sensible.Gixxer srad upto k4's to me are hard work thats why I sold mine.Honda Pan europeans are good bikes and some are cheap as chips.

4. rocket

rocket Active Member

i had 2 zx12r,s both b models an 02 and 06. very good bike super quick and stable and would cover a long distance with ease. only downside is depending on your riding style they can be thirsty if pushed and you,d have to get a more touring based set of tyres as i destroyed a rear sports tyre in 1200 miles and that was with 600 miles of running in. wish i could of still kept my last one but wanted something more flickable and lighter.

5. rocket

rocket Active Member

here is the last one i had.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Givover

Givover God Like

Looks like you have nearly talked yourself into the zx12r .Its a lot of bike for the money and as its a big motor its sort of just run in at 15k ? if you go for it try to squeeze 6 months warranty i have have the 600 /zx10 and the zzr1400 and all very good the 1400 being very heavy if you are going slow or pushing the sucker in and out of the garage but i can't comment on the weight of the 12 but it may be worth having a push or two if required.

7. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Thanks dudes:

I'd like the 14, but like the Busa.. its FUGLY! (sorry anyone that has a Busa, it just looks like its been parked too close to a fire!)
    Yes, SRAD is hard work and i need to be more comfortable.
    Thanks Rocket - good to know a previous owner of multiple 12's. I've got the blade for scratching so i guess i could live with a heavyweight as TBH on the motorways, i just want to be more comfy!

Hopefully if i buy the 12, then I shouldnt loose too much dough on it as im sure it will always be worth something!

8. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Ohhhhh just seen the pics and Giv's post! Niiiice - Love the black and gold but sadly this one is a metalic silver blue :( - looks nice though.. hang on.. dunno if this link to bike trader works..

KAWASAKI ZX 12R

BTW, what does the "B" model signify?

#8 zeepony, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  9. vino

vino New Member

If you just want a semi-economical commuter hack, then I'd look at a Blackbird, ZX-12, or a Busa. If you're set on the ZX-12, then go get it. January's probably the best time to buy a used bike.

10. vino

vino New Member

Looks good enough Zee. Slightly camp in the colour scheme department though..... Gotta be worth a £500 discount

11. Givover

Givover God Like

This was mine for 1800 miles [​IMG][/IMG]/IMG][/I[​IMG]MG]

12. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

Why you get rid giv? I love both them big kwaks

13. Horney

Horney Active Member

Nice bike there but as said before and probably why the dealer has had it so long is the colour. A lot of bike for the money. My old man had one for a couple of years and loved it however he blames a sore neck he gets now and again from that bike riding peterhead to southampton in one day, should have maybe put a different screen or helibars on but he traded it in.

It was a really nice blue, think it was an import

14. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Yes, the colour is not what you'd choose from new maybe, but as far as thieving goes - i think it draws less attention (trying to turn a negative into a positive!). Its not quite as lilac in the flesh - i took this pic of it a couple of months ago..

zx12r.JPG

15. Horney

Horney Active Member

Do it, I don't think you'll regret it one bit. SRAD trackbike?

16. Benn The Pig

Benn The Pig Well-Known Member

I like the colour

17. Givover

Givover God Like

Hi Benn Its a strange one .I had the playboy blade and loved it and have always had sports bikes .Anyhow i had just completed a project in Bolton and i got friendly with a guy whos house was next door and he had and still has a zzr1400 so we went out for a long ride and on the way back he said do you want a go on mine so we swopped and stright away i thought fuck thats so fast easy to ride went over bad road as though you were on a bowling green it had the lot ,when we stopped he said the blade was like riding a plank of wood (and he was right) so then i though its time to hang up my boots and grow up and so did the deal within a week i was on it .However at the time of purchase i still wasn't sure i liked the back end but thought i could make it look better with canz and cowl and screen ect but once on liked it but not really so every time i went in the garage i was sort of cheesed but now owned a new bike so had to get on with it . Then two more things came into the equasion one that i nearly dropped the sucker outside a garage due to weight when pushing it (i am 6ft and 15 stone) and the other which i found hard to take in that it was a lot more uncomfortable then the blade by now i had sold my race suit gloves and white go faster boots and was decked in the sensible H/G 2 piece goretext goodies so even more committed .So i go for a run from Warrington over the trough of bowland and into Lancaster but on the way back had to stop twice because my back was in tatters so when i got home i broke the news to Elaine (this is after i also rigged her up as well) that the game was over i had made a mistake and within a week was the pround owner of the HRC 11 and yes this sucker is a lot more comfortable so a small ride doe's not always tell the full story. Sorry if you have nodded off but i thought you may like the full expensive hit Ha!

#17 Givover, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  18. blade65

blade65 Active Member

Have you considered an FJR1300? I commuted for 2 years on one and have owned 2. Never had a problem with either until I crashed and wrote one off.

Seriously good bikes for commuting, no chain adjustments necessary as shaft drive, has the electronic elevating screen and very good fuel economy. Goes like FCUK if required and has excellent protection from the weather with the fairing.

Mick

19. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Got to go with vino - I'd get a blackbird. Or a BMW, if the budget allows. Unbeleivable when it comes to crunching miles... Mine had 80k (old k reg k1100) before it died. Would have fixed no bother but didn't need it anymore so binned it.

K1200 could be similar money mate?

20. rocket

rocket Active Member

#20 rocket, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011