Knocking from engine

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Milky, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Milky

Milky Active Member

Need some advice folks. 2005 Blade which I get approx. 2 weeks ago. Noticed today that when it's sitting idling, hot or cold, there's an occassional knocking, I think from the right side of engine. When you blip throttle it also gives a little knock when revs return to idle. Bike has full service history. Nothing when bike is revved from idle or when riding. I suspect cam chain/tensioner. If so does it need seen to or is this normal for this bike, or am I away off the mark. Help:fie:

2. scratcher

scratcher Active Member

CCT is more of a rattle than a knock. The thing is one mans knock is another mans rattle.

3. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Agree with Scratcher, most unlikely to be a knock as with these machines the bottom end is very reliable. What mileage has the bike done? Does the noise disappear after the engine has warmed up, if so then its the early signs the cam chain is on the way out.

4. Milky

Milky Active Member

It's till there after a 20-30 mile ride. Bikes just done 11,000 miles

5. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

dose the noise dissapear when the clutch is pulled in? hondas have a clutch rumble as standard

6. Milky

Milky Active Member

No still there when clutch pulled in

7. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Its when it doesn't make a noise you need to worry lol.. `Seriously thou with out hearing it its a tough one to call. could you upload a youtube video?

If it was me i would pop into a bike garage and get a mechanic to listen

8. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yeah, I'll take it back on Friday to where I bought it and let them have a listen.12 months warranty after all. Had another listen and it doesn't sound terminal, just a bit 'unusual' let's say

9. masterblader

The CCT is a bugger to get to on the 05, the carbed blades has easier access.
    The ratchet on the CCT may have jammed and would need to be wound out and then released to reset its normal position. Has worked many times on both carbed and injector blades.

10. Milky

Milky Active Member

Thanks for the replies folks. Taking her back tomorrow pm to let the Honda mechanic have a listen, but his diagnosis over the phone was probably camchain

11. masterblader

Doubt that very much milky, at 11k miles can you imagine how many would have gone back under warranty? IMO CCT is locked up or in need of replacement coz the feeble coil spring has been known to snap off.

12. Milky

Milky Active Member

I'll keep you all posted as it'll be interesting to find out what's wrong, or may be I'm just imagining things:yu:

13. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

My mates track bike had a similar knocking to whats described here... He busted up the gear box and is getting a new engine :(

But on the plus side its not that dear and he's re-conditioning the old gear box as a spare unit.

BTW, this was a pretty loud knocking so dont freak out!

14. Milky

Milky Active Member

Not Good News

Took bike to Honda dealership I bought it from. Wheeled it into workshop where me, the mechanic and salesman all listened intently, and guess what? It didn't do it. Gave it 5 mins after which, when I explained the symptons, the mechanic thought it might be 'dropping' a cylinder and wanted it back in to replace plugs and balance all the cylinders etc etc. Fine, so I wheeled the bike outside after booking it in, started it up and, thank god, it started the knocking again.
    Mechanic had a listen and immeadiately said I wasn't riding it away. He reckons it's coming from the clutch but says it's not something he's encountered before. Anyway, he's starting with stripping the clutch out. Bad news is, he goes on holiday today for a week, so the earliest he can start on it is week this Monday. I've known the mechanic for years and he knows what he's talking about and is s##t hot. Still they gave me a CBR 600F meantime and its a hoot to ride. Oh well, that's life I suppose:fie:

15. dan.1moore1

Well at least its getting sorted and you will have a bit of peace of mind when its back .... In the mean time you rag the nuts of the F lol

16. Milky

Milky Active Member

Don't worry Dan, It's getting shafted

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Active Member

Hi guys, My 2006 Blade has a similar symtom. It's more of a rattle than a knock. it does int intermittently. The only way to describe it is very similar sound to the old OHV Ford engine noise. From what I have seen on this thread I'll be looking in the way of the CCT.

Also this may be linked but not sure .... Has anyone heard of a balance shaft being out of alignment?

Cheers

Rich

#17 Blade_Runner, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  18. Milky

Milky Active Member

Rich, I'll get the thread posted with the diagnosis, but as said, it'll be a week today until work starts. The mechanic who listened to it dismissed CCT right away and was convinced it was coming from the clutch housing. Excuse my ignorance but is that in the area of the balance shaft?
    As an aside, I haven't had as much fun in years riding a bike when I've been out on the CBR600F. It's an absolute scream to ride. Only problem is the footpegs deck out quite early and you have to keep it well up the rev band and work the gear box, but it handles like a dream and the brakes are awesome. Certainly would consider it later if they did a 1000cc plus version. Think the Crossrunner is only a 750cc and is based on this one. Worth considering as a wee commuter bike as it nips through traffic excellently.

19. dan.1moore1

is it the new 600f mate ?

20. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yes Dan, the one featured in this months 'Fast Bikes' I got yesterday if you get that mag.